I am scared now any advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just been told  by the  doctor my sugar level  is  9.5 and i have to have a fasting test  in  2 weeks  does this mean i have  type  2  diabetis and  will i have to  go on medication The last  blood test  that showed this  was not a fasting test  so  i am not sure  about anything  I am almost  70 years old  but noticed i have lost a lot of weight and my hair is going thin  any advice  would  be grateful thanks

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

An A1c of 9.5 is high and probably indicates you have diabetes. The A1c test tells you what your blood sugar was over the past three months. An A1c of 9.5 means your blood sugar was an average of 226 mg/dl (US) or 12.6/mmol. You will probably have to go on medication, but not necessarily. There are also several pills available before you go on insulin. Some help your body produce insulin and others slow the rate at which carbs are released into your system.

Since you have to wait two weeks for your fastiing test, you could cut back on carbs. It's the total carbs that count, not just sugars. You might be able to control it with diet alone, if you have been eating a lot of carbs, like more than 20g per meal. Start looking at the nutrition content of the foods you eat, and you will be surprised at how many foods are 40, 60, or more carbs per serving! Most bread and pasta is super high in carbs, but the low carb bread has fiber and low net carbs and some pastas are a better choice than others. You do  need to have fiber in your diet, but soluble fiber has a lot of carbs and non soluble fiber passes through your body without adding carbs ("in a nutshell"). Also, when something is exceptionally high in fibers, you can usually deduct some of the carbs for a certain percentage of the fibers.

Of course, try to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, but remember that veggies like corn and white potatoes are high in carbs and are best avoided or limited. Green beans, broccoli, asparagus, and sweet potatoes are better choices.

Fruits have nutritional value, but have natural sugars, which are carbs. Some fruits release their sugars into the body at a lower rate than others. This is called the glycemic index. For example, blueberries are good. Watermelon is bad.

I just read new research that said diabetics who ate 6 eggs a week did not have their cholesterol go up and felt fuller and lost weight. Eggs have no carbs. Milk has carbs but there is a low carb milk available  if you can find it where you live, and I think it tastes good. Check the carbs on whole wheat products-they usually add more sugar which raises the total carbs of the product.

Have you had a thorough dilated eye exam by an opthamologist? Did you have lab tests to detect protein in your urine and how well your kidneys are doing? Do you feel any numbness in your toes? Do you have high blood pressure? Blood pressure pills have a protective effect on the kidneys and are often prescribed to diabetics for that purpose alone. Do  you feel tired?

• Posted

I  have had a normal  eye test for  new glasses  2 months  ago  Doctor has done no  other tests at the moment apart from a  full  blood test i dont have high  blood pressure  my toes feel  fine  yes i feel tired a lot but that i think  maybe due  to my lung condition
    • Posted

Hi, fancygoldfish,

If barbara26695 had had an A1c test, 9.5% is DEFINITELY diabetes.  (A HbA1c level of anything above 6.5% is sufficient for a doctor to diagnose diabetes.)

I'm not sure where you obtained your figures from, my friend, but an A1c level of 9.5% indicates that the 'average' blood glucose level is equivalent to 14.5 mmol/l [261 mg/dL for our American members].

I agree with MOST of the other information that you offer barbara26695, though it's extremely unlikely that she would have been seen by an ophthalmologist yet as she hasn't yet been diagnosed as diabetic.

Be well, fancygoldfish.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended or alarmed at the "x's".  It's simply a logo, of sorts, that I've used for some 30-odd years now.

• Posted

Hi, fancygoldfish,

If barbara26695 had had an A1c test, 9.5% is DEFINITELY diabetes.  (A HbA1c level of anything above 6.5% is sufficient for a doctor to diagnose diabetes.)

I'm not sure where you obtained your figures from, my friend, but an A1c level of 9.5% indicates that the 'average' blood glucose level is equivalent to 14.5 mmol/l [261 mg/dL for our American members].

I agree with MOST of the other information that you offer barbara26695, though it's extremely unlikely that she would have been seen by an ophthalmologist yet as she hasn't yet been diagnosed as diabetic.

