Zopiclone prolonged withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone else suffered prolonged withdrawal symptoms from coming off z drugs or benzos? Was forced to just stop zopiclone end January by new GP after using them on and off for 12 years. Still suffering anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Now trying sertraline in desperation. Tried therapy, cbt, self help books, various supplements, mindfulness nithing helps. Have been advised by a benzo help line here that most people don'T recover until the 2nd year at least. Undoubtly being made go cold turkey mad things lot worse as never had any symptoms before stopping.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have just passed my 2 years post benzo.

I was taking clonezepam, and also trazodone.

I took about 9 months to wean off.

It truly has been the hardest thing I have ever done. But it is so doable. Most important to remember the only things that help is time a patience.

I am still going through some issues. The hard thing is that I can not really know what is still withdrawals, and what isn't.

Waves and windows still going on

• Posted

Are you working with a doctor on this? Asking because so many go it alone.

• Posted

Can you remember roughly when things started to improve. My symptoms obviously wacked up as was forced to stop them abruptly. Does seem it takes people up to 2 years to fully recover. Haven't had any windows so far and been 11 months since I stopped!

• Posted

It's such a gradual thing.

Some symptoms stay the duration. Some start for awhile and then stop. Usually replaced by something else.

I had a huge list.

I documented everything.

I absolutely agree with the 2 year thing. As mentioned I passed 2 years dec 9.

Thought it would have been done by now

There is a wonderful site with a podcast that comes out weekly to my email.

Ita call benzofree.org

So worth signing up and going back to when the podcast was started and listening from the beginning.

The guy that puts these out is in protracted withdrawal

• Posted

I have something a bit like harm OCD was a very gradual thing initially got anxious driving now just being around people in the street very stressful. It has very slowly got worse so guess it will be very gradual thing to improve. It is encouraging you did come out the other side people still having symptoms at a year plus does seem common. These meds do seem to almost temporarily damage your brain unfortunatly talking therapy or mindfulness doesn't seem to help as it's not a behavioural thing with me more like chemical damage. Gives me hope you came out the other end!

• Posted

Hello Sears.

I've been on Citalopram 30mg for 10 years plus and I can only speak favourably of this anti depressant. Personally for me, it calms the waters on top which allows me to be somewhat better equipped to deal with the underlying choppy currents. I'll never beat myself up for being on this medication for the amount of time I have. It works for me & I firmly believe that, If it aint broken, why fix it. I've also been on 15mg Zopiclone for 15 yrs. Doctors seem to have a really hard time believing me that over this 15 period, the dosage has never been increased but, it's the whole truth and nothing more. I had to change Drs when I moved & the new Dr was hell bent on weaning me off the Zoplicone. My dosage has been reduced by a whopping 70 % & dealing with this reduction is like a box of mad frogs. If there's anything I can help you with regarding the Citalopram please do let me know. Take care.

• Posted

you are lucky to still be able to get zopiclone, i was just refused them when my doctor retired. They seem to have no idea how awful withdrawal can be. Just hoping sertraline helps. I had actually reduced zopiclone to about 2mg but they were adamant couldn't have any more.Good luck with your reduced dose of zopiclone hope things soon improve.

• Posted

Strength and blessing for you. I feel sure the Setraline will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.