Zopiclone withdrawal/5 HTP ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Came off zopiclone 4 weeks ago after 11years, awful withdrawal symptoms, bad anxiety and now rebound insomnia kicked in. Gp was no help as I was only taking 1/4 tablet got told wouldn't have any problems just wanted to stick me on anti-depressants! Weaned off very slowly but still feel like rubbish. Been taking herbal stuff not much help, wondering if anyone taken 5 HTP seems have few side effects and seem effective. If anyone managed to stop it how long do the withdrawal symptoms last, just feel like I'm existing at the moment came very close to taking zop last night. They really are lethal cause most horrendous symptoms when you come off them! Friend coming off anti-depressants experiencing the same so I'm not going down that route.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lemar,

Sorry to hear this.

Z is such a harmful drug and sooo addictive.....You're withdrawal symtoms will be extreme as you've been taking them for 11 years. I would suggest taking an antidepressant as that it far better than taking Z. I liken Z to hardcore drugs-it changed me as a person, I dropped so much weight and I was having suicidal thoughts. I now take a very low dose of Sertraline and it has done wonders! I feel like myself again and will never touch Z. Don't take it ever again but you must replace it with something else (anything else is better)!

• Posted

Hi Caz, glad the anti-depressants help you, but I don't want to replace 1 chemical for another just my choice, my friend having terrible trouble withdrawing from citalopram so think I could have same problemif I switched in the future. I'll try the 5HTP as gets good reviews. Agree with you Zopiclone very hardcore apparently harde to come off than heroin and gp's have no idea how to help people come off it. I've had the odd packet Diazapam in past much better than Z "s took it occasionally and never had problem stopping it.

• Posted

Hi Lemar,

Hmm i heard Zopiclone was easier to stop than any other Benzo. I guess its just about the individuals chemical make up. I am currently reducing my dose of Zopiclone from 15mg to 7.5mg pn. The doctor has given me 15mg of Mirtzepine and i must say it has very little side effect for me atm. Been on the Mirtz for nearly 2 weeks and it has stabilized my mood. I was on citalopram for 3 months maybe 9 years ago and i have to say i was just a bloody horrible, so i stopped them and i suffered with head zaps for about 9 months after. Its 'horses for courses' i guess. Good luck anyway.

• Posted

It's an absolute nightmare to come off as I say been reported as worse than heroin. Everywhere recommends you switch to diazapam as much easier to come off but gp wouldn't give me any. Funnily enough the gp tried to get me to go on citalopram. Good luck with coming off it the main thing is to do it very slowly. As you are taking something else at same time hopefully won't be so bad. Do think they should warn people as it's widely reported now that it's very hard to stop, I had awful craving the first week it's an awful drug!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.