I am scared now any advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just been told  by the  doctor my sugar level  is  9.5 and i have to have a fasting test  in  2 weeks  does this mean i have  type  2  diabetis and  will i have to  go on medication The last  blood test  that showed this  was not a fasting test  so  i am not sure  about anything  I am almost  70 years old  but noticed i have lost a lot of weight and my hair is going thin  any advice  would  be grateful thanks

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Barbara.

Do you have any other symptoms indicative of diabetes such as terrible thirst,frequent and copious urination,plus rapid weight loss,blurry eyesight,increasing fatigue etc.

Do you know anyone with a glucose monitor?

Some people can get their levels under control with diet,others need diet and medication.

In the meantime you could cut out sugar in drinks,especially fruit juices and cut down on the carbohydrates.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanls for the reply I dont have a thirst nor  do i urinate more thn  usual  Maybe i should buy a  glucose monitor
    • Posted

There's no maybe!  They are a huge help in determing how you react to certain foods.

Have been using one for two weeks and it has been so useful.

• Posted

Often there are free blood sugar monitor offers at the pharmacy, but if not, you could get one of the generic or store brands at a reasonable price with cheaper test strips. It would be a good idea to test before you eat and two hours after.
  • Posted

Hello Barbara,

I have recently been diagnosed with prediabetes so am working very hard at reducing my blood sugar levels.

I, too, was suspicious of the result as I had not had a fasting blood test.  However, I've subsequently learnt that there are two tests to determine high blood sugar and this one is called HbA1c which is what I suspect you had.

Please don't be scared.  Easier said than done, I know. Go back to your doctor and also research as much on the internet as you can about reducing carbohydrates.  It's quite a learning curve and one which the NHS seems light years behind in adopting.

• Posted

I have another blood  test in 10 days from now  thought it was in  2  weeks  but its in 10 days do i guess a few days for the  results of that i have to  wait for
  • Posted

Hi barbara26695

A fasting test is to indicate the glucose/sugar levels in your blood to determine if medication is needed as well as to determine whether you have type 1 or 2 diabetes. I would not worry at this time.

• Posted

She thinks  its going to  be type  2 i have no idea  why I cant exercise  to help  either  as i  havve COPD so thats not helping at all Its the first time i have had a high sugar level and looing on the internet  9.5  seems  to  be  quite high

• Posted

Hi mark357,

I'm afraid, sir, that your response to barbara26695 is a little misleading.  A fasting blood glucose test will NOT determine whether someone has type 1 or type 2.  It would, if this is the second ir more fasting blood glucose test that's higher than 5.5 mmol/l (millimoles per litre) [that's 126 mg/dL (milligrams per deciLiter) for our American members] indicate that someone is diabetic, but further testing would need to be carried out to determine which type of diabetes it is.  (C-peptide and/or GABA (Glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies) are the two most likely to be used.)

As far as I'm aware, no-one of barbara26695's age, anywhere in the World has been diagnosed as suffering with type 1 diabetes, so she would, in all likelihood, be diagnosed as prediabetic or type 2 diabetic.

• Posted

Hi micksmixxx

In the eventually of someone becoming a diabetic further tests will be done to determine what type of diabetes the person has. Now they also do other test that is related to diabetes so that they have somewhere to start regarding any kind of medication it required. I can see what you are saying regarding if anyone is type 1 or 2 on a single blood test as that is impossible. Each time they take my bloods, they still check my cholesterol levels as well to see if there are any changes.

• Posted

Hi micksmixxx

In the eventually of someone becoming a diabetic further tests will be done to determine what type of diabetes the person has. Now they also do other test that is related to diabetes so that they have somewhere to start regarding any kind of medication it required. I can see what you are saying regarding if anyone is type 1 or 2 on a single blood test as that is impossible. Each time they take my bloods, they still check my cholesterol levels as well to see if there are any changes.

• Posted

Exercise can help barbara26695. 9.5 is high and depending on what the doctor see's in the results, will again depend upon the course of action your GP will take.
    • Posted

Hi micksmixxx

• Posted

Hi,Although it's unusual,I believe that Teresa May the British Home Secretary was recently diagnosed as type 1 diabetic.
    • Posted

Hi blodwyn,

So sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your post, but I haven't been well for a while.

Yes, Theresa May HAS been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic.  She was 57 years of age when diagnosed.  At this age it is usually referred to as LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) ... which used to be sometimes referred to as type 1.5.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.