Zopiclone problems and diazepam tapering to get off it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a good relationship with zopiclone for about 13 years but recently it's all gone wrong and now I want to stop using it. Most of those 13 years I mostly fell asleep ok when I went to bed at night (often with some alcohol to help), but I always wake up in the night, usually after 3 or so hours (to pee or whatever) and it's always been then that I use zopiclone to help me get back to sleep. Usually 3.5g or even less was enough. But in recent months I've been under more stress than usual and so I also started using a little zopiclone at bedtime. Quickly this became essential for getting to sleep. But I still woke up as usual in the night, and also needed my regular middle of the night dose. BUT, what I then found was that I had to increase the second dose, otherwise it didn't get me back to sleep. In the space of about 2 months this has escalated to the point where now I don't go sleep at all unless I take 7.5g at bedtime, and another 7.5 or more later in the night. BUT worse than that, this is often not working any more, so now I find many nights, despite taking this much higher amount, I am only getting 2 or 3 hours sleep, and never more than 5 hours. This is making me a nervous wreck in the daytime and making me feel depressed. Last night I tried diazepam as a possible alternative, after reading that it's easier to taper off. I took 5g but didn't get anywhere near falling asleep, so ended up taking two 7.5g zopiclones but didn't get much sleep from them. Feeling pretty lousy today and don't know how to proceed. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Me again. Here's some feedback on my second night of trying to use diazepam to get off zopiclone. As mentioned, my first night was a complete failure as I took zopiclone after not falling asleep with the diazepam. Last night I doubled the diazepam to 10mg, and was determined not to resort to zopiclone whatever happened. Well, it wasn't a great night but at least I didn't take any zopiclone. I think I may have slept for an hour, between about 3 and 4am. But was awake the rest of the night. Glad I didn't take any zopiclone, but I don't know how much longer I can last unless I start sleeping. I know I'll feel dreadful later today, and just going about daily tasks will be a drag. Wish me luck. Just a reminder that the reason I'm trying to get off zopiclone is that after many years of finding it a great help, recently I started taking more but getting less sleep and feeling the negative side effects of the drug much more than when I only used to use a little. Time to change something. But if I don't start sleeping soon I may try a different sleeping pill, maybe ambien. But I'd rather get off sleeping pills altogether if possible. I know it won't be easy.

• Edited

Feedback. A week has passed now since I last took zopiclone. I'm still not sleeping brilliantly, but I feel much better. After two nights of very little sleep on the third night I slept for about 4 hours and then took 10mg of diazepam, which helped me get back to sleep for another couple of hours. Since then I've got to sleep every night so far, admittedly with a little alcohol to help. And I've reduced my middle of the night diazepam dose to 5mg, which I'll continue tapering. Quite happy with my progress to date, and fingers crossed it continues.

• Posted

Further feedback from me. Two weeks have now passed since I took zopiclone, and the last two nights I also didn't take any diazepam. Unfortunately though I am sleeping badly and consequently feel pretty bad. The old problem hasn't gone away. Although I usually fall asleep ok I always wake after 2 or 3 hours, often because I need to pee. Usually I can return to sleep again, but always wake again around 4 or 5, and that's usually the end of sleep. So, maybe 4 or max 5 hours in two stints. It's not enough, and leaves me feeling miserable the next day. Not sure how this will play out. I may feel the need to go back to sleeping pills soon if my sleep doesn't improve. But if I do, I will try something else, maybe Ambien.

• Posted

Me again. Disappointed that I'm not getting much response or suggestions here. I guess the site must get less traffic than it used to. I feel like I'm talking to myself. Anyway, another update. About 18 days now since I took zopiclone. But I'm struggling with sleeping. Last night I got very little, just nodding off for short periods a few times. I guess I'm realising that I also have an alcohol problem, and that if I don't go to bed at least slightly under the influence of alcohol that I probably won't fall asleep. Since giving up zopiclone I have mostly been going to bed at least a little tiddly, and this has helped me get off to sleep though admittedly it doesn't keep me asleep all night, partly as it means I have to go pee at least a couple of times. Last night I tried going to bed without alcohol in my system, and hardly slept. This is one heck of a problem. I don't want to go back to sleeping pills, but if I stop drinking completely it seems I won't sleep at all hardly. Presumably if I go teetotal my natural sleeping ability will come back eventually, but how long will that take? I have to be able to function, drive a car, work, interact with people etc. These things are difficult or impossible without sleep.

• Posted

hi how long were you taking zop for ,I have decided to stop taking zop cold turkey but its very hard ,because I never took more than prescibed dose Ithought it would be easier to stop ,but feel really spaced out and irritable ,I have tried to explain how Ifeel to other people but they dont get it that one small pill can ruin your life I am going to keep going to see if gets any better.This is the main problem how long does this last ,how long can your body go without sleep.

• Posted

Hi Hamish. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks of cold turkey I started using zopiclone again and three months later I'm back to the same problems as in my first post above. I'm considering cold turkey again, but I know it's so difficult and there's no easy solution.

• Posted

they will stop working. zop taper off slowly ..its caused me hell and as for benz ...please dont. I've off zop and mirtaz and stil a benz at night all for sleep. I'm in agony esting agony cant poop gastritis still hut now stomach inflamed. they and the benz which isnt working for sleep have caused my whole digestive track to nearly stop working. the pain eating is undescribable.

• Posted

Sorry to hear and hope you improve. What benzos are you taking and for how long?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.