How long does it take for MMA blood test results

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the past 18 months I haven't felt right to start with it was tiredness, occasionally feeling sick and lightheaded but back in July while eating my dinner my chin and one side of my face went numb. Since then i have suffered every day with all of the symptoms connected to b12 deficiency. I have has several serum b12 tests which always come back in the normal reference range but at the low end. 263 pg/ml, 320 pg/ml and 268 pg/ml my GP has said that as my levels are in the normal range deficiency is impossible. i also suffer with my stomach which has led to weight loss. ive had MRI scans, countless blood tests, 24 hour ECG and various other tests which have all come back clear or normal. The only thing that was picked up was a vit D deficiency which my GP said was causing all of my symptoms, this has now been corrected and my levels are back to normal but i am still very unwell and none of the symptoms have gone. I collapsed while in with my GP and she reluctantly agreed to test my b12 again along side MMA after i practically begged her to carry out the test.

i am really struggling have been signed off work for the last 6weeks and my period makes everything worse.

i had the MMA blood test over 2 weeks ago and wanted to know if anyone knows how ling this test takes to come back as i am struggling to cope now.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A normal B12 serum test might be in normal range but that does not been your not deficient. Check out the NICE guidelines in relation to B12

• Posted

thank you for your reply. i have been looking at NICE and i'm struggling to find the information i need to take to my GP do you have an recommendations of what to search etc. ?

• Posted

hi I was told the same thing but saw another Doc and mentioned that in France Japan and many other Euro countries treatment starts at 500. He auth the shots and I have had them ever since.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have tried telling them about other countries and i've done hours of research which i have shown them but they still say its not b12 and must be something else. Really don't know what else to do as i cant cope worth this much longer its taken over my life.

Have you noticed a difference since having the injections ?

• Posted

are you based in the UK? If so contact the Pernicious Anemia Society. They are great source of information and will give you information to take to your doctor. This is often misdiagnosed and treatment not given when it should be.

• Posted

Are you vegetarian or vegan as this can lead to having low b12 levels

And have they recommended you to have an endoscopy due to your stomach issues? I'm currently on b12 shots every 3 months and started having stomach issues, went for an endoscopy and they found inflammation and erosions.

I have an appointment in January to get results.

If your b12 is low but its not diet related it could also be linked to gastritis?

Maybe worth asking for a second opinion if your not happy with what your current doctor has said

I hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I dont follow any particular diet and i'm not veggie. I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy booked in for late December to see whats happening with my stomach.

I went back to the doctor for a second opinion yesterday as i'm now suffering one sided facial and limb numbness on and off every day along with all of the other main symptoms of b12, weakness, tiredness, lightheaded and dizzy the list goes on. I was told yesterday that its all in my head and its impossible to be deficient if the b12 blood test comes back normal.

No idea what to do now! my MMA blood test still is not back and that was taken over 3 weeks ago.

• Posted

I have pernious anima and b12 deficiency and your symptoms I can relate to some of them the daily numbness in my face to the side and my arm all right side feels like a feeling inbetween numbness and pinsa and needles mines getting that bad I drop things now I also have fibromyalgia which the doctor said it was related to I dont tend to agree join the b12 group and pernicious anima and b b12 group they are the best

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look at joining the groups. That is exactly how it feels along with dizziness, becoming lightheaded, extreme tiredness and heart palpitations its making daily life a struggle. I am hoping to get diagnosis soon

• Posted

im struggling with this ... started with the heart palpitations , diarrhea and now nausea, lack of appetite, facial numbness , hands and feet too... i cant sleep because of the heart palpitations . they have tested me for everything under the sun... wiaitng for the MMA test too come back...

my iron is 12... but hemoglobin is normal and hermatocrit is good too . what helped . mind you im on blood pressure meds but my bp is good... i feel like im losing my mind . i have 3 boys and havr been too emerg and they told me i have sinus rhythm due too possibly thyroid or a vitamin deficiency... my thyroid is good though.

• Posted

It's good you have the tests booked in as this could shed some more light into what is happening.

It's must be frustrating as your levels are in normal range just at the low end, have you had your iron levels tested? This can also cause fatigue and dizzyness etc

I haven't suffered with facial numbess before, but I did in hands and feet, annoyingly I still slightly suffer with all symptoms despite b12 now being in the 900 range.

Would it be worth taking over counter b12 tablets? Think you can get them from a chemist for around £1.

Sorry your results arnt back, unfortunately I haven't had them done before but would have thought they should have been back by a week... Did they not give you any indication of how long they should take?

• Posted

Thanks for responding and sorry to hear you are still suffering the symptoms.

My iron levels have been checked and they are normal. I am worried about taking any b12 tablets until they have finished testing as I've read that it can affect them.

Just have to hope the MMA blood test come back soon and wait for the colonoscopy and endoscopy in a few weeks time. Just seems to take forever to get any results. I hope it all goes okay for you in January.

• Posted

I dont think B12 tablet work in the same way as injections. If the issue is with absorbtion then tablets wont work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.