I am scared now any advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just been told  by the  doctor my sugar level  is  9.5 and i have to have a fasting test  in  2 weeks  does this mean i have  type  2  diabetis and  will i have to  go on medication The last  blood test  that showed this  was not a fasting test  so  i am not sure  about anything  I am almost  70 years old  but noticed i have lost a lot of weight and my hair is going thin  any advice  would  be grateful thanks

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is not conclusive prooof that you are type 2 Diabetic...but most likely it seems you are from now on type 2.

If for example you had a sugary intake before the test was carried out it could have spiked your sugar level and given you a reading of 9.5. The fasting test will confirm the sitiaution for you.

You can do many things to reduce your sugar levels in the meantime. I would postpone the fasting test a bit and give you the chance to make changes which would reduce your sugar levels.

To start with stop eating All sugars and in all forms...and also cut carbohydrate from your diet as well.

Get a sugar testing meter and check your levels before a meal and two hours after taking note of what you have eaten and this will give you an idea which foods are spiking your sugar and you will quickly learn what's good for you and what isn't.

There are no short cuts to this or miracle cures...

Any help do write again and I will try to help you...

• Posted

Thanks

The fasting  test is on the 10th of next month Just before the last test i had weetabix with whole milk  for  breakfast that would have been about 4 hours  before the  actual  test

I dont  eat a lot of sweet things only now and again so will try to  research and  cut  down  on  carbs as you suggest

• Posted

Morning Barbara,

One Weetabix with 100 ml whole milk is approx. 19 carbs.  For some this is fine, for others not.  Hence, test and test again!

Only starting on this road myself, but if I can help, I will.

• Posted

Weetabix like most cereals are high in Carbs...Look at the side of the package and it will tell you it's 65% carbs...so not good for sugar levels...but like i said before you can only find out what suits you by testing before eating a particular food and then see how it impacts on your sugar levels.

Foods that are good for you include eggs cooked any style...and items in a full english breakfast are also good...excluding toast...I find apples are great as a snack to keep me going...I cannot eat rice potatoes or wheat without getting a huge spike so I try and avoid them...grapes, bananas and pineapple also spike my sugar

There is also a lowcarbdiet website i mentioned in another post ...look that up as well

• Posted

Hi Blodwyn, Frolm all I read about the appalling state of the NHS in Wales you were fortunate to get the monitor off them.  Unless of course you are a T1. As I understand T2s don't get them automatically.
    • Posted

I am in South Wales  also so wil have to check with the  doctor to see if i can get anything  for  the testing Poblem is  i have gogled until  my eyes boggle so much info out there maybe  i should  not  cut down on anything  until the  fasting test so then at  least it  will  be a corret reading
    • Posted

Absolutely right.  You need a precise BG to know how to treat it.

Stop Googling and enjoy your Sunday afternoon!

• Posted

Please don't buy a blood sugar monitor yet, wait until you have had your Fasting Glucose Tolerence Test done and had the results. By buying the monitor now, you will drive yourself mad checking your blood sugar all the time. 

Was your first blood sugar taken as a fasting test or had you been allowed to eat prior to the test. I only ask this as if this test was a fasting blood then you have had a normal blood sugar taken. If you had been allowed to eat then the blood taken was for a Hba1c this shows your blood sugars over a period of approximately 12weeks and is a more accurate test than a fasting bloo.

it takes approximately 1week for the results of a Glucose Tolerence test, once you have your diagnosis your doctor should then decide on the best way to treat your diagnosi. In the meantime no matter what you do at the moment will not effect your diagnosis, so carry on as normal which is what I was told prior to my diagnosis many years ago. Good luck and please stay of any other web sites than this one, you can get all the support you need from fellow sufferers. 

Don't be scared, many of the problems associated with diabetes only happen if the diabetic does not take the advise of their doctor or diabetic nurse.

• Posted

I had  breakfast before the last test the next test is a fasting one

I have bought the glucose monitor  but as you suggested i could  getupset at the  results all the time  so  maybe i should not use   it until i get he test  results thank you for the  advice your  right  i think  it would stress me out reading it  all the time

• Posted

Hi Barbara, I'm glad you agree with me, it's going to be hard for you to stop yourself from using the machine, but believe me it's for the best, I never got my own blood sugar monitor or told of my possible diagnosis until I was absolutely sure.

then after my appointments with the dietician and nurse I set to sorting myself out, with the agreement of my GP I joined a drug trial for diabetics  which went on for 3years. Unfortunately I ended up being medicated.

I'm quite an optimistic person and tend to see things in a positive light, I have control of my diabeties it doesn't control me, that's how I see it. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks  like you i will try to  stay positive  until  i know for sure whats going  on
  • Posted

Hi barbara26695,

I have to disagree with those who say you should not test your sugar levels before the doctors confirm that you are type2.

Going by what we know so far its probable that you are type 2 or pre diabetic.If the results are negative thats great but I doubt that will be the case.

The reasons to start testing is to get you informed of what foods suit you and what don't specially which foods are spiking your sugars.

The nhs is way behind with their methods in dealing with type 2 specially with thir reccomendation of foods to eat ...which is one third of foods to have carbs...This is wrong in my experience as carbs will raise your sugar levels.

Your doctor will want to put you on medication asap which again could be avoided if you pre p[lan it from now and bring your sugars down by reducing carb intake and making changes to your diet.

I also disagree with the suggestion that you should not check other websites and stick to this one exclusively.

Every bit of information can be useful and only you can filter out what suits you and what works best for you...

• Posted

I am  so confused  now i dont knowif i should  test my sugar or not all i know is the whole  thing  scares me a lot
    • Posted

I would get a meter and  check all yhour carbs. It's only by having a meter you know what gives you a spike. As Milo says, the NHS guidelines for diabetics and prediabetics are antiquated. I often wonder whether the diabetes T2 epidemic is in part due to the appalling dietary advice handed out by the NHS.
  • Posted

I'm sorry Barbara but I now think everyone's comments are going to confuse you and maybe scare you. It is up to you to decide what is best for you.  Keep strong and take care.

• Posted

thank you i do appreciate all  comments  but i am so confused by all of this now i dont know if i should test  my glucose  or just wait until i get the  fastin  tet  resutls  all i know  is this  is  scaring  me   a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.