Anyone else losing their hair???

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All!

I was looking in the mirror tonight lamenting the growing thin patches of hair long my part and in the front of my scalp near my bangs... and the fact that my eyebrows (once thick, Lebanese-decent, streaks of hair) need the tattooing touched up because it's fading to show I am nearly bald on my face. This has been happening for the last 3 years+. I never credited/blamed peri-menopause because until October 2014, I had been having regular periods and, according to regular doctors, my hormones were in the "normal" range (I have since learned that that can change from hour-to-hour, day-to-day depending on when you test and that most FEMALE doctors or doctors who CARE about menopausal women consider the "normal range" too broad). Anyway, because of this, I hadn't thought this hair loss might be caused by menopause. I day dream of getting a hair transplant. To keep from it being being noticed, I have to use those shake on hair fibers every day.

Did anyone else experience hair loss with peri-menopaus/menopause? If so, does anything help? I started taking a Biotin "hair growth" blend last week and hope it will help... sad

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kim, yes i am losing my hair too, it has always been thick and quite wavy and now it is a lot thinner and very wispy, can't do anything with it, it comes every time i brush and fills the plug hole each time i wash it sad hope i don't go bald!!!!! hope the biotin blend helps, let me know if it does, i will try it myself. Take care x
    • Posted

p.s.  Yeah, I have clogged a lot of drains too!
  • Posted

Hi Kim, well im  not showing any bald patches yet but yes my hair has been falling out for years now, im now 64 and having my last bash at long hair before i look stupid with it, usually i put it up.started menapause at 57, others in the house are all complaining about my long hair everywhere and it is everywhere too. ive too once thought someone left the plug in the bath when i had a shower and noticed the water wasnt running away. OMG it wasnt the plug it was my hair! i loose loads everytime i brush it and run my fingers through it when i wash it, when i was young it would take me a long time to use hair straightner or crimpler due to being so thick, now its a quick job. guesse i should be going for a short style, not dye it, but heck no im not growing old gracefully!. Will try the biotin blend, thanks for the tip buddah girl.

Sue

• Posted

Sue, never grow old gracefully!  Fight it all the way!  Thanks for the reply.  I feel so much better getting validated through this forum.  At least I am not alone and not crazy.  smile
  • Posted

Hi Kim...  Those things suck!  Is not enough to get wrinkles and grey hair?!  Yes, it is one of the very first peri symptoms, but it usually stops.   Have you tried MINOXIDIL?  It is over the counter, but you should check anyway with your doctor.  Mine prescribed for me, saying to take the "male" dosage and it worked beautifully.  It takes like 3 months to kick in, but it may work.  And desregard people that say that whenever you stop it, the hair will fall, it is not true - I used, I stopped and I am just fine. When your hormons fall in place again you may stop using it. Biotin is good, my friend took it and said wonders.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Bella, thank you!  I tried it long ago but was frustrated at the timing of when it had to be used and it ran down my face... that was in 2009, though, and I know they have foams now so I will definitely ask my doc if it is OK and try again!  Thanks for dispelling the rumor about it falling out once grown too.  Perhaps someone made up that rumor to ensure consumers kept/keep buying it.  
  • Posted

Hi kim

What a bummer, as if its not bad enough that we have to endure everything else Peri throws at us, our hair starts to fall out/thin!!

My hair has been coming out for years I suppose.  Can't say when I noticed it, other than that I have only really had longer hair (bob length) for the past 4yrs or so. Had short hair for years, probably as I was very busy in my work and loved to wash it every day. Do remember my mum moaning at me not to do that, but it was so convenient being that I shower every morning.

TBH I'm not so much concerned about it coming out:  its only strands when I brush at the mo, nothing major.  But I find it - or should I say my family find it, generally in their food, ha ha! - on the rugs, carpets and especially on the car mats. 

I am naturally blonde and have now got what I call really cheap highlights:  my hair has been turning white, and looks fairly presentable with my colouring.  Hairdressers love it, always advise me to leave it natural (TBH I can't be ar*ed to dye it: I'm a low maintenance kinda girl). 

