Zopiclone--How do I get off?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Zop for about a year and started with 3.75 x 1 per nite, then my insomia got really bad then my GP told me to take 3-4 x 7.5mg which I wrongly did.  Now, my new psychiatrist has lowered my intake to 2x7.5mg per nite for the past 10 days and been not stay stable at all.  At the same time, he raised my Remeron to 60mg nitely try to bring down the Zopiclone.  I am trying now staying with this course for the 5 days till I meet him again.  Do you think I should try 1.5 x 7.5 mg nitely along with 60 mg Remeron?  Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, I'm not ffamiliar with Remeron. I think you need to follow the medical advice.
  • Posted

Inreasing  xops from 1x3.75mg to 4x7.5mg is crazy. You will become addicted to them and finf it real hard to get off.

Remeron (medical name mirtazapine) is an antidepresant and is as nasty as zopiclone, You don't mention why you started taking them . Taking both seems weird.

You may want to try and cut off the zopiclone if you can, then reduce the mirtazapine, or the othe way round. Either way I think you need advice from a qualifiied doctor, I'm not sure your present one knows what he's doing.

• Posted

Thanks Keith.  I had started depression last year once I learned my wife had got cancer and she is now cured and good.  However, my depression went deeper as things started piling up.  I did not noticed till Sept 2014, then my previous GP keep on giving me pills and pills (Alprozalam, Diazepam, Zops and 6 more different ones), I had no clue what they do so I did start taking them till I found my new GP.  He started with Remeron and he was hoping that I could get that and start taking down Zop. I had cut down Zop from 4x7.5mg to 2x7.5mg in a month and trying to stablize at this range along with 60mg Remeron before moving down again.
  • Posted

Hi David, goodness, you've been through a huge emotional upheaval. FFantastic that your wife is in remission. So I'm guessing that you now feel ready to deal with your (completely understandable) depression. Your old GP appears to have been treating your symptoms rather than the root cause which was probably fear that you could lose your wife. I too, take mirtazipine (thank you Keith, I didn't know it was called Remeron) for depression, 30mgs per night. NB I thought the max dose was 45mgs. Were you offered counselling? I'm not a doctor but you seem to have been prescribed a cocktail of drugs, my heart goes out to you. Lots of people recommend the Ashton programme and it would ccertainly be worth discussing this with your doctor and psychiatrist, methinks. I wish you every success.

Keith, is this truly as awful as zopiclone? If so, I will be approaching my doc, I'm terrified of another drug addiction

• Posted

Thank you Sheila.  I was accidentally got hooked onto Zop which I did not know its addictive and I thought it was just not sleeping well which I had that from time to time for years.  But each time not serious at all.  This time was different and I did not aware of it and now my psychiatrist and my new GP both trying to get me off hook from Zopiclone.  It was quite a step from 4 to 2x7.5mg.  2 Weeks ago, my psychiatrist upped my Remeron to 60mg and trying to get me off hook from Zop a.s.a.p. but my body not accepting it.  Anyway, I am going to see him tomorrow but been stablized for 2 days so I probably tell him not change anything for a couple of week.  My body is really sensitive to medication changes.  I am also taking Chinese medications for healing as well.
  • Posted

David, I think it's fantastic that you have already decreased your zop intake by 50%. That's a great achievement and you should feel really good about yourself. You are admitting you have a problem with these insidious little pills, just like me! We are not flawed people, these dugs are so very addictive. I hope you get the inspiration you need from this forum, undoubtedly you will get loads of support. Please ask your doctor about the Ashton programme, lots of people have commented on how good it is. Personally, I had to go cold turkey as I have tried and failed to taper off this poison. However, I think tapering off is a great idea as you will avoid the withdrawal symptomsI mentioned in earlier posts. I would have cheated, i had to put my pills on the fire. You have been through a terribly difficult time, please be good to yourself. Good luck tomorrow with your doc and let us know how you are doing.
    • Posted

Thanks Sheila for your support.  I thought the depression would never happened to me but I was dead wrong.  Being a only child in the family and raised by a very traditional oriental family.....a load of responsibility and also have to obey just like a puppy for years.  Finally, realized that my life is empty without my wife and kid.  Oh, it was hard....really hard.  Almost gave up in October last year when everything turned grey till met with my new GP and friends supports.  Will let you know how it goes.  U take care yourself.
  • Posted

i have been off them for a week what helped me is dysapam my fear was being not able to sleep i took half of 2 mil half an hour before i got in bed then the other half when i got in bed it worked for me but allw3ays check with ya doctor i wake up feeling that i had no sleep but that will wear off i hope
  • Posted

I have just started zopiclone trying not to take it. But most nights i lay awake looking at the ceiling. Tried one to start with. Then a half. One took alot out of me. Third day now without but just took a half to see what happens. Fingers crossed. If this is what I have to do to sleep. I'm doing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.