Impetigo is back!! help please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

I had impetigo about a 8 weeks ago and thought it had gone away for good (also had a very mild dose of it a month previous) but it is back. sad

This is making me really depressed and self conscious, I know it's cosmetic but I don't want to leave the house. I feel disgusting!!

I'm a clean person. I'm 21yr old student living in england and I don't understand it.

I went to the doctors earlier today and he was pretty useless. As I was self conscious I put makeup on my face (as I wouldn't have left the house otherwise) and he had a go at me. He looked at the marks on my body and said it's insect or animal bites.

But as the day has gone on it's got worse and has spread to my chest, arm and neck and scalp :cry:

I think it must be impetigo, it really itches and I feel ugly. He's given me Flucloxacillin antibiotics. I had these last time but it the impetigo was not as bad. Will these work and how long will it take to heal

PLEASE HELP

thankyou x

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had impetigo now for the 4th time. I am going on Monday to have swabs done as they think it could be resistant to the antibiotics. I feel horrid when I get it and have tried everything from localised creams, nasal cream and bleach baths. persist with your Dr and describe how horrid you feel. Try the anibiotics, they usually work after 5 days or so, the blisters/scabs will start to dry up. I was clear of them after antibiotics but then they came back. that might not happen to you but if it does just keep going back to the Dr's. Remember you aren't alone.
  • Posted

I feel your pain. I really do. I have had impetigo since 2002 from a kid that came into work covered in it... Impetigo comes and goes, and it becomes a part of life to be honest. I hate it.

I've also tried everything, demos, creams, liquids, tablets, you name it. Nothing works. Dermotologists have no idea, especially when mine is so fast spreading at times.

Tea tree oil seems to help on occassion, but it does tend to leave scar tissue behind. And it stings badly too. sad

The one thing I have to say about this condition is do [u:d63534c30d]NOT[/u:d63534c30d] stress out!, it only makes things worse!!!. :!:

Don't despair however, I have friends that got it once and never saw it again. I hope you are one of those people.

Good Luck

Kind Reagrds,

• Posted

Emma09,

Impetigo has to be treated internally and externally at the same time with antibiotics and antibiotic cream to get rid of it once and for all. My daughter had it for a long time until I took an article to her doctor telling him how it should be treated. It worked, now 20 years later she never had a recurrance. You can get this virus from swimming pools, locker rooms etc.

• Posted

Hi,

What was this article? So it stated that tableta and creams must be used at the same time. Was this a prolonged course also?

• Posted

This sounds ridiculous but the bacteria can live in your nose and if you pick  or scratch your nose or its runny and some gets wiped on your hand or fingers or you reuse a tissue then you can  unwittingly spread to your face. I know because my impetigo reaccured for years and was particularly bad in the spring when I get seasonal allergies and the runny nose..Now I have super hand hypgiene keeping a bottle of bacterial hand gel in my pocket and a ready supply of tissues which get thrown away after single use.This has stopped it reaccuring
    • Posted

Hi, 

Did you get it in various places around your face or just under the nose? What you are saying is very true, but it can be difficult to completely remove an established colony. I have some up my nose and they have tried treatments like Naseptin and Mupirocin a few times. I will try your trick with the hand gel and tissues though. My skin is dry and my only concern is that those gels will make that worse. 

• Posted

I only get it on my face  but discovered it was coming from the nose and being spread by my touching my face as you are always touching your face without realising ! I have dry skin too so you can moisturise first then put on the hand gel . Hope that helps. 
    • Posted

Oh and scribbing your nails as often as you can ..sounds neurotic but impetigo is so virrulent. and ladiesyou have to also change youre make up brushes
    • Posted

New here and I can identify with your case.  I'm 62, never had impetigo, suspect I got it after yard work in the late fall using no gloves, handling dirty soil, raking leaves, who knows?  I believe I had a cold/allergy already, nose running, constantly using a hankerchief instead of clean kleenex, got an especially sore nose then broke out with an itchy rash in and outside of nose, spread to mouth.  Had gone to doctor, saw the R.N. there, who said there was nothing to culture, therefore would give me nothing.  Ended up at a dermatologist, who cultured and found staph, prescribed mupirocin and 2.5% hydrocortisone.  Have used both creams for the time I was told to but still not completely cleared, and they sting.  No more crusting sores but flaking and redness around my lips that won't go away, still itching, looks goofy, can't wear lipstick, lol, so will do a follow-up at the doc's tomorrow.  Anyway, will get the gel and keep tons of clean kleenex in my purse, I guess.  Would hate to think this crap can occur more often, it's been a slight nightmare.  Thanks for the advice. 