The think that's looking very , very obvious now though is my 'Bonnie Raite' Streak.  I have a side parting, and either side of my fringe (your bangs!) is white:  looks like a really big streak.  I've loved it for the past 15+yrs, but the thing I don't love is that the whiteness makes me look slightly bald at the parting!!!  

As I say, by and large I am a very low maintenance girl, only wear more eye make up when I go out, don't like foundation because of my fair skin - and I've convinced myself it ages me!! -  but have all of a sudden got a bit, well, vain about this baldy-looking parting.

I'm going to get my hair cut a bit shorter as I think it needs a bit of 'ooomph' these days.  Funny, for someone who's considered themselves to be totally un-vain, not bothered about aging etc, its funny how with Menopause looming, I've started to really concern myself with wrinkles and my white hair!!!

You mention Biotin.  I noticed this week there was a post suggesting another lady try Kelp supplements for this very same condition.  By all accounts it is working well for others, so maybe give that a try?  Not sure if it may be an ingredient of Biotin, so always best to have a read up on it/check the ingredients.

Just another thing that we have deal with. 

I know what you mean about your eyebrows too:  sometimes I think I have more hairs on my chin than I do my eyebrows (which I dye v. light brown, being a natural blonde: without I look like I have no eyebrows at all!).

Cheer up kim.  Have a look around the 'Discusssion' on this forum, I'm sure they'll be some brilliant advice for you.

Sx

• Posted

SX, you are so funny!  I feel the same way about foundation and there is evidence that it CAN make your face appear older because as it dries in the day, it settles in the creases/wrinkles making them look deeper!

Don't despair your Bonnie Raite streak -- she's cute and I bet it's a fun look.  Dye it pink or blue and the tweens and 20-somethings will think you did it on purpose!  smile

Yes, those damn chin hairs that grow LITERALLY over night!  What is with those?!?!  Oh Lord!  Do you ever catch yourself in your rear-view mirror when the light comes in your car just right and see those hairs?!  And why are THEY black and all the ones on my head coming in grey?!

Cosmic rhetorical questions that we know can't be answered... but at least are understood here!  Thanks for writing.  I feel better - you UK gals are GREAT!

• Posted

Hi I'm only 32 long hair early peri & it falls out all over the place daily !! It's starting growing back as I've been taking JP capsules but Coming back in grey go figure 🙈
    • Posted

Nix, awww!  32 - poor baby!  You're too young for this B.S.!  What are JP capsules, please?
    • Posted

I know I feel awful too every symptom you can think of I have right now it's a struggle to get up every day but trying to keep going .. My hair is everywhere which drives my bf nuts.. I use a whole food based nutrition, sorted my skin & hair right out I swear by it!
  • Posted

Hi Kim.  Yes, mine started falling out in my early to mid forties.  I had no idea it was related to menopause back then.  My sister didn't have the same problem and she's older than me.  I have really only stopped having periods in past few years and I am 60 now.  The Hair loss seems to have slowed down now, which is just as well because my hair is not even half as thick as it used to be. I didn't try anything because no one could recommend anything that would help. I have just had a new hair cut to try and make it look a bit thicker. Just another thing we have to deal with. Men get out of getter older so lightly!  My partner is 75 this year and still fit and healthy as ever.
    • Posted

Sanguma, thanks for the reply!  Good to know that it might stop.  smile  That's great about your partner but doesn't it just beat all?!  We have periods which are horrific, so we can bear the children, which wreaks havoc on our bodies (but worth it smile then, after all that, Menopause?!  It's so unfair.  And I am - clearly - very angry about it.  But I know to get through it, I have to accept it and just do what I can.  This forum is helping a lot so thank you for writing!
  • Posted

Hi Kim 

Because I have hypothyroidism My hair has thined out a bit on top there is a little bit of a bald spot in the middle on top but it is covered by my bangs I'm 46 also my hair has always been thick but I feel like it has thinned out a bit 

• Posted

Hi Susan, I have hypothyroidism too!  I am sure that is exaserbating things.  I'm having blood work done next week - perhaps my thyroid has gotten worse because the thinning has gotten worse, along with the joint pain that was evident before I got on thyroid meds... hmmmm... thanks for filling in another piece of the puzzle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.