hello

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been mirtazapine for nine months now,and I have been on 15mg

decided to cut them down as they were making me worse terrible tummy joints and head zaps,now I have been on 3/4 of the 15 for 12 days I was feeling ok then the sickness started and the unable to sleep plus hot flushes my gp is saying no after affects with these tablets I wish to cut down to 7.5mg has anybody had this trouble? sorry about the spelling

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tbh..... I managed my own tapering after being on 45mg of Mirtazapine, the side effects were awful and like you, suffered with the most dreadful joint pain and weight increase.

I noticed a number of side effects with the tapering (actually I skipped to cold turkey very quickly)... these were, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, night time cold sweats and day time felt like I had the flu with shivers etc.... I did get headaches and generally felt under the weather....

3 weeks after my last tablet, the side effects have significantly reduced, still get the moments of anxiety and dread but I look out for the signs and try to keep myself focused....

I guess side effects are exasperated by the fact you know you're probably going to get some and everything us highlighted and seems intensified.

Everyone reacts differently, make sure you see your GP regularly and let anyone close to you know how you're feeling and to be alert to assist you if you're having a 'wobble'....

Well done for getting to the place you have, don't give up, don't doubt yourself, you can do this with the right support xx

• Posted

Hya, I've been on Mirtazipine for 6 years now. Every now n then I look through these forums for some info on withdrawal. Mirtazipine played a big part in saving my life. I was in an awful place, a place that I would have never known existed unless I had been there myself. I am living a great life now and although I will never be completely "cured", I have a lot of self control and self awareness regarding my mental health among other coping strategies. I am on a dose of 45mg and don't have any issues with the drug. I would love to come off it completely as that will be the last step in my recovery I feel. I am absolutely terrified tho as I've read some horror stories on things like this and for me to go back the way with my metal health would be an absolute nightmare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Elem,  

Don't be too afraid, there seems to be 2 methods of WD, too fast or a slow planned safe route.  I'm doing the latter, from 45mg it may take you 9 months or a year, so it's not for everyone, but I think it is the best for the sensitive and to avoid nasty wd symptoms, insomnia being the worst.  Our local GP's here in UK seem to think you can taper to zero in 2 or 3 goes, but this generally brings great suffering of anxiety, nausea etc - so wrong.

Did you do CBT or Mindfulness, I think these have helped me, along with yoga and meditation.  Like yourself, I figured it best to strength myself from within before wd.  Afterall, the Mirt' acts just like a sticking plaster to cover over the underlying angst, so we have to cure what lies underneath to be well again, don't you think?

In my humble opinion, after 6 years, a slow method would be advisable to help the nervous system to readjust and restabilise.  Did you look at the 10% advice (for help with your informed choice) at :

About me

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

Some get on ok with the 10%, I think for me even that is too fast so I am doing a 5% every 2-3 weeks ... ugh

Are you UK?  Liquid Mirt' is available here and is easier to break into smaller tapers, other than that Mirtazapine "Sol Tabs" are available and can be dissolved and using a syringe, youu can take the dose needed.

Anyways, you will have to think for a while, plan your time, maybe after the summer, when ever suits youu best, prepare psycologically maybe.

Wishing you well Elem smile

• Posted

Hi Calmer, thank you for your advice. Yeah I'm in Scotland, I didn't even think about liquid format or any other tbh. It's the tablet format I get but I'll defo look into it. I think what the GPs seem to forget is that we kno our own bodies better than anyone and that each person is different. I have done CBT, I had tried it many years ago and didn't seem to help but obviously wasn't the right time for me. Once I was in the right place it worked great. Even though I never believed in it before. You're 100% right - the medication only covers up the problem until you're ready to deal with it. I feel like I'm ready but terrified that I can't handle it. I just don't want to be on it the rest of my life, even though I've had no problems with the tablet itself. And I defo would do it gradually. There's no rush.

How have you coped with withdrawal if you don't mind me asking? If you did it gradually was it that bad?

Thank you ☺

• Posted

Hi Elem

When the time comes for you to reduce, I would speak to your doc about the liquid, or failing that Mirt' Sol Tabs.  Nyx on this forum is geting on fine with the Sol Tabs which dissolve in water (although an extremely good shake is adviseable).  

I'm still tapering, I'm at about 4.2 mg right now, going a 5/7% taper every 2-3 weeks or so.  I have only suffered with fatigue for a few days each taper, non of the anxiety (touching wood) and on 2 drops I felt quite low.  I just hope this remains the case!  

I was on 15 mg for a year, putting on about 20 lbs, feeling bloated, always tired, but once below about 7.5 mg the craving for carbs/chocolate/bread with BUTTER! all stopped, but losing weight is still a big problem, it doesn't seem to be shifting - yet.  

