Hello I'm new! Awaiting a CT scan

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello thought I would introduce myself, I am 39 years old, looking back I have always had toilet issues, but over the last 2 years it's got worse and I have now been prescribed anti depressants as the doctor thinks it's stress related IBS! I'm not convinced this is the answer but I'm willing to give it a go! My main symptoms are...I constantly feel that i need the loo, I go 3-5 times a day, but never feel empty, it is as though I can feel the poo sat in my bottom, I'm regularly sore from wiping so much too, I've had a sigmoidoscopy which was clear, I'm now waiting for anCT scan which I think will show if anything as I won't be 'empty' for it like i was for the sigmoidoscopy. With the constant feeling of needing the loo it has put me off doing my regular exercise as I am in constant fear I'll have an accident as the feelings are that intense! I also suffer from Lots of rumblings and I don't mean from my tummy From my bottom!?? Also I worry when I need to pass wind as quite often it feels that poo will come out instead!? Anyone else suffer like this and know of what can help? I'm so fed up of the way I feel all the time!!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like IBS.  Do you have stomach pain that moves about?
    • Posted

Hey, no I don't tend to have any pains! Touches wood! Take today

, I've already been 3times and atill have to feeling I need to go again, the feeling is like I'm going to have diarrhoea but so far touch wood poop has been fairly norm! 😞 Know I'm getting myself in a pickle I feel very jittery and scared! So fed up, it's a bad day!! Luckily I'm not at work! At home with my little boy. But supposed to be out this afternoon and worrying about how I'll be!!

• Posted

Have you tried keeping a food diary to see if you have a food intolerance?
    • Posted

Hey, I've started a basic one! I only had veg and mash pots for tea last night, I did have a glass

Of wine!? Only the one!!

I will keep a more detailed one to see if I can find a link!

• Posted

If you can't find any pattern, see a dietician.

• Posted

I agree, it does sound like IBS. The symptoms you describe are similar to mine before being diagnosed with IBS. 

My triggers are cerisin foods, but it was only by following the Low Fodmap diet that I was able to identify them. Stress and anxiety can also be major triggers. Like you, I got caught in a viscous circle - if I had to go out I was afraid I might need the loo urgently. That made me anxious, which in turn aggravated the IBS. I had almost reached the point that if I had to go out somewhere, I didn't eat anything for several hours before the journey/outing. I would only ever eat at home when I knew I wouldn't have to leave for at least 3 hours. 

I have a brilliant GP and he suggested Low Fodmap. It doesn't work for everyone, but it has certainly worked for me. Provided I avoid trigger foods, I can lead a completely normal life. I do still get the occasional flare up, but they are usually short lived. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Oops, meant to type "certain" foods!! 

Jan

• Posted

Hi thank you for your comments, I have just purchased a low Fodmap book so will start to change my diet when I get

Organised and familiar

With it, I hope it helps my symptoms like you.xx

• Posted

Hi Jan, what do you have for lunch on the low Fodmap diet? Do you just substitute for gluten free bread?

Hope you don't mind me asking!?

Jo. Xx

• Posted

Hi. For lunch I either have sandwich made from GF bread( tuna, hard cheese, salmon, that type of thing)  GF crumpets and cheese, eggs on toast, or soup - tomato and scotch broth are good because they are GF and don't contain onions which is one of my food triggers. I invested in a bread maker and often make my own bread. It's really quick and easy to mix the ingredients, pour it into the machine, and a couple of hours later you have lovely fresh bread. 

I make most of my evening meals from scratch and pretty much eat everything I used to apart from mushrooms, onions, garlic and asparagus. I substitute chives, the green part of leeks and the green part of spring onions for onions, and use garlic infused oil instead of garlic. I'm fine with most root vegetables but can only tolerate small amounts of brocoIli or cauliflour, and very few fruits apart from pineapple. I have learned by experience to read the ingredient list on all products - for example some supermarket own brands of tomato ketchup contain onions. The good thing about Fodmap is that it really does help you to identify any food triggers. Everyone is different but I can honestly say that after nearly 2 years of following a Low Fodmap regime I don't feel in the least bit deprived and enjoy a varied, nutirtious diet. 

Feel free to ask anything, any time. 

Jan

• Posted

Thank you Jan, that is extremely helpful! I'm off to the super market at lunch to get some gluten free bread and crumpets! A bread maker is a brilliant idea too, I shall look into that. Thanks again, I really appreciate all your advice, fingers crossed this will help! Today I've switched to almond milk, hoping that will help too! As you say it's identifying your triggers which is going to take some work! I had broccoli on Sunday and had a bad day yesterday so maybe that's one of mine! You think you're being healthy eating veg, I was trying to boost my iron levels ! Doh!! Thanks again 😘

• Posted

Hi Flik

I am also 39 and although I have had IBS on snd off for 10yrs-these last few months all my symptoms seem to have changed and have been pretty constant.

Hence being sent for all sorts of tests.I am also waiting on a CT Scan.

For the last 2 weeks i feel like you do-not going to the loo anymore than usual really-but feel like i NEED too-constant farting and burping also.

I want a Colonscopy or the very least a Flexi-sig as I know this will ease my worries that it could be something else.

Does anyone know if I can just request one? its the only test the GPs have not done for me in fairness.

I did do a home FOTB test which came back positive but as I was eating red meat and had been taking meds which could interfere with the results I am not sure how reliable that was-but still!!!!!!!

(told Docs this and didnt seem bothered-did do a calprotectin stool test though but still waiting for those results)

Not sure what could help you-making try fibre to bulk your stools up-I am using ground flaxseeds-just add to yogurt/cereal/meals

Also I take a probiotic tablet and peppermint oil tabs.

The peppermint and the flaxseeds were suggested to me by a consultant  I paid to go see.

• Posted

I am also surprised you have not had a Colonoscopy suggested-I know you ahd the sig but this cant see as far into the colon...
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments, I have been taking Fybogel! And a probiotic drink, didn't know could get tablets I'll look out for that! I'll also try some ground flax seeds. You can request the sig test

At docs! Not sure re colonoscopy, I will wait for CT scan as all my symptoms seem to be bottom related rather than colon but I won't rule out till I've been checked thoroughly!! Xx

• Posted

Didnt know you could rquest a sig-will ask about that.thanks

Cant quite believe I want to have some one stick something up my bum!!! but hey ho-it will ease my worries.

• Posted

Haha it wasn't that bad, saying that I was sedated for mine as i went private! The worse part was the 'prep' the night before!!

If it will put your mind at rest it's definitely worth it! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.