Zopliicone doesnt work.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a recent injury and hospitalisation I was prescribed Zoplicone 3.75mg (I'm 73 y.o.)during my recovery in hospital. The first night I received this dose I slept like a baby (after three sleepless nights in pain). However on subsequent nights it had no effect and I returned to the broken sleep pattern I have endured for years (2 hours sleep 2 hours awake 2 hours sleep)

What should I do? Sleep is so beneficial to recovery from serious illness, I have 6 days supply left. HELP!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Anthony

I would say, perhaps 6 days does not harm while you are in recovery, , but please,,,, as you are asking advice, this is my opinion,,,for your own sake, consider stopping there, as in the long run they are not the solution, as learned by so many of us. Wishing you speedy healing and recovery.

• Posted

Thanks ex, 

I do heed all the advice about addiction to medications in this forum,and believe I am old enough and wise enough to fal into the trap.

I'm tempted to take the normal 7.5 mg dose just the once to see if it works.

If it does I'd settle for that maybe once or twice a week.

• Posted

Hi.  You would probably sleep better if you took a 7.5mg tab at night, but they are very addictive unless you are strong willed.  Have a chat with your doctor, he may prescribe the higher dose for a short time while you recover.  Doctors nowadays are very reluctant to give these tablets out on a long term basis anyway. Good luck. 
    • Posted

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I am afraid Sleeping tablets are like 'Horses for courses'. For instance i was prescribed Diazepam for insomnia and did absolutely nothing for me. However i tried Zopiclone and it worked a treat. If you speak to your doctor he/she may prescribe another type of sleeping tab. But Vivien is correct about addiction but in my experience sleep is very important  and Zopiclone seems a small price to pay for me. Also increasing the dose does not always work and can be the opposite effect with Zopiclone. Hope you recover well.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Anthony sorry to hear about your injury and you're you need your sleep to get well. I'm on SRT therapy tight now, it's hard but I need to do this. Go check it out on the Internet it's Sleep Restriction Therapy. What you need to do is reset your biological clock, this is my second week and I only have 3 to 4 hours sleep but it's a start. Anthony if the meds don't help what's the point of taking them, they are so addictive and bad for you. I would consider checking out that program, hope this helped, I'm off those and not going back there after 18 years. Good luck and keep in touch.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel, Thanks for the info re SRT.

I'll check it out and give it a try although I have learnt to enjoy my 1 hour afternoon siestas over the years.

I read recently that the two staged sleep pattern I have  has been declared as normal in many adults especiall us old wrinklies.

• Posted

Anthony

You should ask your doctor about mirtazapine, I take 1 30mg at night along with 5mg zopiclone. This works great for me, sleep like a baby every night. I've been doing this for roughly 8 weeks. Good luck finding the right medication!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.