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi orchid

Yes this is defo mirt withdrawal. I'm on day 10 of reduction from 45 to 30mg

I too have nausea and cramping in my tummy. Ive taken a cyclazine for sickness and buscapan for cramps.

Also have what I call a med headache pressure on my temples.

Are you feeling anxious or stressed about anything?

What were you put on them for in the first place?

You can expect some of your old symptoms to come back as part of the withdrawal. Generally people say the lower doses are harder to beat than the higher

My opinion is you are doing the right things going slowly so your brain can handle it.

Im no professional but I'm gonna wait til things improve for at least 2 weeks before I jump any further.

Sorry to hear that your suffering.

Can you manage your symptoms ok? It will wear off but wait until it does before you go any lower

Here if you need to chat

S x

• Posted

Thank you for advice the symptoms only got on the 12th day which was yesturday I thought I would  able to cope not to sure now 

I had bad results from the hospital and I went a litle bit over the edge not enough to do any thing silly,but can understand how easy it can be 

Thank you for caring

• Posted

I think this is the hump for you

Give it a few days if your thoughts persist speak to your doc

Im on day 10 and my determination is taking a battering today getting scared of future tapers

But no way I'm turning back now we just got to ride it.

Just remind yourself you are still you and will be back to the true you soon.

Here if you need a chat

S x

• Posted

Hello

I am now on day 18 of 11.75mg still feel sick and the tummy upset the head bit is not so bad I have started to take 500mg of paracetamol tablets and helps.

I did go back to the gp yesturday and I saw a different doctor He wants me to go back to 15mg for 2wks then drop down to 7.5mg hoping I   will be able to stop, if it makes ill again,he is willing to give me the liquid.He did check to see how much it will cost and it is£60 a bottle I will  check with Calmer to see how much the bottle holds.

I do hope you are feeling better,perhaps your doctor will relent and give you the liquid,I am cutting the tablets I did ask the chemist if they can do it but she said it is hit and miss cannot promise it will be a true weight. so I will carry on with what i am doing till I get liquid

Hope you feel better soon

Px 

• Posted

Hi orchid

Honestly i think you've come to far to turn back now.

I am actually starting to feel better. Still not out of the woods but can see light through the clouds now. Day 14 was the peak for me.

Although if you are in that much discomfort then give yourself a break. You'll gt it next time.

Im going to stay at 30 for a few more weeks and see how i settle down. When i feel ready i will reduce to 22.5 and see how the withdrawals are then. Will be able to judge then if it makes a difference big jumping or little jumping like a little experiment.

Ive found forcing myself to do normality this last few days has helped a lot. Even went out with my sis today to meet her grand daughter. We went to weatherspoons for lunch and i felt anxious while i was there which is strange for me. I love a pub. But forced myself to be normal even tho i had to strip off to my vest and kept shaking lol.

But is only because i feel weak and withdrawn. Im going to keep going until it doesn't bother me.

Sorry you are suffering. You did go alot quicker than me you're on your second jump aren't you?

I felt awful fir 3 weeks. Still not out of woods but the suffering is now a memory. Cant wait til its over and i can function from my own steam

Dont be ashamed of taking something to stop your suffering. If you had broke your leg you wouldn't care about taking pain killers for it. This is no different. Its the mirt you want out of your system if they help along the way do it.

S x

• Posted

If sleep is the problem during withdrawals can't the doc help you with that? I had a weeks worth of zopiclones. Am pretty lucky my doc knows I'm a stubborn person and knows I'm determined. He said to do it however I wanted for as long as i wanted as long as i keep him informed and he said let me know if there's anything i can do to help.

He gave me some codeine today to help my stomach as it is pain. Not anxiety excruciatingly painful. They have helped.

Hang on in there

S x

• Posted

I have got to 11mg by cutting I started that dose last night, will stop on that for a few weeks and then get the liquid,I know I cant go now to 7.5mg straight away as now know it is too big a jump for me,

I have like you zopiclones but I took them to near to taking my mirts and I had such a headache that I havent taken them since.

I have been going out a bit but really glad when I get home I dont like a lot people round me and the lights in the shops

I am dreading going to the hospital for my next appointment next,still I have valium to take on those days I only take a 1/4 of 2mg each time and that gets me through.

We get there in the end

Px

• Posted

Hi Orchard

The liquid Mirt bottle holds 66 ml.

