Bisoprolol anxiety withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well unfortunately here I am again. Now one month into withdrawal from bisoprolol and does anyone have any ideas how to cope with this insane anxiety that I am experiencing. Waking at now about 2.30am most mornings with shocking anxietyfor about two hours and the two or three session throughout the day for between half and one hour. I am drinking camomile tea and taking holy basil but neither seem to be do any good. Breathing exercises a little help but not much. I am only down to 1.9mg from 2.5mgs and reducing by 0.1mg ever 10 days so it is going to take me till early August to even stop taking this dreadful medication. Docs want me to go on antidepressants but then I will have to wean off those and they can still not guarantee they will help. Does anyone out there have any new ideas and would it be better for me to wean off quicker.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long have you been on the bisoprolol? I was on it for 4 months and weaned off completely after 4 weeks. Really hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Teresa

I was on biso for 3 months before started weaning but ended up in hospital new years day they thought I had a stroke with the withdrawal symptoms I was experiencing and told to reduce very slowly. They have now marked the episode to a TIA but I am sure its just withdrawal because I have very similar symptoms but not now so severe approximately the same time every day about 4 hours after take biso.

Are you completely back to normal now or still experiencing a few withdrawal symptoms?

• Posted

I would say 90% normal. Every month getting better. It just seems to take a long time. Just every now and then get strong palpitations but can manage. Got all tests back and my heart is fine. Doctor said it the palpitations I get maybe due to anxiety. Please dont give up.

• Posted

I am going through the exact withdrawal symptoms. my doctor prescribed lorazepam, which works great. I'm only taking 1/4 mg and only when symptoms arise. it knocks anxiety down significantly. this low dosage has not caused any addictions , as I may go a few days without taking. worth trying. I no longer wake at 3 am with extreme anxiety.

• Posted

How long have you been withdrawing and have your symptoms got worse during that time? I seem to have terrible side effects from most tablets that I have taken, antibiotics, statins even some analgesics. I have now requested to try a relaxing and meditation support group to see if that helps.

• Posted

Please be careful with the benzo

This happened to me when I was told to just stop biso 5 days prior to an attempted ablation attempt.

I thought |I was having anxiety and was put on a benzo

If I had realized my symptoms were biso withdrawal, I would have never taken the benzo.

That created a whole wack of problems. I lost 3 years of my life to these nasty pills

• Posted

What types of symptoms were you having? Maybe that's what I'm going through as well?

• Posted

Hi

I had appointment with my cardiologist 4 months after stopping the bisoprolol and explained my symptoms of having sometimes a lump in my throat, stomach problems, excessive burping. Also the slightest thing I.e my heart rate would go up quickly. One day I thought I lost my purse and I was in a complete panic. The cardiologist said these were all anxiety symtoms. I explained I never had any thing before I started taking the drug. He said hopefully over time you will feel better and to start to meditate. I have now been signed off his books as I had a ECG for my peace of mind and everything came back normal. I now very rarely get any symptoms. I still occasionally feel I can get worked up quite quickly. I never thought I would feel normal but feel so thankful that I'm getting better. One thing I do now is never take my health for granted. It's a very slow process I'm just so glad I came off the drug when I did. I could of easily started again when I had a bad day but I just kept telling myself there is nothing wrong with my heart and I dont need to take them. I do feel like something needs to be done about this drug as some patients much be much more sensitive than others. Hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Kent,

I had many many symptoms.....

Extreme anxiety. But not fear anxiety, it was all physical

My body would shake especially in my legs. I think that was adrenaline.

The moment I woke in the morning I would go through many things

Over the months following, I had dizzy spells, jerky legs, stomach issues, left ear fluttered, loud noises and lights ent me over the top, sweats, toothaches, facial pressure, palps, tongue went numb, body jerks, body felt like it was being pulled to the right, very teary, aggitation, had a weird bad smell in my nose, both the bottom of my feet were numb, my tongue felt numb,body aches, and oddly, my right armpit smelled like chicken noodle soup.

BUT.....the most important thing to know is that it does get better. Truly. I lost 3 years of my life, but it is very important to remember that time and patience you will need.It does and will get better

There is a really good podcast on benzofree.org that is wonderful to listen to. I suggest you go back to the beginning and listen to them

• Posted

thanks lolasmom. I too have many of these symptoms. I'm 15 months after stopping 30 years metprolol. it's good to know there is an end in sight somewhere.

• Posted

Hi Theresa,

The symptoms of a lump in throat, stomach problems, excessive burping is acid reflux/GERD, if you do get those again, have a 1/4 spoon of bicarbonate in a glass of water, it works. Tablets mess up the gut, we then need to re-establish out gut bacteria.

• Posted

Have you now got over all your withdrawal symptoms? I am reducing very slowly but still experiencing what I think are anxiety symptoms weird creepy feelings in my legs, arms and head and being woken sharply in the night by these weird feelings also periods throughout the day when I feel ill and have just got to sit down with my eyes closed for about half an hour. I will not be off these tabs until beginning of August and was only on them for 3 months when I started reducing.

• Posted

Not over them yet. I will have a few good days followed by several days of symptoms all over again. I think they call this the rebound affect. Getting better, but very slowly. Anxiety still felt, which I never had before. What's weird is that I went back on my beta blocker after the first 3 months of symptoms, but they never went away even after restarting. Two cardiologists and three MD's act as though they're clueless. I seem to know more than them regarding all this. They are always trying to point towards anxiety but not the cause, or imbalance clearly showing in my adrenaline.

• Posted

Kent

You would be amazed at how little the cardiologist actually about the drugs they prescribe, one of the cardiologist nurses told us this on a follow up appointment. They have the list of drugs they are told to prescribe, that is it, we then need to educate ourselves, thank god for the internet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.