Zopiclone, and the alternatives

Posted , 9 users are following.

I started this discussion as Egggbert or Zaphod (so many passwords to try and remember).

My personal opinion, Zopiclone is the best and most reliable drug there is for long term insomnia, that being said.

Recently it has been reclssified as a CD4 drug, that means that no UK GP will prscribe more than 7.5mg a day.

After nearly 20 years of taking 15mg a night I was terrified that the 50% reduction would be disaterous. Actually, it wasn`t. I sleep just as well (or poorly) on 7.5mg as I did on 15mg.

Throughout my life, especially since i started working 3 shifts at age 18, I have been taking one sleeping pill or another.

I am now 52, I have yet to find anything as reliable as Zopiclone.

Many people come here and suggest sleep diaries, lavender cushions, chanting Ohm, or whatever. All I can say is, if this works for you then good luck with it.

In the real world, most people with Insomnia need medication of some sort. I am not a fan of using a drugs side effects to treat insomnia, eg, antihistamines, serequel, mirtazapine and so on. Once again if that works for you then fine.

Personally I have found that Zopiclone (even at 7.5mg) is the most reliable and resilient sleeping tablets there is.

Unfortunatelty, like militant vegitarians and the like, some people are against any type of sleeping tablet.

The choice is yours, choose whichever method you like, the only one I can personally endorse is 7.5mg Zopiclone ON.

Paddy

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello zaphod!! I agree totally with what your saying. I only take .5mg and this does it for me. I tried 7.5 was too strong would keep me awake. Whatever works thats great. thanks
  • Posted

I have used Zopiclone for many years. I don't get continual sleep because of bathroom pit stops HA. AND just before I get back into bed I drink more water. I do go back to sleep. The drinking water is something I have done for many years because I got sceptacemia and endotoxic toxic shock during my first pregnancy and they told me to always drink water.

That aside Zopiclone doesn't give you that moggy head feeling in the morning. And if doctors say 7.5mg Zopiclone and to add to it a benzodiazepines seems ludicrous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.