Be well, fancygoldfish.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended or alarmed at the "x's".  It's simply a logo, of sorts, that I've used for some 30-odd years now.

• Posted

Hi, fancygoldfish,

Be well, fancygoldfish.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

Mick,

Yes, I agree with you, but as I am not a doctor, I didn't want to make any diagnosis, so I softened it with "probably".  I used an online conversion tool to plug in the numbers and that's what I got. smile

• Posted

Hi, fancygoldfish,

I apologise to you ... and to anyone else ... if it came across that I'm a doctor.  I am NOT.  I'm simply a type 1 diabetic that's learned a few things over the years.  It WOULD, in fact, take a practising medical doctor to be the one that does make a diagnosis, though there are many people that could tell you if your blood glucose levels were higher than they should be.

I apologise to you especially, and most profusely, as it MAY have seemed that I was 'having a go' at you.  That, honestly, was never my intention.

Be well, fancygoldfish.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

I truly am glad about that, fancygoldfish.  I don't wish to appear negative towards anyone ...at least not here.  I simply wish to pass on what information I have gathered over the years.

Be well, fancygoldfish.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

Apologies for the earlier post that's appeared three times.  When I clicked on it to post it kept saying that there'd been an internal error, so I simply refreshed the page and then pressed to send it again.
  • Posted

Hi, barbara26695,

The reason your doctor is requesting you to undergo a fasting blood glucose (sugar) test is so that s/he can determine whether you're actually glucose intolerant or type 2 diabetic.  (Glucose intolerance is a prelude to the onset of type 2 diabetes, but MAY be able to 'defer' or put off the development of full blown type 2.)

You say that you've "lost a lot of weight", but you don't say over how long a period it's been, nor do you say whether you are one of our larger ladies or not.

It MAY be that your doctor feels that you can control your blood sugar (glucose) levels by moderating your diet and taking exercise, if you are able to.  S/he MAY suggest this as the first course of action to see whether your blood sugar levels do actually improve.  If dietary control and exercise doesn't work, or doesn't work enough, s/he MAY suggest oral medications.  (There are different types of oral medications, and some of them work in very different ways.)

When I speak of exercise, no-one is going to suggest you get a gym membership or anything like that.  Walking is a very effective exercise, but we don't know whether that's an option that's available for you.

Please don't be scared, my friend, there really isn't much to worry about.  In fact, if you have developed diabetes it's better to find out sooner rather than later.  This way, steps can be taken to ensure that you don't go on to develop diabetic complications.  I won't go into details about the sorts of complications that can affect someone who's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be except to say that some can be a real pain ... literally; some can prove embarrassing; and some COULD prove lethal, though this latter one is extremely rarely met with these days.

I wish you the very best of luck in two weeks time.  Please don't go 'out of your way' to try and affect the results.  It really is better, if you do have diabetes, to find out now and start treatment.

Be well, barbara26695.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

I have never  been overweight  i am normally about 7stone 9 lbs but in the last month i seen to have lost  weight i now weigh 7 stone

I can do some walking  providing  its on a  flat surface and not a hill as  with my lung  condition i cant  manage to  walk  uphill

I was  wondering  if anyone could tell me  what fruit  i could  eat and  what  fruit would be bad for me thank you all for your replies it help to  talk to others  about this

• Posted

Barbara, you need to buy that monitor!  Everyone reacts so differently to fruit and veg.

I was shocked that more than half an apple had such an effect, so get testing.

• Posted

Recommend the SD Codefree from Amazon.  Testing before and after every meal you'll be getting through a lot of strips/lancets and this meter is fairly economical.
    • Posted

MediTouch Gloucose Monitor Starter Kit i just  ordered  that one from  amazon  is it any good  pleae
    • Posted

I'm sure it is fine.  The one I mentioned previouslybwas recommended by a diabetes website as being economical as far as buying strips etc. goes.

I found with my starter kit they only provided ten or so strips/lancets and so I was ordering more supplies almost immediately. At six tests minimum per day, you certainly get through them!

As I am prediabetic, I don't get a meter supplied by the NHS.  Perhaps someone can advise whether meters are issued as a matter of course to Type 2 diabetics or whether NHS cutbacks have taken their toll?

