zopiclone to diazipan

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi what are peoples experiences of tapering off zopiclone to diazipan, any good experiences? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I used diazepam to taper off zopiclone they help take the withdrawals of zopiclone away, which can be quite severe then used mirtazipine to taper of diazepam no I don't take any tabs. Good luck
    • Posted

hi paul do u take anything now to sleep love to know how you got on with tapering off all these drugs .. x
  • Posted

I've been on this programme for four weeks now, switching over from 11mg Zopiclone to 9 mg Diazepam. I did it straight off and only had one difficult first night, then I've slept ok most nights since then. A bit more groggy in the day time and lots more dreams but not like the daily hangover I had with Zop. I'm tapering one mg of Diazepam a week now, so will see how that goes. Also taking two pills of 5 HTP a night at bed time, a supplement which is supposed to help. Thinking of it as a long term process, but am managing without Zop and not tempted to take any so far. 
    • Posted

thanks jay great to hear possitive things . ive ordered some 5 HTP  do they help you sleep? thanks for replying x let me know how u get on coming off diazepam love to know as i will have to drop the dose soon xx
    • Posted

Think the 5HTP are helping. And I take the Diazepam about an hour before bed. One night I took less Diaz by mistake and still got some sleep. Tempted to come off them faster but I want it to work. I'll keep posting as I reduce. I'm just pretty amazed so far after 14 years of Zopiclone. Good luck!. 
    • Posted

hi jay ur doing great . i took 4mg diazepam not what the doctor told me he told me to take 8mg sod that lol please keep me informed ur experiences are helping me thank again . julie x
  • Posted

I tapered off zopiclone using zolpidem which i was already using in combination with zopiclone for a year and a half.  When i decided to taper off zopiclone, i was scared,  but i told myself if i had difficulty sleeping, i could just increase my zolpidem to an amount that would get me to sleep, and once i adjusted to the lower amount of zopiclone, i would lower the zolpidem back down to where it was before. This worked quite well. After the first two tapers, i lost my fear and the last two tapers (of 4 quater tablets) went fast and easy, without increasing zolpidem. My problem then was how to get off zolpidem which i'd been on for 20 years and i was up to almost 3X the prescribed dose.  So i went to an addiction medicine doctor and he recommended switching from zolpidem to diazapam, the equivalent dose was 10mg diapam to the almost 30mg zolpidem i was taking. He said to just stop the zolpidem and start the diazapam, no tapering, just switch them. That was kind of breath taking but it totally worked. The diazapam 10mg was stronger than the almost 30mg zopiclone. It kept me asleep all night instead of waking up in 3 or 4 hours like on the zolpidem.  The problem was, i was terribly hung over all day, it ruined my days, i was so tired and lethargic, i really wanted to quickly taper off the diazapam. My doctor said 1mg per week.  I got down to 8mg, less hung over but still a little. But better. Then, because of a health problem i have that came up at that time involving extreme hypoglycemia with neurologic symptoms like waking up on the floor and not knowing how i got there and unable to get up for a while, my doctor agreed that i would just stay on the 8mg until the hypoglycemia is cured by removing a tumor that is causing it. Which i am working on.  However, i have continued to feel hung over. I thought it was the hypoglycemia causing it, but after thinking it through, i know that before i started taking the diazapam, i did not feel that way, i had energy, i felt good, i could think, i could get things done, and i came to realize it was the diazapam causing me to feel so tired and crappy all day every day. So,, Saturday night, when i was going to take the diazapam at bedtime, i felt ike i was just going to ruin my next day, i hated taking it. Also, i had developed a tolerance for it so that it wasn't getting me to sleep anymore, so i was getting the worst of both worlds, side effects from diazapam and no therapeutic effect. I was taking the zolpidem to get to sleep again. But i wasn't stopping the diazapam because my doctor was so against "cold turkey."  But Saturday night, i cut another mg, to 7mg. i could not sleep, even with the zolpidem. i took a lot of zolpidem, about three times and still no sleep. Finally around 4am i took 10mg zolpidem and fell asleep and got about 3 hours of sleep. i woke up happy i had finally slept.  But what i wasn't expecting was how good i was going to feel. I felt so good on Sunday, i coudln't believe it. For the first time in a long time, i had energy and motivation to do things, things that had piled up because of procrastination, i just did one after another, i had plenty of energy, even though i could feel a feeling in my eyes that i get when i don't get much sleep.  it was the best day i had had in a long time. So, in the next few days, i will cut another 1mg from the diazapam and i will take an ample dose of zolpidem, and i will wait, i won't keep taking more if i don't fall asleep. but i will take another 10mg at 4am like before, and hopefully will get some sleep. i will just be happy to know i am reducing the diazapam because at this point, i really hate that stuff.  The whole point of taking sleeping pills for me is to not feel tired in the day time but diazapam has always made me feel tired in the day time, so i just want to get completely off it, ASAP. 

However there are many many people who can successfullly use it to get off of the Z drugs like zopiclone and zolpidem and again. i stopped a 20 year habit of zolpidem, 27mg a night without tapering at all, just switching it for 10mg diazapam. It didn't sound right to me to do that, but i trusted the doctor because that's his speciality and he works with a lot of people so if he believed that was the way to do it, i went with it and he was right. The diazapam more than took the place of the zolpidem. 

In my case i got a tolerance to the diazapam, that was part of the problem.  i do'nt know that most people get that, probably it continues to work for them but for me, it lost its effect pretty soon, and that might be because i took diazapam for 20 years between the mid 1970s and the mid 1990s, and toward the end got addicted with tolerance so it wasn't working anymore, and went cold turkey quite successfully. So maybe that's why i got tolerance for it so fast this time.  Tolerance means it's not working, so i just want to get off it, i can't wait. I will have to figure out another way to get off the zolpidem...

• Posted

hi jaws wow u have been through it with these pills. last night i didnt take any zopiclone havent for 4 nights now. i took 4mg diazipam not what the doctor told me to take he asked me to take 8mg as i was on 7.5 zopiclone every night for 10 years! i slept ok :-) like you i dont want to be come addicted to diazipam! so will take less and less hopefuly. i try not to worry about not sleeping as much as i can and that seems to help hopefully i will beat this and sleep normaly .. thank you for your reply x
    • Posted

Julie, you ARE making it!   good job.  progress!   i think that when your doctor said to take 8mg diazapam to substitute for 7.5 zop, he was prescribing quite a bit more than enough, baased on what the equivalent dose is supposed to be.  10mg diazapam is equivalent to 15mg zopiclone, so the amount you are taking, the 4mg diazapam, is probably the right amount roughly. I am happy for you, i know how good progress feels, it's liike making your way toward freedom, freedom from the harmful effects of the sleep meds. Your brain can adapt over time to life without the meds.  You are doing great!!  stay strong smile

• Posted

thank you jaws thats the encourgment i need, it doesnt knock me out like zopiclone i take 4mg about an hour before bed and think why arnt i asleep then put some lavender on my pillow and drop off :-) its still strange falling asleep with out zopiclone kinder feels like hay how did that happen :-) going to take me some time to get use to the fact im not taking that drug.. couple more days im taking one diazapam and see how i go x i try not to think about not sleeping that makes its worse for anyone if they worry about not sleeping if i worried about not sleeping when on zopiclone i wouldnt..strange isnt it ,,thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.