Zostavax shingles vaccine

Posted , 8 users are following.

interestingly enough last week i saw a commercial for a class action lawsuit against the makers of the ORIGINAL shingles vaccine, Zostavax. don't know anything more about it...if it's legit or not but this is what one law firm is saying....

"In an attempt to prevent shingles, some patients may have unintentionally contracted the virus from their shingles vaccination.

The shingles vaccine Zostavax may cause serious injuries, including shingles, blindness, and even death. Injured patients are now filing lawsuits against Zostavax’s manufacturer Merck (and its owner, Bayer) for failing to warn about the potential side effects."

and it says nothing about how effective or ineffective it is/was against preventing the shingles. ?just Google it if interested.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I saw that the other day also.  Just made me go hmm...  I never had Zostavax but got shingles and I was actually starting to wonder what the correlation was (if any) between the chickenpox vaccine, the old shingles vaccine, and what seems to be a rampant increase in shingles outbreaks.  We’ll probably never know...
  • Posted

The first vaccine had problems and was only 40% effective...the new one is said to be safer and 90% effective..it is not a live virus like the first one and should be effective for 10 plus years according to info I have viewed lately 💡hope it is much better🛐

• Posted

Hmmm thanks so much for sharing. This site is so important to keep us all informed. My question, which the doctors have yet to answer is how long after an outbreak can you get the new vaccine?? I have reoccurring shingles and tend to have outbreaks every 3-4 months, longer during spring to summer. I have been told you have to be shingles free for one year before getting the vaccine....anyone have any new information???

I've been feeling really good these past 3 months. Been drinking Chaga tea and using CBD oil. I'm hoping this helps my immune system. I'll keep everyone posted. Gayleen

• Posted

Hi barclay430 this news that you speak of is not welcomed. I just last week had this new “Shingles vaccine”. At the urging of my PCP. 

The site of the injection was sore as all heck the night of. I’ve also been sore on my Rt lower quadrant of my back also. I can’t sleep, thirsty, low appetite, and my head has been hurting off & on too. 

Thanks for telling me about this!

It’s sad that your own doctor will urge you to have a vaccine that will only make what you have worst. 

Their favorite line is “the benefits of having it outweighs the risks of not having it”! 

Again thanx for the heads up!👌🏾

• Posted

The new vaccine is now rated at 97% effective and mush better than the older one🙌

• Posted

Hello Barclay. Thanks for the info. I had not heard anything about a lawsuit against the makers of Zostavax but I haven't watched any tv recently, having had several back to back shingles outbreaks and in middle of one even now. All I can offer is my own personal experience. I did have the Zostavax vaccine t years ago and I would eagerly take it again if this new vaccine Shingrix were not created because the old vaccine did give me at least partial relief for 3 years. Despite the side effects, this made it worth it to me. Just my own personal opinion, having suffered with shingles these past 8 long years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.