Zopiclone addiction

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been following this forum for a few months now and it has helped me investigate alternaitves to Zopiclone. I haven't posted before as I wanted to post a positive outcome which might help other readers.

?Very briefly (which isn't like me at all!) I was prescribed Zopiclone in October of 2015 after a long term relationship breakdown which left me with chronic insomnia (I coudn't sleep at all without sleeping tablets), inabillity to eat (I lost almost 2 stone in 4 months) and severe depression.

?I am a single parent and run my own business so needed my sleep to be able to put food on the table and to look after my son. The Zopiclone helped with this and I was taking 7.5mg (sometimes 15mg) every night until the end of the year including taking Citalopram (an anti-depressant). I started to get side effects such as memory loss (I once found my keys in the bin), clumsiness (I had bruises on top of bruises) and increased anxiety.  Although I was getting some sleep, it wasn't enough and so my doctor suggested coming off the anti-depressants which he had prescribed which he thought might be counteracting the Zopiclone. I really didn't know whether it was the lack of sleep, the sleeping tablets or coming off the anti-depressants that was making me feel the way that I was.

?I then went on the journey of coming off the sleeping tablets and what a nightmare! I googled everything I could, accessed this forum, read books, had counselling, changed my mattress, changed my diet, had acupuncture, even went to bed with a quartz crystal  one night but nothing seemed to replace the tablets. My doctor then prescribed Molipaxin (50mg) which is an 'old style' anti-depressant which he prescribed for it's sedative effects while I was 'coming off'' Zopiclone. 50mg didn't work so he said to take 100mg - which gave me lower leg pain and also heart palpatations - so I reduced back to 50mg. I also read that some recent research had suggested 2 days of Zopiclone with 2 days off - this made me even more tired (a nurse had suggested this was too drastic) I then did 6 days on and 1 day off (as per her suggestion) but this would have taken too long and I wanted to be back to normal quicker than this. I then cut my 7.5mg in half to 3.75mg and managed to sleep (just enough) with that for about 1 month. I then cut the 7.5mg into quarters (1.875mg) and again managed with that (just enough sleep again) for approx.1 month but could not sleep without taking something. I was soooo frustrated. I then crushed up the quarter tablet with a pestle and mortar to a powder and licked my finger and put this in half the powder and took that, again just enough sleep and did this for approx. 1 month. I am now Zopicone free and I am sooooo relieved that I have done it. I have been Zopiclone free for about 2 weeks now I have also been having acupuncture for around 2 months and also eating Bananas, Figs and drinking cherry juice which is supposed to increase levels of the amino acid Tryptophan which is changed eventually by the body to Seratonin which has naturally calming effects.

?So that's my story and I hope it is hepful to others who are currently suffering with a Zopiclone addiction. Although I was aware that it was an addictive drug, I never thought I would become as totally dependent on it as I was. My body simply could not function without it. I would advise to investigate all the other alternatives than to resort to Zopiclone. I never thought I would come out the other end, but I did. Good luck to everyone battling with this and you can do it!! Claire x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Well done Claire for coming off Zopiclone bu I must add that the method that you chose albeit that you came off is not the right way.

They are just like the drugs known as benzodiazepines of which Diazepam is one.

They need to be tapered slowly and people that want to come off sleeping pills.

I suggest that they read the Ashton Manual of which there is information regarding

how to taper off sleeping drugs.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply to my post. I did read the Ashton manual but the advice was to replace Zopiclone with Diazepam (another addictive drug) which I didn't want to do as I would simply be replacing one addictive drug for another. The alternative suggestion (also by Professor Ashton) of 2 days Zopiclone and 2 days without was too intense as I would not sleep at all 4 nights out of 7. This was the only way that worked for me.

• Posted

Diazepam is, of course, addictive, but it is recommended for people coming off zopiclone because zopiclone is metabolised very quickly in the body, and diazepam is metabolised slowly. Therefore the withdrawal symptoms (when tapering with diazepam) are non-existent.

I'm currently tapering off diazepam in order to get off zopiclone and I have had a couple of slip ups, but basically it's working fine.

However, you did it so well done!

Tess x

• Posted

It's great to hear that you have found a method that is working for you. My doctor did not suggest Diazepam although I knew this was one way of doing it having read the Ashton Manual.

?Keep going as you are not alone (as you can see from this forum) there were times when I thought I would never get through, but I did and you will.? Good Luck!!

• Posted

I have to say that for me crossing over to Diazepam was the worse

thing that i ever did.

With regards to not having withdrawal symptoms whilst tapering is not

the case for a lot of people. You maybe one of the lucky ones.

The main thing is that Claire is now free of her zopiclone . And I dont blame her for not taking diazepam. Like she said it was adding another drug.

