Bisoprolol causing anxiety

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Folk's been on Bisoprolol 5mg for about 6 months now for high blood pressure also taking Canderstan in recent weeks I have been getting some very heavy anxiety attacks,which I believe  are a side effect of the Bisoprolol anybody else have experience of this from taking Bisoprolol.Since the diagnosis I have taken steps to eat more healthy and exercise more in order to bring it down.It just this anxiety seems to be getting worse and when it's bad my skin feels tight and itchy...help.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This drug is horrendous. I’ve just come off it and I wouldn’t recommend anyone to take it if there is an alternative. My anxiety levels went through the roof as well as some other pretty horrid side effects. I am now on propranalol and feel 100% better. Ask your GP if there is an alternative 
  • Posted

Sounds like you ought to have been on the 'Bisoprolol Trial Team' but then it would appear no one would have listened. I soon came off it and decided to destroy my remaining tablets with a hammer but I just couldn't raise it high enough to do the job.  I stopped taking them a couple of years ago and never looked back.  Am now on Ramipril.  Good Luck! 

• Edited

Hi folk's It seems that I am now discovering the deep side effects of this drug and will now work towards getting of it altogether ,I have made an appointment with my GP to see what he says...its just the anxiety that I have never experienced in 46 years that's so had to deal with....I have taken to cycling 9 miles a day and also discovered meditation with I never thought would have been my cup of tea works really well with a fantastic free app called insight timer which works really well when my anxiety is bad or I wake during the night and cant get back over it seems to take my mind elsewhere and calms me...Thank you both for replying.Any tips for helping come off this would be great I 've read somewhere that magnesium helps any other tips folks feel free need my life back.

• Posted

Hi

Yes l am having same anxiety as you. Been on 1.25 Bisoprolol for about 16 months and at the moment am trying to wean off the horrible stuff. Am on it though for fast heartrate and it's terrible trying to get off it as every time l reduce the dose, very slowly, the heartrate increases and so does the anxiety levels. Am on Lostarten too for high blood pressure and not happy with that either as it makes my nose stuffy and l read that it can make the heart beat faster! Just what l need l don't think. Was on Canderstartin like yourself before that and came off it because that too made my nose stuffed and anxiety through the roof. Can't win l find, am battling through this the best l can. Have you decided what you are going to do yourself? Would like to help but am struggling so my advice most likely won't help you. Good luck though.

• Posted

Hi ,  I'm just keeping an eye on all these horrible  reactions . I'm interested as the doc. mentioned that he wasn't trying to kill me ha!. Anyway after many different types I've settled on Ramipril for my 160/90 BP. I think Losartan caused some problems like missing and odd heartbeats and many of the others as listed in the packet.A horrible reaction is the 'self doubt' thing especially when driving, if in the garden on the tractor all the time thinking How did I manage to get between those trees!- or on the road looking in the mirror- How did I just get through that gap!. None of those problems happening now .  Anyway good luck to all! 

• Posted

Christine,

Please make sure you wean slowly from the biso.  I had to just stop because I was having an ablation.  I went through terrible withdrawals from the biso. I did not at the time make the connection with the biso.  I thought it was anxiety.  I then went on Klonopin and trazodone.   And went through hell weaning off that crap.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have just bustered through the withdrawals from the biso, and not have started the other crap 

• Posted

My doc as prescribed these for me,but as I was too scared to start them as suggested a 24 hour monitor of my bp which is averaging around 120-80
  • Posted

120-80 is not high but average I would be happy with that mines has been about 140/80 but recently 131/82 but was very high when started like 160/180 high not sure why but if I had 120/80 I would not go near a blood pressure tablet.
  • Posted

So I visited my GP not my own GP but another nice enough chap and told him my concerns,he was adamant that the BISO  was not the cause of my anxiety by stating that we give BISO to calm anxiety and would not have it that this was the cause ,wanted then to give me another tablet for the anxiety which I refused as I want off tablets not more tablets...So the long and short of it is I am now cutting tablets in half to 2.5 mil and monitoring my BP to how how it reacts with a view to stopping Biso completely.Have stock up and vitamins and magnesium and 5http and also meditating daily with the insight timer app which helps enormously.Will post how the withdrawal goes.
  • Posted

Terrible medication, I had a Afib, I used it for a mores than a month as a precaution, so much terrible side effects, anxiety, sleeping problems and.....

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

• Posted

Several times I have considered, and tried, to reduce with the intentions of coming off this medication.

I take 3.75mg per day in one dose.

Each time I have had bad experiences in doing so. Perhaps I had tried to reduce too abruptly, even tho I had reduced the dosage by fractions over a longer period of time.

There are people within this forum who have used accurate scale measurements to finely control a very long taper to reduce their dosages.

I understand that I do suffer from anxiety and also this drug does help with my BP.

Perhaps if I had managed to successfully come of this medication then I would have needed something else to manage my BP issues.

I have resigned myself to accepting the situation as being what it is for myself, at least for now.

I was somewhat dismayed to realise how dependant my body had become on this medication, even tho I had been told that it would be easy to taper and stop altogether. That was most certainly not the case for me.

I suggest that you consider talking to your doctor and involve them with the understanding of what you wish to do and follow their guidance.

I do get the impression that the dependency on this medication for some people is not completely appreciated. I have been on this for a few years I am struggling to see an option which would allow me to make changes.

Your situation could be different.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi V

i read your post with interest. I find myself in a similar position with Atenolol. six months ago I reduced from 20mg to 7mg. I have been in absolute torture ever since. Im beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to drop the last 7mg. How are you doing? Have you trued again?

• Posted

I have been able to drop from 3.75mg to 2.5mg and finally to 1.25mg. I am happy enough to continue on this dose, at least for the foreseeable future.

I do feel so much better now tha tI have reduced my dose. My doctor was aware of me reducing my dose and is happy enough with my BP readings etc.

It can be most difficult to reduce medication, far more problematic for some than others. Perhps you need that 7mg or there maybe alternatives that you can work with between yourself and your doctor.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.