huge discomfort blow left rib

Posted , 128 users are following.

31/2 yrs ago I had a mild stroke. The morning after I felt a small discomfort on my left side just below my rib. The dr looked and felt but could see or feel nothing. Said it may just go away. Gradually the discomfort got worse and now is sometimes unbearable. It is always present and has indeed reduced my quality of life to a great degree.

I have had CT scan, virtual colonoscopy, endoscopy, chest xray and ultrasound. All negative. I have seen a neurologist and 2 x gut consultants, again nothing.

After all that NOBODY has the slightest idea what is wrong. (this is a time when everybody seems to give up on a patient!)

The discomfort is just like as if someone is pushing their first firmy into the area immediately beneath my left lower rib and I tend to be automatically holding my hand, with some pressure on it, all day for somekind of relief.

Is this a nerve or a gut problem, or anything else and perhaps npthing to do with my stroke after all?

I now have to 'get out of my pram' to get any further tests done. Doctors switch off. Have you tried to push treacle through dry sand?!

I am 67. Has anyone else suffered this problem please?

James

7 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Joshua

I am 20 years old from California, and I have the same problem. It feels like my left side is going to burst. I some time get a bad sharp pain in my chest when I lay down. It really feels like my ribs slides on top of something. It's a wierd and painful feeling. I've had X-rays and ultrasounds and nothing has come back. rolleyes hope you guys find a solution soon.

• Posted

You may wish to consider the posibility of a T6/7/8/9/10   (thoraic disk hernia) Slipped Disk.

The spine contains numerous lateral nerve roots that move out sideways from the spinal cavities between the vertebrae and there can be nerver impingement / trapping of these sidways nerves which lead to the ribs on either side.

Because of this, a spinal problem / damage / pathology CAN and oftn does result in 'referred pain' that seems to come from any one of the ribs (hence the thoracic vertebrae) Even though you think the pain is caused by something in / on / around the rib, it is actually nowjere near it. The pain is 'referred'

If you have had a thoracic ultrasound, and the pain is generally unrelated to eating times (gastric or visceral problems) then it is work getting a thoracic MRI to see if there is a neuro-skeletal issue.

I hope this helps, let me know

Dom

• Posted

Dom,

that is my next step is a t/s MRI. Thanks for all the info! I am still having all the same symptoms to this day. So I hope I can get it resolved soon. 

• Posted

Wow i think your going the right direction now.

i have had 2 ribs removed by a thoracic heart doctor at reigons hospital in ramsey county,st . Paul, Minnesota.

2000 and 2001

the pain you feel in coming from your thorax ribs.

and think about it ,these ribs wrap around your body from your spine.

so the front pain under rib feeling is from your ribs, but really your spine.

that is just my opinion.

• Posted

Hi e64335 im 29 and am getting this pain aswel, doubled over and can hardley move, sorry to hear that doctors have given up on you. I suffer with fibromyalgia, arthritis in my sine and sciatica. Im wondering if my pain is related to my fibro but thought id have a quick look online. Its incredible how many people suffer with this you would think that doctors would have worked out by now exactly what its is. If i find out exactly what mine is i shall let you ak
  • Posted

Sorry my 10 month old decided she wanted the ipad. 

As i was saying if i find out i will let you all know and will be following here for any updates. 

Hugs to all and hope you all get better/ sorted soon

UK 

• Posted

I just started having horrible pain just below my left rib csge. I have had this once before and I noticed both times it has occurred when I took Nexium. Have any of you taken Nexium recently? Just curious, as this is exactly how I felt the first time I took it. Other than that I have no idea. 
  • Edited

James,

sorry to hear about your condition but finding this forum gives me hope. My pain started about three months ago with a painful lower left rib. Coinciding with this was a tightness across my upper abdomen. I have had a heart ultrasound, a Ct scan from neck to pelvis, an ultrasound of my abdominal region, and a complete XRay of my spine. All negative. My rib pain is still there although has occasion to be in the mid level range. I have tried physical therapy but the pain seems to worsen. I had my first acupuncture treatment a few days ago to try to see if this is intercostal. I also have tenderness in the area of my sternum. This is getting expensive and depressing. I am a very fit person of 63 with the body of a 40 year old. At my wits end.

Mike

• Posted

Have you looked up the symptoms of costochondritis? I'm dealing with what sounds like the same issues you are. I can't bend over to pick anything up. I've been pretty much on bed rest for about 8 months. The pain is dibilitating. I feel line it's swollen under my rib cage. I feel tearing sometimes when I reach for something. I get burning sensations, it feels like a lil person inside my ribs, trying to dig themselves out. I also have a lump/knot on my xiphoid process. And e the pain is everyday

• Posted

Hi just want to know how you feel now as I’m in the same boat as you at the moment an I have been stuck in bed for the past 4 months and I am I 34 year old male
  • Posted

I too have this discomfort. I thought it had to do with being overweight as it worsens when I eat or am bloated from eating and everything is "pushing" up uneder my rib even more. But  everyone here isn't overweight I see. What's happened with those who tried acupuncture?

• Posted

Just started acupuncture. Too early to tell. New symtoms started yesterday. Feeling lightheaded. Hope this is not related.
    • Posted

Could be because of the pain that you are feelin light headed
  • Posted

I had exactly this type of pain a few years back. I really sympathise.  At the time it was excrutiating and really debilitating - when it was in spasm I couldnt move or do anything without agony and it's impossible to 'take your mind off it' as the doctors seem to advise.  I was literally unable to straighten up.  I am now mostly vegetarian as my partner who I met 3 or 4 years ago doesnt eat meat and I'm not sure if that's related but I no longer get this pain so I presumed it was my digestion in some way.  It was unlike any indigestion pain I'd ever experienced before and was so severe it was very frightening. I had tests back then including one to see if I had appendix problems but nothing came to light.  I remember my doctor commenting that sometimes there appears to be no physical cause for pain, the pain receptors in the brain just 'blow a fuse' (my words not his) which isn't very helpful when you're in such a bad way and need help.  Do give the pain clinic a go though, I have severe arthritis pain due to a major accident some years back and they really helped me to cope with this.
  • Posted

I have been experiencing pain below my left rib that describes something similar to what you have been talking about. Sometimes it's a light pain and sometimes it's intense enough to make me drop what I am doing and sit down. It has been a recurring problem every time that I change my diet from natural foods to synthetic. This last week or two I've come to visit a friend and have only been eating synthetic food (sweets and the common store-bought cheap food). Suffice to say, for these past two weeks the pain has been increasing. I'll have a definite answer in a few days when the effects of the food wear off and I'm back to my old eating habits. I don't know if this is helpful, but maybe take into consideration what you are eating if it isn't natural. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.