• Posted

I'm back again.  The nose has been mostly clear other than slight running and soreness last week.  I did return to the dermatologist 2/13/17, as this redness and itching around my mouth never seems to heal completely.  I play with the 2.5% hydrocortisone cream I was given the first time and dot it sparingly if the itching is intense.  On the second visit, I expected to be given maybe a pill type antibiotic, but no go.  They looked at me, told me I truly just seemed very chapped and gave me samples of Aquaphor (which I already had at home), very similar to petroleum jelly.  I truly don't seem to have actual honey colored crusting anymore but just crazy itching sometimes and peeling.  Things will be fine for a few days, then I'll wake up at night and feel itchy.  My mouth truly has not looked right to me since this whole mess began back before January.  I won't return to this dermatologist because of the cost and now this frustration of not being taken seriously.  I'm being clean as possible, threw out all lipsticks, chapsticks, replaced jars of Vicks Vaporub and petroleum jelly, new toothbrush and toothpaste, just using clean fingers to apply bits of the Aquaphor (or the generic form I found), using mild liquid cleanser more often.  Maybe when winter is over this will clear (?)  I cover my face if it's windy or cold out now.  Will see the family doc in May for a routine appointment for blood pressure and definitely complain it if things don't clear completely.  Just SO frustrating. 

• Posted

My daughter has dealt with impetigo since she was a baby and she's 9 years old now. The doctor always prescribes the same antibiotic cream(never a pill) and after a few days it starts to go away. She gets it on her chin or cheek and she always knows before it's visable that coming so we get into the doc asap. I was told by her doctor that impetigo is strep. Just like strep throat but this shows on the skin. He said that stress and colds can trigger it because it lays dormat in the system until something aggravates it. She hates the way it looks and she is easily embarsssed by it even though it doesn't get out of control and spread. I can find the name of the cream he prescribes if you would like to know more and talk to your doctor about it. 
    • Posted

Hi, 

Impetigo is usually caused by staph or strep. It depends on whether it is the bullous or non-bullous type. Problem with GPs is that is all they will do - reach for the antibiotic cream or tablets. We need solutions that will help to stop it once and for all or significantly reduce the frequency. 

Veronica's suggestions are definitely sensible, especially if you do carry the bacteria up your nose. That may not be the case for everyone but washing hands regularly, consciously avoiding face touching and using a hand gel may be useful. I am giving it a go and have also started adding a cap of dettol into the washing. 

We will see what happens. Good luck everyone smile

• Posted

i felll the same i have it right now i wish it will go away but it wont bye the way im ten i had tis at 2 months old i need help but ........................ it wont sorry tho
  • Posted

It will go eventually, do not worry. Get them to check if you are carrying bacteria up your nose and ensure you wash your hands and face a couple of times a day. Wash all your clothes with dettol in the water. 
  • Posted

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had recurring impetigo for 1.5 years (I think a total of 4-5 times during that period) and it was so awful. Literally sometimes I thought I wanted to kill myself so I UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATIONS. Multiple rounds of powerful antibiotics (oral AND topical) could not phase this resistant little ------. My doctor ended up diagnosing me with seborrhea, which would turn into impetigo. On the final round of antibiotics during that time, I started to look up "natural and holistic ways to cure recurring impetigo". After probably hours searching through feeds, I saw grapefruit seed extract and went straight to the health food store (btw, I had tried olive leaf extract, garlic, colloidal silver). It's been almost four months and I have no signs of it returning. There were a few times about a month after taking GFSE orally (3x days) that I felt a certain "itch" start up--- I knew when it was coming ALWAYS (btw was tested for HSV I & II and both were negative), and so I knew the familiar itching. When I felt it, I applied the concentrated GFSE to my actual edge of my lip where it always started. I also changed my diet to mostly plant-based (vegan). Recently I had a check up and my doctor was delighted that I wasn't having outbreaks anymore, which I'm pretty sure he assumed was because of what he was doing (i.e. Prescribing antibiotics) instead of what I told him I had changed in my lifestyle. He ended up diagnosing me with seborrhea (look it up if you want), but I knew this was just a BS diagnosis to make him and me to "feel better", or whatever. He sent me off with a prescription for a steroid, though and told me to apply it 2x a day, BUT only for 1 week at a time because it may thin my skin permenantly..... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I just told you I'm pretty sure I cured my ailment with grapefruit seed extract and you want me to what?!! That prescription has been filled but is not in use. Anyway, recurring impetigo SUCKS! Hopefully my experience helps you! I've also heard medical honey works extremely well! Try to maintain a vegan diet as well, I believe that has helped a lot. Keep fighting the good fight!

What I recommend:

Grapefruit seed extract 3x/day

Grapefruit seed extract concentrated liquid on actual sores while they're red/crusty yellow/healing... I also recommend it whenever there's an "itch or tingle".

Also, maybe mixing into motion for everyday/other day/weekly use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.