zopiclone withdrawals and WTF? help !

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all, so a tiny bit background. I'm 33 years old, male. In my 20's i had a really bad problem with anxiety and drinking (to stop the anxiety)

Anyway FFW 10 or so years im living an almost perfect life, amazing wife, NO anxiety, living in Melbourne, Australia but my workload is getting a bit stressful (but stress I didn't mind THAT much) I see my GP, who is English, and tell him I'm not sleeping well and he prescribes me Zopiclone. Says it isn't addictive and he has it himself sometimes. I tried it- WOW amazing I thought. I got 8 hours no questions asked and didn't even feel bad the next day.

BUT

FFW again 3 months, my wifes job took us to Germany (no problem I LOVE Germany) but maybe I was feeling I didn't belong, a bit alone. But that was no problem cos my anxiety was completely under control anyway so who cares, right?

Uh-oh. Just last week my wife went on a work trip and I didn't know if it was  seperation anxiety or what but I felt so anxious. I started drinking a lot but that (it really doesn't at all) help. I basically lost a week, it was like a zopiclone blackout (in retrospect) Anyway, I was due to pick her up yesterday, which I did, but I thought I'd stop taking Zopiclone because I'd had a few rough days and it didn't seem to help. 

WOW

What followed? (and still is!) the most incredible withdrawal symptoms i've ever experienced, like they are in tune with you. I am sweating like crazy (like buckets every second) and my anxiety is through the roof. I've been like this for four days now and my wife is back and I feel like she's come back to some kind of weirdo.

I read up on so much stuff online (it was like the only thing i could do, dont know if it makes you feel better or worse...) but i found this huge forum of people all going through my crap, all because of Zopiclone! Why did I not know this? Are British GP's on some kind of wage-hike to give this out? It's awful!

Any suggestions? BTW I have been drinking LOADS to help the Zopiclone anxiety subside and let me tell you now it isn't the answer, it does not help one bit, as soon as I lay down I get the sweats!

Does this sound familar to anyone?

Lee

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good luck ...I have stopped diazepam a week ago and now it's time to come off zopiclone ....I don't know how I will manage it ....

• Posted

So how long have you taken Zopiclone Lee? I've taken it every night for 10 years

• Posted

I think I've been on it for around 7 years .....stopping diazepam is hard enough ...not sure about this .....I'm going to try get some help at local drug addiction centre

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.