Any help diagnosing scrotum rash? Going on 5 months since it appeared, no relief

Posted , 18 users are following.

Beginning in the fall of last year, I noticed some irritation in my right side of scrotum. I would just rub or scratch the area and it would subside. As a big runner I figured it was jock itch, and thus saw a doctor and got a medical grade anti fungal. I treated with this and it stayed at bay, for a while. It was still bothersome from time to time and around July it got very bad. I tried to throw a few things at it, including gold bond with menthol (burnt badly, scared i burned the scrotum from this) and more fungal cream with hydrocortisone.

I went to bed on July 20 with what you see in the first picture. Minor irritation, but no significant reddening. I woke back up the next morning and my scrotum was very red. I went to a dermatologist that week and was given predisone- i followed up and was given an anti fungal pill and cream. That did not work and I followed up and was given a biopsy which came back as spongeotic dermatitis with traces of bacteria- i was then given a anti bacterial cream and pill. About a month after this i followed up and was once again given doxycline and gapabentin for "red scrotum syndrome" as well as elidel cream.

I then received patch testing which came back negative. Following the patch test I was prescribed topicort steroid cream.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is going on. I don't know if this is eczema, psoriasis, if a cream would help, if there is a pill that may help?? Its very itchy and bothersome if wearing any kind of tight clothing. I am on leave from work currently as my anxiety got so bad that i was having trouble keeping up with my responsibilities.

Are there any suggestions or ideas to what this may or may not be?

When it is irritated badly it will get spot patches all the way up my penis. THe scrotum becomes almost brownish red, and the itch is unbearable even with antihistamines.

It is always red, but just varies in terms of severity. imageimage

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

more pictures from various times over the past few monthsimageimageimageimageimage

• Posted

im dealing with the exact same thing. same time line and mostly same prescriptions

• Posted

have any doctors noted what it may be? How have you been able to cope/deal with it?

Has your rash been there for the entire time? Meaning it hasnt come and gone?

• Posted

has been there pretty much whole time. first doc said jock itch, second just said irritated/itchy scrotum. nothing has really worked. been trying excema relief cream (colloidal oatmeal) for a couple days. gonna see how that works.

• Posted

did you notice if the steroids seemed to make symptoms worse? do you have any pictures from when it first began/ has it seemed to worsen since?

• Posted

i didnt start taking any photos until recently. it didnt seem to improve or worsen with the steroids

• Posted

i sent you a message if you dont mind. thanks

• Posted

bob have you figured it out ? im convinced its a curse from God lol.

• Edited

I think I have something similar. Doc said it was Red Scrotum Syndrome caused as a rare side effect of a topical cream I was using to treat a skin cancer spot on my face. I quit using the cream and it slowly got better. I then had a rash on my stomach and he gave me a different cream. Almost immediately my scrotum started getting red again so I stopped using that cream. That is where I am currently. Hoping the redness and pain goes away since I stopped this other topical cream. Have you had any success or made any progress?

• Posted

I have had this condition for 21 years now and 44 years old now. sucks! My Scrotum is red, the head of my penis, and the crack of my but cheeks

are all red and doesn't itch. it just stings and is worse when it gets moist in the summer. it never goes away and has been hard to live with. I have accepted the fact that I will have it forever. i never have one day of relief. i have seen doctors. and tried many creams and some pills. I even had a patch biopsi taken. I have read some success stories and I hope you and everyone here that has this gets it cured.

• Posted

i would try gold bond powder

does sting a timy bit at first but then soothes and cools. i would certainly try!

• Posted

I think I have the same problem. Have you figured it out by now or am I doomed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.