Zopiclone or Amitriptyline?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Ugh I'm so confused and don't know what to do, I'm partly confused due to the fact that I have to do all this research for self help because my doctors are no help whatsoever.

But the thing I'm wondering is, what would be better to take to help me sleep. Zopiclone or Amitriptyline? I am on 100mg of Sertraline and obviously one of the side affects is insomnia which I've been suffering with for over two years, I have broken sleep when I do eventually sleep and can't sleep more than two hours straight, I'm just always waking up every hour.

I'm tired and just want some god damn sleep, and to be able to sleep like a normal person. Zopiclone was given to me as a one off by my doctor, she gave me 7 tablets and said she'd never give me them again after that and it was just to help me get back to sleeping properly.

But I've done exactly what she told me to do previously as she gave me instructions to follow regarding a sleeping schedule; unfortunately the insomnia has not been cured and I'm still exactly the same.

I've heard some people on Sertraline are also on amitriptyline as amitriptyline can be given as a sleeping aid at a low dose; which I'm thinking of trying but I just don't want it to do any harm to me or make me worse with mixing the two. (It'd be great if it could also help my anxiety at the same time haha)

Or should I take zopiclone, I know that zopiclone isn't a long term fix and I know all about how it's addictive- I've suffered with addiction before and I can control it now so I wouldn't allow myself to become addicted to zoplicone (I know people will probably say it can't be helped) but with my willpower I think I'd be able to manage it.

Can someone give me advice please on what I should do or take?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I havnt read the other posts from everyone else , but in my opinion and experience 10 to 20 mg of amitriptyline worked for me although they were in conjunction with 5mg of nitrazepam .

I stopped the nitrazepam in January and I still use the amo's . But tablets aren't the answer but hey hi they work

• Posted

Hello again. I'm wondering if you have ever have been tested for sleep apnea??? Even if you don't snore you may have it. This was the cause of my sleeplessness for forty years. I've been using a CPAP machine for 8 years. No fun but hey I sleep very well most nights. Sometimes I'll take a Zopiclone. I never had a problem being addicted to them or had a hard time decreasing my dose. Please think about the testing. All you do is a sleepover with electrodes carrying your every move to a computer. They discovered I had restless leg syndrome too, which interrupted my sleep, so am on Pramipexole for that. I didn't even know I had it or that the creepy feeling in my knees was treatable!! Too bad I couldn't have found out about all this until i was around 50!

Wishing you luck as I know Dr.'s are totally useless most times.

• Posted

Hi to everyone, I used to work night duty for 20 years, when I stopped I suddenly found I couldn't sleep, couldn't get to sleep, and couldn't stay asleep. I went to my doctor who was no help at all, told me to work through it. I decided to do research and found I could buy sleeping pills online, so I ordered zopiclone, and they were fantastic, one 7.5mg and I was asleep in 10 mins, and asleep all night (great) after a year, they were not working, so i upped it by half a tablet, before knew it I was taking 3 to go to bed, and only sleeping 4 hrs on a good night, I also started needing them during the day, because by 24 hrs I was in withdrawal and needing 1 and half tablets to get me through the day. So I stopped taking them, thinking I could drop them out of my life, as they were making me I'll, and not working. So the first night I didn't take any, I was in Accident and emergency, I'd had a tonic clinic seizure, stopped breathing, my partner had to restart my heart on my living room floor. The hospital put me back on them, and I gradually reduced it down to 2 a night, I tried diazepam, limovan, tramadol, any to replace it, but nothing works, I have a dreadful memory now, constant headache, and still on zopiclone, I am thinking of taking amitriptyline 25mg, along side 1 zopiclone, I'm hoping to gradually stop taking zopiclone, horrid drug, if anyone has tried coming off and can advise? Doctor's are useless.

• Posted

i have been taking zopiclone for twenty five years now, 7.5 mg per night. always on prescription. i am still getting them at oresent, but dont know for how much longer.

although they put me to sleep, they are very short acting, so they are only in your system for around five hours, so im only getting about that amount of sleep, which is frustrating. my brain tells me to wake around the same time every morning.

about 5.30am and i cannot ever get back to sleep. they are good for getting to sleep, but for how long, depends on your brain.

yes, i am addicted and have been to many other sleeping tablets, but i am 74 years old and dont think it matters too much now,

DOCTORS very reluctant to prescribe to younger people because of addiction and because of abuse, they are now a controlled drug, which of course, makes it more difficult to obtain.

i have tried coming of them once when GP decided to stop, but had horrendous time so went back on them.

if anyone can recommend a tablet that puts and keeps you asleep, please let me know.

• Posted

I'd also like to know a pill that puts you to sleep as I've tried Zopiclone, Zolpidem, Valium, Temazepam and Amitriptyline and they unfortunately do not work for me.

• Posted

i would love to know of a drug that would put me to sleep perminantly as my husband died two months ago of a brain tumour his dying was cruel and horendous

• Posted

zopiclone are short acting so you be lucky if you get five hours sleep.

i, personally, would prefer a tablet that gets you to sleep and lets you stay asleep. IS THERE such a thing? i dont understand why zopiclone are made by pharmaceuticals to only last a short time.

The most effective sleeping tablets, in my experience were temazepam, Mogadon, but of course, no longer prescribed.

• Edited

i started to have lack pain 15 years ago because of working as carer. started with co dadamol 8/500 ....didn't work...zapain 30/500..work just about...suffering from insomnia, dr refusing to prescribe anything for sleep. so i started looking online. after few unlucky purchases ,scams i found legit site...i was on 14 to 16 zapains per day. my life was colourless....covid came....depression....after while i found a job, working from home....the job took away need for zapain...instead of taking 4 zapains few times a day i only take one lot....and it make me sleep...4 zapains, 3 zopiclones 10mg each, one zolpidem 10mg, 4 diazepams 10mg eacjmh....hour later I sleep like a baby ...i know its too much but this combination is the only one working. yeah..i am addict at night...but i dont care , i sleep that is the most important thing for me.

• Posted

no zop ...it stops working. amitryp doc says you dont get tolerance. 2 half years of zop and other meds zop was hard to get off had to taper.

• Posted

my husband died two months ago and my GP prescribed zopiclone and diazapanwhen he first died but refuses to prescribe either again i already take amytriptilyn can you give me a website address where i can get valium and zopiclone my husband died of a brain tumour(frontal lobe) I ould not wish what he went through and how it affected me on my worst enemy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.