Any help diagnosing scrotum rash? Going on 5 months since it appeared, no relief

Posted , 18 users are following.

Beginning in the fall of last year, I noticed some irritation in my right side of scrotum. I would just rub or scratch the area and it would subside. As a big runner I figured it was jock itch, and thus saw a doctor and got a medical grade anti fungal. I treated with this and it stayed at bay, for a while. It was still bothersome from time to time and around July it got very bad. I tried to throw a few things at it, including gold bond with menthol (burnt badly, scared i burned the scrotum from this) and more fungal cream with hydrocortisone.

I went to bed on July 20 with what you see in the first picture. Minor irritation, but no significant reddening. I woke back up the next morning and my scrotum was very red. I went to a dermatologist that week and was given predisone- i followed up and was given an anti fungal pill and cream. That did not work and I followed up and was given a biopsy which came back as spongeotic dermatitis with traces of bacteria- i was then given a anti bacterial cream and pill. About a month after this i followed up and was once again given doxycline and gapabentin for "red scrotum syndrome" as well as elidel cream.

I then received patch testing which came back negative. Following the patch test I was prescribed topicort steroid cream.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is going on. I don't know if this is eczema, psoriasis, if a cream would help, if there is a pill that may help?? Its very itchy and bothersome if wearing any kind of tight clothing. I am on leave from work currently as my anxiety got so bad that i was having trouble keeping up with my responsibilities.

Are there any suggestions or ideas to what this may or may not be?

When it is irritated badly it will get spot patches all the way up my penis. THe scrotum becomes almost brownish red, and the itch is unbearable even with antihistamines.

It is always red, but just varies in terms of severity. imageimage

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

if u give u place name i can suggest u and i am patient in india, karnataka ,shimoga if tell place i can suggest u

• Posted

Question:

any solution to your problem? i think i might have the same. i am waiting for biopsy results.

• Posted

i did get back my biopsy results.

hyperkeratonic skin with lichenoide inflammation. low grade dysplasia. no malignacy.

i have to use steroid cream now.

• Posted

Did you ever find a cure or treatment for this? I'm experiencing the same thing myself.

• Posted

Old thread - any update from anyone?

I've been experiencing the same exact thing but does not itch or have any discomfort when touched - if anything it "pulses" /stings randomly but has been persistent for a year now. I have irritated glands with skin color changes, the head looks bruised, & scrotum is brown, red, purple, etc. All tests negative, penile biopsy only returned inflammation, otherwise negative. Thousands in medical bills and no answer other than red scrotum syndrome and possible vitiligo from a dermatologist?

I have zero confidence and don't know what else to do. I'm physically and mentally exhausted and don't even know how to approach a relationship if i dont even know what it is. Any updates are appreciated.

• Posted

Given that the original fungal cream worked briefly, have you considered a dilute iodine solution as a topical application? You will have seen this being used as a prep for surgery. You'll have to look up the dilution you need, though you could simply start with a weak colour and work your way up. It will burn if you don't dilute it.

Do note, however, that fungal creams contain all sorts and may have been doing something else. Carefully researching the ingredients one at a time may yield answers if the above doesn't help.

• Posted

Has anyone found any answers to these issues I have dealing with that same thing for six years now and I just seen a dermatologist today for it and she told me that it's Inflammation and when I asked what was the cause she told me that there is no know cause and to try a steroid cream and come back in two weeks. I also has tried everything from jock itch creams to steroid creams with no resolve but everything that you all have said for symptoms have been spot on with my symptoms thanks for any help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.