Dose increase?! Will I ever be me again...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm on my 5th week at 20mg and I really don't feel any better at all. I have the odd 'good' day which really just means I manage to do some housework and maybe laugh with my boyfriend for a little while. The thought of returning to work terrifies me and all I want to do most days is sleep. I'm so tired no matter how much I rest. Shouldn't I feel better by now? This is not me. I cope. I get on with life. I didn't even believe in depression in the true sense of the illness until the anxiety hit! I can't even face turning my mobile on or going to the shops. Could really do with seeing some light at the end if the tunnel! Should I be thinking about increasing my dose? Any support hugely appreciated. I'm sorry for any delay in responding, having real trouble communicating even online at the moment - I do really appreciate the kind words on here and think you're all wonderful for supporting each other. Thank you in advance xx

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Look, It takes time to get the benefits from these drugs.

I have found that if I exercise, walk, or just clean house it helps.

I have been on a number of anti depressents for the passed 25 years. Efforex seems to work best so far. There are days I am not myself and get down, I take a walk and tell myself I will feel better.. After the walk or exerscise.. I do FEEL better. Drink plenty of water to get the garbage and the medicine into the system.  See your doctor and find out if it needs to be increased or decreased.

You control you.. So think and you will become better.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi, Katy.  5 weeks in is probably too early to start feeling better. Some people have a good day here and there in that time, but I think for most it takes a little longer, maybe 6-8 weeks. I know it took me longer than that. I'd hang in there a little longer. I know how you feel not able to much do housework and wanting to sleep all day. These are typical side effects of fluoxitine. Hope you feel better soon and keep us posted on your progress. There are a lot of people on here with good advice and willing to help. It's a wonderful forum.
  • Posted

Hi Katy - stick in there. I've been in the same place as you at about the same time and all I can say is that it does get better. I started to feel better in week 8 no anxiety or depression but soooo tired & lethargic but went back to work on a part time basis & after that it was slowly better each week. Now 3 1/2 months later I feel great 99% of time I just have a little blip now and again but the difference is I feel in control of the blip & not the other way round. So stay focused & take it one day at a time and do what your body wants xx take care & keep posting xx
  • Posted

Thank you all for your messages.The support really does help.

Feeling so frustrated with myself - life is passing by while I sit at home doing nothing! I'll give it more time, I just wish I could feel like I'm making some progress. I'm still awaiting my counselling appointment so maybe that will help when it finally starts. I'll hold on for now. Thank you all. Please keep sharing your progress - it keeps me going and I'm sure there are many more here that rely on it even if they don't interact much. I spend a lot of time reading on here, feels a little like I'm intruding but it makes a huge difference to know you're not alone.

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Katy, you are so not intruding. You're just like everybody else here, trying to keep it together when it seems like your life is falling apart. I am so thankful I found this forum, too. We're all in the same boat and we just need reassurance that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. When you feel this way it's almost impossible to see clearly, and others who have been there and telling their story is just what we need to get through.
  • Posted

Hi Katy, 5 and a half weeks here.  I'm pretty much in the same place you are, the odd good day here and there but generally feeling fairly grim.  Just having the occasional day here and there where I feel better than I have in years really helps keep me focussed on the fact that the prozac is doing its thing and I just need to be patient.  Difficult when I feel anxious and depressed, but trying to keep my eye on the big picture. 

I'm back in work for a short day tomorrow, having been off since October, so that'll be fun eek.  Only to see my team for an hour and pick up a laptop so I can start getting back into things, but still, very daunting!!

Try and look after yourself, little treats through the day and don't give yourself a hard time.  I've just joined the forum and it'd be good to see how you go, so please do keep posting and I'll try to do the same.  Best of luck with it over the next few hours and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you.

• Posted

Katy

Most likely an increase to 40mg will help... be prepared for a repeat of the side effects though.

Im on 40 and have been to 60 for a week and back to 40 as wasn't sure if it was the right thing.

I have put on weight - this is giving me new anxieties, cant seem to shift it. It may be my blood pressure tablets tho...

I'm a bit fed up again now too - I may have expected the happy pills to be a little more than they are.

I may be having an off day - I will just sit it out before my next move.

Bah!

