Zopiclone Withdrwals

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started taking Zopiclone 7 months ago and stopped completely last week. I do not suffer from anxiety or depression but have bouts of insomnia every once in a while. Zopi is one of pills that available without prescription here. I started taking it because i was a little bummed since I had lost my job, i didn't realise it was so addictive. Stopped because my body became tolerant to it and I was taking as many as 5X7.5 mg almost every night and I was still tired the next day.

The first two days and nights after I went cold turkey were a nightmare. Terrible headaches, sweating profusely, strange nightmares. It's been 4 nights now but getting better. I still sweat a lot, have a slight headache, feel a little zonked out though because of not enough sleep, nightmares are not that bad. Anyone else in the same boat as me? I want to start feeling sane again, this is affecting my work. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Its usually better to reduce the dosage gradually over several weeks to lessen the symptoms of withdrawal.

Best wishes

• Posted

I tried that multiple times but I couldn't do it. 

• Posted

Google the  Ashton Plan. It’s a diazepam reduction plan, but should be done with your doctor.

here in the UK, zopiclone have been classified c drug because of abuse.

they are only available on prescription.

The above method has been tried and tested by many. Very difficult to comemof them alone.

• Posted

Well I think the worst is over so well done. I also tried tapering it off but that just fed the addiction. Keep going as you are but perhaps try a tranquilliser as follows. 3 for week then 2 for a week and finally 1 for a week to help with the withdrawals and relax you. That's just what I was instructed to do from my psychiatrist

• Posted

Hi Claire Sorry to interject but interested in your comment that tapering feeds the addiction. I think  know what you mean but could you expand a little on this. I agree with you btw.

• Posted

I am trying to go the herbal way, I take valerian tabs to help sleep, it doesn't help with the sleep much or maybe I am too immune to it.I have been feeling better everyday, It does get a bit tough to get good sleep but i am happy that I finally kicked the habit off. Zopi was making me depressed and anxious my day would get unbearble, i would wait for it to end. I hadn't realised how much this was affecting me. I blamed it on everything else except accepting the fact that it could be because of zopiclone.

• Posted

Hiya

I mean I tried tapering and I can do it for a while but then as usually you have one of 'those' days and I would think... I just need one more. And there I would go all over again and after a few months start over. I have a long history with this horrible drug. I hate it. In fact at the moment I was running low and prescriptions at checkout pharmacy are finished for a month so I started tapering again and got down to one. Then low and behold I decided to check at one of the pharmacies and they had a last repeat which is now in my bag... Here I go all over again.

Okay, what actually works for me is reaching out and being honest with someone you trust. Give them your meds and ask them to give it to you slowly taking you down, kinda like an accountability partner... I would also recommend some valium or the like and when the withdrawals hit you work you Valium as follows. Three for a week. Two for a week and then one for a week and done. And the. No matter how you feel start exercising. Even a walk around the block everyday. I really got to do this! I have too or this stuff will kill me so I PRAY this is my last 2 boxes and I have some valium specifically for this reason I really want to kick this habit but being addicted. I can't do it alone.

• Posted

It's like if I have them and taper off I just end up using them all before end date anyway kinda thing. Wrote a long shlurb below or above lol

• Posted

Hi lafa

When I came off Zopiclone I experienced all the withdrawal symptoms you mentioned, blurred vision, my head was like a PlayStation , terrible headaches and feeling very uncomfortable around people and I'm an outgoing person. I was trapped in my mind.

But , you're right , it does slowly go. I was taking a similar dose as yourself and didn't detox properly, so for anyone reading this , please detox properly....

• Posted

Yes detox properly with the short term assistant at the mildest benzo.

I have come off many times and I can assure you it really does get better. Just don't go back ever. I was gyming like a beast when I was off. I loved life had energy and felt so good on myself. Then I started the rubbish again a d here I sit a morbid depressed person again with memory loss.

Carry on don't give up and don't give up.

I also read that Zopi is a fairly new drug. And it had already started being banned in a few countries!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.