Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg day by day update

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

i believe there are so many people on this forum who are seeking answers to the questions regarding their recovery - either to keep going on meds, stop, increase, change and etc.

i was on 20mg Fluoxetine for 10 months. Have started with terrible side effects - nausea, insane anxiety, depression, shakes, night sweats, lost of appetite and weight, insomnia and another 100 symptoms. By week 12 they start to subside one by one. Recovery is like rollercoster , up and down. As i have read reviews you need give time fir meds to balance. So after 10 months i was still going up and down and my GP advised to increase - 20mg in morning and 20mg in evening - to try and balance my mornings as they were always the worst.

I will keep updating my journey and it might help someone who is on the same journey and question their recovery

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Day 1 of increase.

was terrified to take a other tablet in evening.

Slept ok and felt surprisingly calm in morning, usually wake up with anxiety.

Had some rumination during day and depression.

Painted, cooked, walk.

Evening was good.

No side effects from increase so far

• Posted

Day 2

Wake up with almost no anxiety.

In few hours start ruminating, jumping heart and slight deatachment.

Evening still no relieve.

• Posted

Day 3

Sad and anxious, no side effects yet.

Day

anxiety lime butterfly in my chest , took 05 lorazepam. makes me so sleepyyyyyu

• Posted

day 12

side effects kicked in - nausea, tiredness, headache, fatigue.

• Posted

sorry to see your struggling with side effects 😦 are rhey as bad as the start up effects?

• Posted

hi was wondering how you are doing ive been on fluxidine 7 weeks for anxiety increased to 40mg 12 days ago last 5 days have been hell hows your experience

• Edited

hi! i have been on fluoxetine for 14 weeks in total - started on 20mg and increased to 30mg after 6 weeks. i didnt notice any major increases of side effects apart from insomnia increasing my dose. its only the past 2 weeks that depression has lifted somewhat - i havent cried for a few weeks or had any suicidal feelings which were dreadful in the first 10 weeks. Anxiety is still a problem for me and this week i have absolutely no motivation and just feel exhausted. im 31 weeks pregnant so thats probably a huge factor contributing to fatigue. i am debating increasing to 40mg as it will have time to settle before baby comes but im on the fence. do you feel better now even if just slightly than before meds? its such a long process. im happy depression has lifted but my depression initiated as a result of the anxiety so im hoping anxiety gets better as the weeks go by!

• Posted

Hi Jo I'm sorry you are going through all this its hell especially I can only imagine if your pregnant in my opinion that's a good sign the depression has lifted I to was on 30 for a week I was afraid to go to 40 as starting up on fluxidine the side effects were really bad I can only tell you what I have experienced when I went to 30 I got little to none side effects for a week so I decided to do what my doctor told me and went to 40 1st week felt I had turned a corner and was getting better then last 6 days got all the side effects again when I went to 40 I really felt good for a week so that has given me hope that the medication will work

• Posted

im sorry your going through it too. the past 4 months have been the worst for me.

maybe a week wasnt quite long enough for the increase to 30mg to settle before increasing again. ive been on 30mg now for 8 weeks and prior to that 20mg. You could discuss with your doctor dropping to 35mg by using the drops and see how you get on, or just try and stick out the 40mg - easier said than done i know! thats why im scared of increasing to 40mg even though i think that is the dose i need to be on, just cant handle the side effects with baby due so soon

• Posted

day 13

feeling tired and depressed, no appetite, a bit better in evenings

Sleeping somehow interrupted

• Posted

hi I am 12 days into increased dose to 40mg I am at my witts end cant take much more 1st week of increase wasnt to bad last 5 days have been like walking through Hell I hope things have got better for you

• Posted

Hi Rob

increase will give you side effects.

You should give one dose enough time to settle, 7 weeks is too early for increase, give chance first dose to balance and start working.

• Edited

day 25 on increase

Side effects pop up on second week, lasted one week and gone.

Terrible morning anxiety gone, feeling like its working. I think it was right time and right decision to increase.

Hope it will keep improving

• Edited

really happy for you Nat I hope my side effects go soon tomorrow will be 2 weeks for increase and 1 week of side effects

• Posted

Hey. I've been thinking about you recently, then stumbled across this post. Glad you're doing well. You've been a great support to me, so do reach out if you need pay back!

• Edited

Hi Steve

i just read your post as well and was glad you are getting better. Those thoughts you have left about anxiety will go away, its like a foot print on the send that will be washed away by the next wave.. And you will improve even more.

Please stay in touch, we all like a "anxiety survivals" family now ..haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.