• Posted

To all who have replied - thank you so much. I will respond to you all but I'm having a little trouble communicating right now. Your messages really help, please keep posting and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able. Good luck to you all, I hope you're doing okay and thank you for your support xx
    • Posted

Katy...

done lose touch - I lost touch with someone else in our situation and I don't know what has happened to her. I don't know how she is now - do not give up.

• Posted

Sorry you're still struggling and hope you're doing a little better now. I had a few good days this week but not so great today. I think for all of us its going to be rough going but seeing that some people have improved gives me hope.

I'm seeing my GP today so may well come back with an upped dose. If that happens, even if it doesn't, I'll keep you updated.

Fingers crossed for some relief for you.

• Posted

Hi Richo,

Thanks for caring. I'm still here. Sometimes just having to respond to people makes me anxious - I'm sorry. It's really nice to have support from people who understand though. Starting to have a few hours feeling human for the past few days - still unable to talk to anyone or go anywhere except the doctors but I've been awake a lot more and been able to do a few things around the house.

It's week 7 for me this week I think (haven't counted exactly but I think that's about right...) and I'm disappointed by how little I've improved but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel, which is nice. How are you doing? Hope you're feeling a bit better. Thanks again for the support xx

• Posted

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much. As I said to Richo, I'm getting there very slowly. I can't believe how much this has hit me - I've never suffered with anything like this before, I've always worked hard and managed in stressful jobs and for the past two months I can't even leave the house. If it wasn't for you guys showing me I'm not the only one in this mess I'd probably have lost my mind!

Sorry for not responding earlier - having real trouble keeping in touch with anything. How did it go with the GP? I am still taking 20mg and feel like I'm moving forward - just far too slowly! I really hope you're feeling some improvement. Thank you for the ongoing support and fingers crossed for you all too xx

• Posted

Ps. I've also gained a stone - I've decided there's no point in worrying about it until my heads sorted - don't beat yourself up, once we're all feeling better we can join the gym! xx
    • Posted

Sorry, Richo said he'd gained weight - not Mike!
  • Posted

Hey!  Sorry you've had a rough time of it recently, and don't put pressure on yourself to reply sooner than you're ready to. 

The GP was fine, I'm lucky that she's very understanding.  As I said to her on Friday, I was seeing some improvement but had a pretty lousy day and weekend mood wise.  You know, the kind of days that you just want to go back to bed and wait for sleep, with the hope tomorrow will be better?!  Just anxious and a bit, well, meh.

Anyway, I'm still on 20mg for the next 5 weeks and we'll review it then.  She's given me the details of a therapist, so I'm going to book an appointment tomorrow. 

Looking at other threads around the net, it seems that some people experience the medication working more quickly when they start therapy.  Anything is worth a go at the moment. 

Overall, like you, making slow progress but definitely better than I was 6 weeks ago (nearly seven) when I started.  Just looking forward to a bit more stability, if that makes sense?

So glad to hear you're feeling a bit more hopeful too.  Make the most of those days/hours.  I always loved listening to music, but haven't done that much since the depression/anxiety.  When I had my good days, I loved doing that so much - I felt 16 again!

Let us know how you're getting on when you feel up to it.

• Posted

Thank you for understanding.

Yeah, I definitely get those 'meh' days. Almost every day. I don't remember the last time I got dressed for anything other than doctors appointments and I may aswel throw my make-up away! I give myself credit just for showering every day...

My doc has said pretty much the same, I'm booked in again in 5 weeks and still on 20mg until then. I had thought I might get back to work by then but that seems a bit unrealistic now. Even when I feel okay mentally I'm too tired to do much. Are you managing to keep active? I have just closed my gym account as I haven't been since February, I used to go every day!

I'm on a waiting list for CBT. What kind of therapy are you going for? I've heard CBT is the best for depression and quite widely available - you should try it.

I used to love music, films and I'm a bit of a gamer too but haven't been interested in anything since this all started. If you can bear it, music is the best therapy - go for it. Anything that makes you feel good you should be getting as much as you possibly can of! I spend most of my time reading now, which isn't too bad.

Do you go out at all? Apparently just walking is helpful - I'm not there yet but it may help you.

Thank again and please keep posting, even if I don't manage to respond I appreciate it massively. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.