hello

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been mirtazapine for nine months now,and I have been on 15mg

decided to cut them down as they were making me worse terrible tummy joints and head zaps,now I have been on 3/4 of the 15 for 12 days I was feeling ok then the sickness started and the unable to sleep plus hot flushes my gp is saying no after affects with these tablets I wish to cut down to 7.5mg has anybody had this trouble? sorry about the spelling

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Orchard

We all have different levels of being able to deal with the drops in wd, yours is 25%, too big for me, I prefer 10% every 3-4 weeks, or even 5% every 2 weeks.  See how you go, but if this cut was unmanagable, for you to repeat, do a smaller cut next time, 10%, be kind to yourself.  Those symptoms sounds pretty rough, especially the insomnia which just makes us feel 10 x worse.

12 days you say, I would think you will turn a corner soon, feel stable again, wait for that, enjoy it for a few days before another taper, we're all different and cope differently, super sensitives go slower, the boys are braver and go fast and hit a wall ... not for me.

I'm tapering also, fatigue is bad for me around day 4-5 which lasts a while then disappears, I have a few days of feeling really well then do another drop ... ugh ... so it goes on.  

Sometimes it is good to print something for the doctors to show them of others suffering, although they don't like us reading up on the internet, but yes, your symptoms are typical of Mirt' wd, doctors just don't seem to realise.

Please take it steady, wait for the wellness before any further cut, be kind to yourself.

Wishing you well Orchid x

• Posted

Thank you Calmer for your thoughts,the docter wants me to stop straight

away as she said I am on the lower dose,I think after reading all of you smashing people and what you  all going through what would I be like if I went cold turkey I hate to think.

Wishing you well also 

• Posted

Doctors !!!  Have a little read here and maybe print some of it off for your doctor to read, she can't argue with it really now can she?  I actually did this and produced it to my GP, I think we have to fight our corner with this one and all !!

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum, 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD". 

Best wishes x

• Posted

Hello Calmer

Really having a bad time now,panic is hitting rather hard with the feeling

sick most of the time.I have three hospital appointments in the next ten days and that is playing on my mind,then you have to wait for the results,,going on to what you said about the liquid caps can you send details how to use them please.

I am going to stay on 3/4 of15mg for a bit longer I do think I went down to quick and cutting them with a knife it was never the same amount which isnt helping.

How long have you been tapering? and what dose did you start on and how long is it taking you? I do hope you will feel better soon.

You are right the Drs do not like you reading up on this drug or any  other.

Look after yourself

Px

• Posted

Sorry you're having a bad time Orchid, this wd can be so awful, the anxiety and insomnia the worst I think.  How many days since your drop to 11.25 is it 14 or 15 days?   2 weeks can be the peak oh wd so I would try and imagine it will only get easier now ... usually it does after 14 days.  Keep eating even if its only toast, banana, cereal, carbs are good to help relax especially before bedtime.  

The liquid tabs or Sol Tabs are on prescription, you really should let your doctor know what suffering you have so that she can see, and hopefully be on your side now (!), I hope she will.  Ring her tomorrow, say you are desperate (I would and have before now)  Let us know in the morning how you are,  You don't need to do another taper until you feel back to stabilisation, I would wait 3 - 4 weeks after this taper, your doctor just must undertstand, explain, go in with a little note if she makes you feel intimidated (I've done this too).  

No I agree, cutting with a knife isn't the best way, even a pill cutter can make it crumble, they are available at the chemist.  

I have been doing a slow taper (5% sometimes 7% every 2-3 weeks) with the liquid Mirt, I had to beg for this - but once opened the bottle is only supposed to last 6 weeks, it loses its' potency apparently, so this means I have to throw half away, its a crime because I desperately need it, but can't use it.  My doctor thought I would only need 2 bottles but obviously not - I have been withdrawing since October 15.  I think I was very lucky to read on this forum about the 10% method, and I halved it again becuase so many people were still suffering with the 10%.  

I started on 15mg, so you see, it is a long term plan, in my humble opinion I believe this is the only way, to avoid the nasty wd symptoms.  I have been ok on the whole, I'm touching wood.

So you have a couple of weeks to go before another drop, so take your time,  With the stress you are under re the hospital appointments (are they yours?) you may well have a harder time whilst withdrawing becuase of the worry, all the more reason to stay where you are now on the dose.

Hope you have a good night, well an ok night anyway, do you sleep alright?

Thnking of you x

• Posted

Hello Calmer

Terrible night still shaking from it,

My other half made me go back to the Doctors this morning.

Now i had to see a different one as my mine had a day off,Now get this II am to go back on 15mg for two weeks and then drop down to 7.5mg I 

did say that is too much of a drop for me to do,as I am this bad on 3.75  drop,but he did say if I cannot do this and it is still making me ill he will give me the liquid.

The only other thing I can take a valium tablet to help me,as I am having a few hospital appointments in the next fews weeks,yes two of them are mine  one for the other half.

I only sleep for a few hours 3 at the most before it all kicks off again so I am going to keep one this dose of 3/4 of 15mg for as you say another two weeks then drop down to 7.5mg and then go back and ask for the liquid.

Thank for your kind thoughts

Px

• Posted

Are you talking to Suzannah on this Mirt' forum, she is in a similar position to you, tapering, quite a big drop, sick, anxious etc ... you might get comfort from having a chat? 

When you say your doctor said "if its too much of a drop going from 15 to 7.5 he will give you the liquid" and yet this crazy doc wants you to increase to then decrease ... that sounds kinda like it doesn't make any sense, yes going back up to 15 mg might improve your tapering symptoms that you are suffering at present eventually, not necessarily straight away, it may take a week or so ... 

But yes, you're right, I agree with you, the 3.5 has been really hard, so if you go 15 to 7.5 that is double the original drop - NO, I just can't see this being good for anyone.

I would save the Valium for when you are desperate, not take it alongside 7.5mg Mirt' - draw up a 10% plan on paper and show the doc' I would say, let him see you want to do it your way because the 3.5mg is almost more than you can stand?  

How long have you only been sleeping for 3 hours?  Since the taper to 11.25?  Can you nap during the day?  I found I had to watch some TV or read a book under the duvet/blanket in the afternoon when my anxiety was bad, then I would steadily relax and doze or fall asleep, did me good.  But if I went to bed in an afternoon with the 'determination' to get to sleep, I wouldn't be able to because I was too anxious !  

Well I hope in the next 2 weeks you can have a think about your next taper, but I wouldn't go down to 7.5 if I were you, I would get that

liquid nectar that he has offered you and do a 10% ... even that is big for some.

Hang on in there, I think you will be okay soon, how many days since youu went to 11.25?  

x

• Posted

You are right I am not going to  make that drop I am going to tell him I cannot do it it will make to ill.

To be honest I havent been sleeping well since I have been on the mirts

but the funny thing is every body else seem t o have done.

I am on my 17th day plan to do another week and see how I feel if all goes well I will make a 10% drop then get the liquid.

Thank you fo all your advice it really has help me

x

• Posted

Good for you; sometimes it can be so hard to stand up to our doctors can't it!  I can't get in to see mine, but as long as I can keep getting repeat prescriptions of liquid Mirt' I am happy, although I should get to see my doc' really.

Day 17 - is the anx' and nausea any better at all?  

I'll be around for quite a while to come, just happy to help anyone going through the same thing really  smile  x

• Posted

Hello Calmer

Had a little smile to myself when I saw about yoga,I think at 74yrs its not good time to start,

How much does a bottle of mirts hold.

Also has the tablet done any to your bp?my going up and down each time I go.

The way things are going we will all be here for a while

Px

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.