1 ml is equivalent to 15 mg tablet, so it hold 66 doses of 15 mg if you like.  Once opened the bottle is supposed to last no more than 6 weeks, this isn't a problem at first, but later when you're down on the doses, unfortunately you have to dispose of it because it loses its potency apparently (says so on the instructions anyway).  I've managed to keep it going for 7/8 weeks, then its back to fingers crossed and hoping the doc' will give me more!  Like an addict needing her fix ... ugh 

It took me a while to get my head around the different method and work out the doses ( had a few panics but all was well, its just working it out). For instance 11,25mg is 0.75ml of the liquid.  If you want I can send you the breakdown of mg to mis, just let me know.  

It is advised to go with the same dose of the liquid, by that, say you were on the 11.25mg tablet then stay with the equivalent 0.75 ml for a week, just to stabilise.  Some have even said to " updose" when switching from tablets to the liquid, but I didn't and I was fine, obviously nervous but nothing to note.

Its not difficult, if I can do it anyone can, and again - the slower you go the more time your complex neurons in your brain can readjust, and the less suffering in the long run.  Betsys good at explaining this if you've been lucky enough to catch her posts.

• Posted

Thanks Calmer

I could not get the cut right last night and I ended up taking 11mg instead

of 11.75mg I think I shall weather the storm and keep on this as it is easyer

to cut,I also took a paracetamol last night.

I cannot go  back to the doctors for three weeks to get the liquid as I am suposed to cut down the way he said

It will make it easier to work out the dosage if I stay on the11mg? 

what  will work as,my brain doesnt work so well at the moment.I tried to hang some curtains today I have just realized how weak I am,nearly fell of the ladder ended up shaking like a leaf,will not do that again in a hurry,I think I will go and lay on the bed to  get over the shock.

Could you send me the breakdown please then I will have all in place when I switch over.

Thank You My Friend

Px 

• Posted

Oh Calmer I have realized  what a silly thing I have done I have gone down to much no wonder I feel so terrible,back to 11.75 tonight so would be so kind to work that out from  there for me.

There is know fool like a old fool my father used to say.

Thank you

Px

• Posted

Aww bless you

I'm the same got no patience. Shame the zopiclones don't suit you they really helped me.

Take it slow no rush the doc can't force you to do anything you are not ready for.

Especially with all your hospital appointments.

Much love

S x

• Posted

we all go a little scatty on the Mirt'  !!  me too, sometimes I just give in and read when I get spacey.

Just a bit more confusion here from me - didnt you say a few days ago you were on 11.25?  Only above you just said to stay on 11.75.  Yes 11.25 is easier to cut as it is 3/4 (three quarters) of 15 mg, so 2 cuts.

x

• Posted

Right here we go I cut a 15mg in half then I cut one of the half in two so I take 3/4 of 15mg.I sorry about that,if I had a brain I would be a danger to all concerned,

Getting ready for my scan tomorrow,then the big CT Scan on May 6th valium at the ready,

Px

• Posted

Hope the scan goes ok and the results are favourable ?  

No I think my bp is ok, not had it tested tho so can't be sure!  

Keep up the good work Orchid x

• Posted

Thanks for asking  all vital organs are clear,one more to go,so fingers crossed All I need now to kick this tablet into touch and all will be fine.

Hope you have a good weekend,Is has been a lovely day to-day.

Px

• Posted

You're on the up yayyy, have a great day yourself, enjoy the peace now maybe x
    • Posted

No I am  not all kick of this morning again

Px

• Posted

when I woke up this morning I was drenched in sweat and now the belly ache and feeling sick again.

I was reading some thing from the Royal College of psychiatrists, and they wrote on the first cut of 10% wait two months then do anther cut of 10% wait and see if no problems do every three wks,

The do say that they are not addictive but you do get withdrawall from them.

Hope you are well

Px

• Posted

oh no, sounds like you have withdrawal waves, disappears then comes back in waves ... sounds horrible, poor you.  

Yes, always best to assess how younare after the first drop, holding when necessary ... besgt to stay where you are right now Orchid don't you think?  Just wait until you feel stable again, we're all different ~ no one can say when its best for you, only you.  You will know though.

I am ok thank you, although my daughter & 2 ex uni friends are visiting/boomeranged back, & took over the quiet household ... waiting for normality now !  

• Posted

Yes  agree I am cutting the tablet just by the 5 and I dont know what that is in mg but I keeping to that measurements till I am stable,what do they say more haste less speed

Have good Mayday

Px

• Posted

Hi Orchid, how are you today?  

What do you mean when you say "you are cutting the tablet just by the 5"?

xx

• Posted

I am cutting where it marked 15mg so I am cutting it just by the five so I am only doing the one cut it does make it easy and it makes the cut more even.

Terrible night went to bed at 10.30pm woke up at 12.35am and that was the end of my sleep.I have the sickness this morning and a little fuzzy

head,

enough about me how are you are you back to peace quiet now?

it is nice to see them and is nice to see them go,

Have good day

Px

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.