• Posted

I dont think the  NHS supply  them  i have a  friend  with diabetis and  she had  to  buy her  own  Now ineed toknow do i take  the test  before i eat and thenhow long  after sorry to ask so many  questions  but  i  have never done  this  before thanks
    • Posted

Ask away.  I'll try and help as much as possible, but I am only three weeks into this myself!

The advice is to test just before eating and then 2 hours after the first mouthful.  There is a certain diabetes website based in the UK that is stuffed full of information and people who are so knowledgeable.  Can't put the name of it on here as, for some reason, they won't publish it.  The website has a red heading banner.  Find it if you can.  They have helped me tremendously.

• Posted

The thing with fruit ... and every other type of food, barbara26695, is that you need to count the carbohydrate content of it.  As an example:

1 x medium apple (100 grams in weight) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

3 x raw apricots (120 grams in weight) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

4 x semi dried apricots (32 grams in weight) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x medium sized banana (100 grams in weight, without the skin) would contain approximately 25 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x large sized banana (120 grams in weight, without the skin) would contain approximately 30 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x clementine (60 grams in weight) would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x 10 grams in weight Halawi date would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x 21 grams in weight Medjool date would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x average portion (115 grams) of fruit cocktail in juice would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x average portion (115 grams) of fruit cocktail in syrup would contain approximately 20 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x small bunch of grapes (100 grams) would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x Kiwi fruit (60 grams in weight) would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x slice mango (40 grams in weight) would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x medium mango (150 grams, without the stone and peel) would contain approximately 20 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x slice melon, honeydew or watermelon (200 grams in weight) would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x nectarine (90 grams in weight, without the stone) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x medium orange (160 grams in weight, without the skin) would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x medium peach (110 grams in weight, without the stone) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x large pear (250 grams in weight) would contain approximately 25 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x medium pear (150 grams in weight) would contain approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x large slice raw pineapple (80 grams in weight, without the skin) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

1 x slice (6 chunks) tinned pineapple (40 grams in weight) would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

2 x medium plums (110 grams in weight, without stones) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

30 x raspberries (120 grams in weight) would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

2 x medium satsumas (140 grams in weight) would contain approximately 10 grams of carbohydrate.

5 x medium strawberries (60 grams in weight) would contain approximately 5 grams of carbohydrate.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question, but it took me a while to find the booklet that was issued to me with regards to carbohydrate contents.

Hopefully, there's some fruits in the list that you like.  If you need a website that contains more information, please send me a message, by either posting here, or by clicking on my name and sending me a personal message and I'll give you a few.  (Sorry, but I'm not sure whether they'll allow the posting of websites on here.)

As for walking, you should really check with your doctor as to what amount of exercise you should be doing.  I'd hate to be the one to give you information that might cause you any harm.

Be well, barbara26695.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

Oops!  Sorry, barbara26695, I forgot to mention that you should really wait until your doctor gives you a diagnosis.  S/he will PROBABLY offer you advice on what regimen you should be following ... how many carbohydrates you should be imbibing ... either eating or drinking ... per day, how it should be broken down, the types of exercise which may be suitable for you.

Be well, barbara26695.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

• Posted

Hi,I live in Wales and was given a monitor straight away by my Diabetic nurse and get my lancets and strips on prescription monthly, and so do both of my sisters who were diagnosed before me.I was diagnosed in February this year. 
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,You've now got 41 replies and must be quite confused.

I suggest you go onto the Diabetes UK website and see your GP as soon as possible.

• Posted

Yes you are right  its all very confusing but i do appreciate all the replies i have had  it  helps to  talk to others about this
    • Posted

From what I read about the appalling state of the NHS in Wales you were fortunate in getting the monitor !! Unless you are Type1 which is a different disease to T2.
    • Posted

Don't believe everything you hear or read about.After all we've had free prescriptions for some years now.And I'm type 2.
    • Posted

You are so right, blodwyn, particularly with all of the conflicting advice being offered, it must be very confusing for barbara26695.  Luckily, she has just found out that she is NOT diabetic after all.  Wonderful news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.