I went from another benzo to diazepam to taper. So i was still taking a benzo. In Claires case obviously this wasnt the case.

• Posted

mmmmmm  yes, everyone is different. I find it very interesting how some people are lucky (like me) and others have a really hard time of it.

Glad you're off the stupid things, anyway, tootsie, and I'm giving a lot of thought to rejecting my doctor's advice to stay on ten mg daily for life.

I'm almost down to 14mg daily now. Still plodding on!!

Love Tess x

• Posted

You keep tapering Tess and well done and do what you want to do. It is your body not his.

I was told that I needed to take psych drugs for the rest of my life,

Now drug free for 3 years and getting on with what is known as life.

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I am a 23 year old student, and I initially started taking Zops in 2013...so its been over 4 years

Please dont judge me, as what I am about to reveal may seem alarming. I am ashamed but I feel trapped and I feel like these pills have ruined my life. I want my freedom back sad

So basically I started to take these when I was around 18-19....I cant remember. I remember my grandad gave me a pill once when i couldnt sleep, and I remember feeling euphoric. So what I started to do, was pick his medications up for him and keep the zopiclone for myself. I know, I am so ashamed but I was young and stupid then. After college I began working and thats when i started taking them. Now Ive always been super shy and extremely insecure, and these seemed to have boosted my confidence. So guess what? I take them as soon as I wake up now. Otherwise I stay at home, trapped and isolated without them. I used to take 9, sometimes 5...sometimes 3. I cant remember, ive abused so many.

God what have I done. I couldve easily built up my confidence at work with the support of my coworkers. Now I am fully addicted. After leaving work I have attempted to study twice, but my memory is so bad because of these I cant study. This is my second year attempting to study Psychology. Noone knows about my addiction. I have also been buying them online, as the prescription only gives 30. I basically spend most of my loans on buying them online. Once last year I didnt have any on me for 2 weeks. My god, the withdrawal symptoms were so awful, I felt suicidal. Why did i mess with these? They are ruining my life. I think about the future it scares me. I cant talk to anyone If i dont take them. I cant leave thehouse without them. I want to pass my driving, I want to finish my education, i want to find someone to love, i want children and a successful career but these pills are stopping me from doing so. I cant live like this anymore i feel so trapped and I just want my freedom back. My grandad found out someone had been taking his tablets, and Im so ashamed i lied and said I had no idea. However the pharmacy recognise my face and know i pick them up for him. They dont realise I order double for a monthly repeat, one for him one for myself. But now theyve picked up on it. So now I am taking 2 a day, and I wont be going to the pharmacy anymore as i will get caught. I cant speak to my doctor because they know i pick my grandads pills as i sign them off. Ive tried to wean off them before but i relapsed because i was so depressed and I couldnt even leave the house. I have no siblings and its just me, my parents have always been too busy fighting they have there own problems. From young, ive seen nothing but violence, too busy fighting to ever spend time with me or take me out to social places. I have no friends either.

I have an exam soon and revising whilst on these is so hard. I beg anyone not to touch these tablets, they have ruined my life and i dont know what to do. Its that bad, i have to take one as soon as i get up, in order to be motivated to brush my teeth wash my face and communicate.

Please someone, tell me what can i do? Where can i recieve help from. I feel so lonely and trapped. I want these out of my system for good so I can live my life like normal 20+ year olds do. I beg for forgiveness from God everyday and confide in him. But my confidence and self esteem is so bad I always feel like someone is watching me if i dont take them, even in my house.

I would be so grateful to hear stories or some kind of support. I wish you all nothing but happiness and good health. I found my happiness through zopiclone, i hope you dont take my route

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for sharing your story...

You can forgive yourself by understanding you are Human and like anyone, at some time you may need help. Its occur that at some point the help you found was from these Pills... I understand you, Ive been taking zopi from few years as well... The symptom you describe seem to be some kind of social anxiety and zopiclone act like anti-anxiety... I suggest you ask doctors about antixiolitic or buy plant based anti-stress...

Sharing your story is kind, you helped me understand the risk of taking these pills to found hapiness... I will follown Claire advices to cut the dose until I don't need any! You can try the same!

I also started to learn Yoga and do daily exercices at least 1 hour... Its good to boost confidende and serotonine naturally.

xx

• Posted

Hello Claire

Good on you, top marks, I know what this is like, I too had a relationship break down & severe depression also, I managed to come off my zoplicones with help of family cold turkey, not everyone can do it, & you did very well, I am still on the highest dose of Venlafaxine for depression & this is the strongest antidepressant also, one Dr just WOULD NOT UP IT, & I am on dble what I was, I went to another Dr, I still see him now, just to bump into, & he smiles @ me, feel like saying to him, glad I didn't stick with you, I am a lot better for gng to a more understanding Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.