Brain fog....memory loss....

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi, please can anyone share their experiences of the above.  I am really worried now, that what I am experiencing may not be hormone related at all and may be something more concerning.  Today I had 5 incidents of really worrying short term memory loss which is really frightening me now in case it could be early dementia or something. I dont feel myself at all.  It all started in September with feeling really weird and spaced out.  After a few weeks this seemed to improve slightly, but am now back to feeling really strange again.  I called a friend by the wrong name today, couldn't remember which was the headlight dial in the works vehicle...which I drive every single day, literally couldn't recall having taken a plate out to the kitchen like 1 minute previously.  Went to the loo, then went to get my plate to take to the kitchen.  My friend said "you just took it out".  Now I just feel really frightened what is happening :-((((

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is very common. Please don't worry it will pass, eventually!  I get this too and its also heightened when i am tired.

Take care....

• Posted

Hi Bubbins,

I've had incidences like what you describe and it scares me too. There is a lot about Part of it may be that we all do have quite a bit on our minds and when the hormones go wacky, it does create these types of moments. Like you, mine seems to get bad then improve, much like my overall mood-very cyclical. I am seeing a new physician on Monday, as this whole nonsense has me really sad lately. Tired of feeling so out of sorts. Not sure I'm much help to you, but I do understand.

Annie xx

• Posted

Thanks.  But I am worried.  I work with aluminium, so how would I know the difference? 😥
  • Posted

Thankyou both.  Feel really sad too.  And frightened x
  • Posted

Aww! Don't be sad honestly it is so common!! I could tell you so much of my forgetfulness! Brain fog! Whatever it's called ..... Driving the car can be a classic forgetting where I'm going or was I going upstairs or down!! Not to make light of it but try not to worry it will pass most definitely.  It is hard but try and change your way of thinking when it happens and don't dwell on it and you will soon be on a roll.  Be positive it's all part of this journey we are all experiencing It will pass. Big hugs to you 💓 xx
  • Posted

Hi Bubbins. Sorry to hear you're so down. Yes, I get this too and it is frightening. I've had brain fog or a grey vagueness that just stops me in my tracks for a few years now, since peri began. On one occasion I forgot my own child's name. At home I am always 'losing' objects. I will put something down (an oven glove, a book, a hairbrush - anything) be distracted for a few seconds and then be unable to remember where I put it. I also stall when I'm talking to people and get stuck in an embarassing silence as I try to find the next word. My ability to do mental arithmetic has evaporated. This. fog is aggravated by tiredness like Toddpodd says. The tiredness also makes me more upset and annoyed with myself. I think I've decided that all this is caused by peri and not by dementia, but I understand your fear. I keep telling myself that it has to pass.  I wish it would get a move on! Best wishes to you. You are not alone.
  • Posted

hello hun, don't be worried or sad it's just another part of meno... I don't even know who I am some days haha!! You have to laugh about it because it's just the one thing that isn't painful!!!

The hubby and I always have a chuckle when it happens, he just keeps telling me 'you'll go in a home if you keep that up mind' 

Keep your chin up hun it'll pass xx

• Posted

Bubbins,

I too have had this it has been on again and then ok, more off than on!!!  I just tried logging on 4 times could not remember my password!!! Had to have them send me a link, it happens alot, and I am on here all the time!  I called my girlfriend and asked her if she thought I had Alzhiemer's, my mom passed from it I am so frightened by it.  I can never find my cell phone when I just used it, I stop in the middle of my sentences and loose my train of thought, I know people and call them by the wrong names, it is scary, but it is all part of this change, I am weaning off HRT and I think that is making it worse, was so bad on it full dose!  But it is scary, very!  I even looked into a website called luminosity to help with memory and cognitive skills, too keep my mind , can I even say sharp???  Take care and try not to dwell as others have stated this to shall pass!  I hope so, here is to remembering in 2015!!!  xo

• Posted

I had that for some time - a lightheadnes, a sensation of being out of my body, and an annoying ear tinnitus that would not help, but I started making an effort to pay attention in things that I usually would not and it helped for the time I had those symptoms smile.
  • Posted

Hi hun,just lately i've been exactly the same and i had begun to think bad things the same as you.I have had lots of other symptoms for quite a while now,i have been very forgetful,but for the last couple of weeks it has been terrible.I forget what i'm talking about mid way through a sentence,I call everyone by the wrong name at work sometimes,whom i've worked with for years,If i ask for directions,i can't remember left or right, and when i'm at work,if i have to go down to the stores to get something,i can't remember what i have gone for and i have to go back and check.And sometimes i can't even remember which key to press on my lap top to hit the return which i use probably a 100 times a day.So the fact that quite a few of us ladies on here have the same problem,it does help immensely to make me feel normal so to speak.So Bubbins,you're just one of us x
  • Posted

Dont b scared. I know what u mean with brainfog and spaced out. I have this often too and short term memory loss. Its typical for menopause. But i am often worried too so understand ur concern
  • Posted

Thankyou all for your kind replies.  I try to tell myself it is probably hormones, but the doubt keeps creeping in.  My sister is a GP and she said dementia would show on an MRI scan which I had not too long ago for something else.  So all would seem fine.  But when I googled dementia, there are several forms.  I'm not sure that they would all show up on an MRI?  Does anyone know?  My work involves metals/aluminium in fine dust form, so am doubly worried 😢
  • Posted

Dear Bubbins believe me your not getting dementia, I am just the same since starting peri in 2012 my short term memory is terrible and cant manage without post it notes at work.  I was at the car wash and all of a sudden couldn't remember which was the clutch in my car when i had to move further along. i go into a different room and can't remember what for, I have gone terrible with names and had to think long and hard what my sister in laws name was the other day (embarassing or what) i forget what i'm saying half way through a sentence. i could go on and on at the things i do. I also feel spaced out and weird at times.  I try to laugh at myself when i stand in front of the fridge with the milk in my hand wondering where i should put it (Grrrrr) Dont be worring yourself Bubbins its our hormones playing tricks on us but i do understand how scary and frightening it is when its happening but i'v become used to myself and dont appear as bad as i

was.  PLEASE dont get sad cos you'll make yourself worse believe me i'v been there and it will get better.  sending you a comforting hug x

• Posted

I have the exact same problem as you hun,thank heavens for this group so that we can all realise that its part of the process,because i think it makes you feel a little bit down as well because you worry its something else.We will not be beaten!!x
  • Posted

Oh thankyou anxious face and to everyone.  I do feel comforted.  Am just really struggling with it all.  It's so horrible.  And to go from someone who was jolly and confident and 'on the ball' to a spaced out, forgetful old woman overnight is hard to cope with!  I also had to confess to my boss at work as I found I was making mistakes, and didn't want her to think I was just becoming incompetent.  they've been really brilliant, but I do feel a bit embarrassed about it all.  When will it all end.....?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.