Bisoprolol anxiety withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well unfortunately here I am again. Now one month into withdrawal from bisoprolol and does anyone have any ideas how to cope with this insane anxiety that I am experiencing. Waking at now about 2.30am most mornings with shocking anxietyfor about two hours and the two or three session throughout the day for between half and one hour. I am drinking camomile tea and taking holy basil but neither seem to be do any good. Breathing exercises a little help but not much. I am only down to 1.9mg from 2.5mgs and reducing by 0.1mg ever 10 days so it is going to take me till early August to even stop taking this dreadful medication. Docs want me to go on antidepressants but then I will have to wean off those and they can still not guarantee they will help. Does anyone out there have any new ideas and would it be better for me to wean off quicker.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi nannyknitting

It is awful the side effects drugs cause and they are still handed out like sweets. I was given apixaban (anticoaglant) and that messed me up, the anxiety was horrendous. You could try Bach's rescue remedy, it does calm you down. I use Jan de Vires emergency essence as it is cheaper, not as good as Bach's though.

• Posted

Hi Jen86183

Thank you for the advice about the Bach rescue remedy the drops and spray have helped. I also bought the pastilles but didnt think they did much good.

I am still withdrawing very slowly but some days its very hard especially if I have had two or three nights when I have been awake most of the night.

How are you doing now? Hopefully most of your withdrawal has gone now and you can start to live a normal life again.

• Posted

Nannyknitting,

I am glad the Bach Remedy helped. My hubbies side effects from bisoprolol lasted a few months but did cause ectopic beats which set off a chain effect, he had a defibrillator fitted followed by an ablation, he is still being treated nearly two years down the line.

Even the apixaban I was given took months for the anxiety to settle. I volunteer at my local hospital and see the amount of drugs people are given, it makes me more determine to find natural remedies.

I hope you start to recover soon, take care.

• Posted

Hi.Having read what you have to say and the answers received I am left a wee bit concerned.Was on 10mg for a while then had it halved when I got my pacemaker.That was in 2015.Brought up the subject before with my doctor and all he said was not to worry.I am on a few other pills,ramipril included,and all have similar side effects.Thought my life would improve when I got my pacemaker but no change.People keep saying I should sit with my doctor and discuss my meds.Thanks for your post and that of others.I think its about time I had another talk with my doctor.

• Posted

Hi Alan81747

I have only been on 2.5mgs bisoprolol and I will still having palpitations so consultant just said take further 1.25mgs a day. He never told me I would get any side effects from these and quite honestly I dont think he cared. I had paid to see him privately as NHS waiting list was 20 week wait and my palpitations were so bad I think once he got his money that was it. My GP at that time also said I was lucky I only had palpitations to worry about. Needless to say I have now changed GPs. It was only by joining this site that I found out how many people were having dreadful side effects while taking biso and also withdrawing from it. The way I am decreasing my dose I will not be free from it till early August. I honestly dont think doctors or consultants know how bad the side effects of this medication is having a large impact on patients lives

• Posted

Hi Alan,

When you do sit and talk to your doctor make sure you have all the facts regarding your tablets you need, be sure in your mind what YOU want and stick to it.

It us only since my hubbies heart attack almost two years ago and my hip op that I understood how 'modern medicine' works. All doctors now work from a data base that tells them what to prescribe for what illness, they do not like to move from the guidelines laid down. When you explain problems they do think increasing dosage instead of lowering is right. Talking to people who have had a heart attack in my area everyone, seems to be prescribed Aspirin, Bisoprolol, Astorvastatin, Ramipril and possibly Ticagrelor if you have stents, no variation.

My hubby was told he was diabetic after his heart attack, he wasn't, but they would not listen because their little machines reading said he was. He was put on metformin which I believe has caused bladder tumour.

These days you need to educate yourself, be firm and do what you know is best for you otherwise, you will end up taking so many tablets to counteract side effects of others. Good luck when you do see you doctor.

• Posted

Hi Jen.Thanks for the advice.I have made an appointment for GP but have to wait 7 weeks.Along with the bisoprolol I take 10mg ramipril , 40mg atorvastatin,and recently 2mg doxazosin.I was also told I had diabetes and put on metformin, 2x 500mg morning and evening.recently they put me on 25mg of empagliflozin.Will try and get to see the doc sooner.Thanks again to you and everyone else who help and give advice..

• Posted

Alan,

I am not picking up on your post that you have had an heart attack, but a point I did not put last time is that, after a heart attack, glucose levels rise for three around months which obviously gives false readings. One nurse happened to mention this when we kept insisting hubby was not diabetic, the cardiologists, cardiac nursing staff etc., did not seem to know this or chose to ignore the fact. Luckily, we changed GP's who listened, took the three month blood test and eventually took him off the metformin.

I have him off everything except eplerernone and ramipril which is down to 2.5mg from 5mg although, the hospital they wanted it to 7.5mg, god bless the new GP, he said no they have it wrong.

I just want people to take responsibility for themselves and not to be scared to say no if, they know the treatment is wrong. I am not against the medical profession, we are both volunteers at our hospital, hubby on the cardiac ward and I am on vascular.

• Posted

All I can say is to take your time. I was told to stop cold turkey 5 days prior to an attempted ablation. I asked if that was okay to do, Of course he said it was just fine. It WAS NOT OKAY

The physical and mental stuff was horrendous.

The problem was, at that time \I did not realize this was withdrawal from biso, and thought it was anxiety.

I was then put on trazodone and a benzo (clonazepam)Big mistake. I took those for 18m months, and then weaned off for 9 months. I was having withdrawals 20 months after stopping them

If I knew then what I know now.

I would never have taken them. Lost 3 years of my life.

• Posted

Thank you for your support. At the rate I am withdrawing it is going to be August before I can get off this nightmare tablet. Finding it difficult to cut 2.5mg tablet down to size at the moment, cutting it in quarters but then having to shave off tiny bits down to what I think the dosage should be plus taking a 1.25mg tablet. Started from 2.5mgs and only down to about 1.75 at the moment. Doctor has given me anti depressants (which side effect is anxiety) and diazepam which I dont want to take. I am taking holy basil capsules which I think are helping and Back rescue remedy if the anxiety gets bad. Other main problem is I can get to sleep at night but always awake around 1.15am and cant get back to sleep so utterly exhausted through the day. I feel a little better later in the day but dread having to go to bed at night.

• Posted

it will get better, just takes a long time. I would wake up at 3am every morning, but finally stopped after 15 months.

• Posted

Thank you Kent

I hold onto these threads and count the days when I am no longer on this tablet. I hope you are able to live your normal life now.

• Posted

Please please, really consider not taking the diazepam. That opens you up to whole mess of problems. That is a benzo. As I mentioned I did not realize my withdrawals from bisoprolol were in fact withdrawals. Then starting the benzo was a nightmare, and weaning off including post withdrawal was worse than a nightmare.

Stopping cold turkey for my ablation attempt was the beginning of a nightmare. But doctors have not clue.

• Posted

I forgot to mention Of not course with the bisoprolol because |I just stopped it, but with the benzo, I used a magnifying glass, and a razor blade to cut my pill. It certainly was not the best, but I always had one for an example from previous dose. Shaved another down making sure it was smaller than my previous dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.