Zopiclone extreme warning

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi folks.

I realise others have posted about this terrible drug, well I wanted to share my own experience with you.

I got a box of these as I were led to believe they were non-addicting compared to valium. My doctor had given me a small supply, but I bought another box online (very stupid, I know).

I was taking them every other day for about a month, maybe 6 weeks.

Sleep was great, my insomnia seemed cured. I developed a brutal headache though toward the end, which no painkiller could help - not even Codeine. Doctors were baffled.

I started crying inexplicably one afternoon.. what was going on? I made the connection around then. I had become horribly addicted to this stuff and the next day headache were withdrawal symptoms.

Well I stopped taking them immediately, again BIG mistake. What followed was perhaps the darkest and lowest point in my life.

For the next few weeks I had the sweats, irritability was through the roof, I was very sensitive to loud or sharp noises. I was getting about 4 hours sleep a night. I was stressed beyond belief. I was crying all the time (totally un-like me). 

Out of desperation I took another half two weeks later and the symptoms almost lifted completely. Such a relief, I really had no idea how far down the rabbit hole I had gone. I had my life back, I could sleep and laugh again! A short lived relief, however as about 36 hours later BOOM back to the shivers of a dreaded cold sweat withdrawal.

It's been very, very slow progress since (about 10 weeks since the last dose). I am getting more sleep, but nothing like the sleep I was getting before this horrible experience began. My appetite has returned, but the depression lingers (although it is not nearly as severe).

Some evidence online suggests I could be experiences this awful feelings for another year or two. Oh Joy!

For the love of god, do not take this poison. How the hell it is approved for medicinal use is beyond me. Be very careful out there

Keywords: Zopiclone, Imovane, depression, anxiety, sleep, suicide, stress zopiclone headache

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its true, for some reason some people can react very intense on this stuff... Especially when one is allready very stressed or exausted...

it can tranform the most loving people in monsters..they can become very aggresive and in some cases they dont even remember their behaviour afterwards...

• Posted

are you american ?

I have been taking this and now with the help of my doctor, its perfectly fine BTW, i have gone from 7.5 down to half and half again and a few nights with nothing,

• Posted

Hi Darren , I first started taking this suppose wonder drug 12 years ago, ! I ordered off the net and gp as before Xmas I was on 10 tablets a day , I am a normal, healthy person not sleeping, I had a major melt down at Xmas , by the way I am a nurse ! I was taking 70 tabs a week , my hubbie called 118247 and a community psychiatric nurse arrived an hour later and they looked after me popping in every night , they referred me to the local drug and alcohol centre , felt very ashamed and embarrassed . They prescribed 30mg of diazepam at night and I am sleeping , it's horrible being anxious and panicky but it's been 6 weeks with no zops X you will get there believe in yourself , you are stronger than you think and good luck . 
  • Posted

I think your post does nothing but scare innocent people, you are not helping, you may have issues related to zopiclone. BUT 99.9% of people DO NOT.

I've been on them for 10 YEARS, on 15mg, 30mg and 7.5mg I've overdosed many many times to sleep and never had an issue.

We need positive stories on here, not Hey you might die!! For god sake, also you have no way of knowing if your issues are related to zopiclone, unless you can prove to me that you feel this way because of the drug you shouldn't automatically associate the two

• Posted

I agree with daniel19975.

I have in in zopiclone 7.5 mg for almost a year. Except for not remembering what I've done or said the few minutes before I fall asleep and the bitter taste in my mouth... I don't feel anything wrong with the drug.

To me, this is a miracle drug as it has relieved me from my sleep problems since I was a child.

Having said that, I will try to decrease my intake after I have fully recovered from my lower back surgery which I am projecting to be within the next 12 months.

I am sad to hear about the horrible experiences of other patients but am thinking if this might be a result of mixed drug interactions. It is also my intent to assure other patients that Zopliclone should be safe if you don't feel otherwise. Please do not get affected by the unpleasant experiences of other patients as each individual is unique and different. What applies to others may not apply to you.

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

i agree with you. 

I am truly sorry people are experiencing such horrible effects from zopiclone.

i have been taking 1x 7.5mg for approximately 3 years now. I have never had a desire to increase this amount or even felt the need to take it during the day.

i work in a hospital and value my sleep as I do not function without a decent nights sleep. I have no intention of stopping this medication that is prescribed for me by my doctor. I started taking this medication as I found it increasingly difficult to fall asleep (could not get my brain to shut down, so I could get to sleep). Once I am asleep, I have a good nights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed, not groggy.

As long as it works, the way I am taking it now, I will continue to take it.

i hope thise if you that are having issues, find some relief.

I have had no side effects at all. 

• Posted

They have been giving me Zopiclone for 4 years straight. It never worked and still doesn't work apart from giving me weeks worth of amnesia and psychotic episodes. why they keep giving it to me I don't know, I've reported the issues but because I have severe insomnia they keep giving it and it doesn't work even at higher doses.

The UK are stupid, they believe benzodiazepines are evil but the Z drugs they force down my neck are worse. The benzodiazepines actually work and just a few weeks supply of them I could have gotten into a good sleeping pattern. anyway the stupid NHS doctors finally learnt there lesson and now I'm given Diazepam for daytime for anxiety and small supplies of Lorazepam for night.

Anyone who gives you Zopiclone tell them to take it themselves, it's awful. it's banned in many countries

• Posted

Hi I have been taking for over twenty years and I can't take much more I have tried to stop but the dreams are terrible but I'm going to try again

• Posted

Hi Darren,

really sorry to hear you had such terrible effects.

Having read so many negative comments though, I wanted to provide balance for future peoples information.

I AM SOOO GRATEFUL FOR ZOPICLONE!! This has been life changing for me, helps me maintain my essential schedules, and helps me maintain a positive state of wellbeing, by simply getting the right amount of sleep.

The difference between what I take and what others are taking though startles me. I'm shocked people have been taking this daily.

I take 3.75mg tablets, maximum 2-3 packets of 28/year. To deviate much further away from this is going to absolutely cause problems. Even taking this for more than 2 nights in a row can make sleeping harder the third night. The bonus is you won't get such a tolerance this way.

I'm sorry that it seems doctors aren't giving logical advice on these things, and that's why I always take less than advised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.