Lugol's Iodine and cysts, fibroids and cancer prevention

Posted , 9 users are following.

It seems that 2 drops a day will make a huge difference. I'm now starting this supplment. Any views on it? Experiences?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Never heard of it. Can you give more details?
    • Posted

Hi Bobby. According to a number of Integative Medicine Doctors, including Dr. Flechas: "Research work has shown that iodine deficiency in the thyroid presents as a thyroid goiter (enlargement of the thyroid). In those areas of the world where iodine deficiency is very high, such as in Switzerland and in certain areas of Asia and Africa, there are also higher incidents of thyroid cancer. Iodine is also concentrated by breast tissue, and a lack of iodine in the breasts manifests asfibrocystic breast disease (painful breasts with nodules and cysts and often more symptomatic prior to menstrual periods). 93% of American women have fibrocystic breast disease and the longer this disease exists, the higher the potential risk for development of breast cancer. 20% of all iodine in the human body is stored in the skin, specifically in the sweat glands. Lack of iodine in the sweat glands manifests as dry skin with a decreased ability to sweat. Iodine can also be concentrated in the stomach tissue, and the lack of iodine in the stomach manifests as achlorhydria (lack of digestive acid production). Iodine is used by the stomach cells, also known as parietal cells, to concentrate chloride which is necessary to produce hydrochloric acid (digestive acid). With the prolonged presence of achlorhydria, there is a much higher incidence of stomach cancer. Iodine is concentrated in the lacrymal glands of the eye, and a lack of iodine can cause dry eyes. Iodine can also be concentrated in the parotid and submandibular glands of the mouth, and iodine deficiency here can result in dry mouth. Iodine can be concentrated in the ovaries, and Russian studies done some years ago showed a relationship between iodine deficiency and the presence of cysts in the ovaries. The greater the iodine deficiency, the more ovarian cysts a woman produces. In its extreme form, this condition is known as polycystic ovarian disease." 

I'll send you a couple of links if you like. 

• Posted

Thanks, I knew about Iodine, but not about it's link with polycystic ovaries. My OH's daughter has all the symptoms of that but says the doc. says no. We think she is too afraid to get herself checked out! She's 34 this year, what can you do? She's an adult.

What is 'Lugol's' Iodine? Can it be used if you have no thyroid problems?

• Posted

It's OK I've seen the link. I'll have a look at that.
    • Posted

Lugol's iodine or Lugol's solution, was “invented” by French doctor Dr. Lugol in 1829 and it’s a compound  of elemental iodine and potassium iodide  in water.

It’s maximum potency of iodine is 5%. Before any “hard core” pharmaceuticals exited it was used to treat many conditions as, I believe, is mentioned in the link videos I’ve sent you. Much milder that standard iodine it’s considered to have numerous anti-cancer properties by integrative and naturopathic medicine practitioners.  It’s also recommended for FibroM and since I am a patient I am also having it from now on to help the condition.  So Lugol’s considered an effective, safe, very, very cheap “natural” remedy or supplement if you prefer.  I don’t know if I answered you question…wink

• Posted

You OH's daughter could have some Vitex-Agnus Castus on a regular basis....

• Posted

Hi just caught this post about iodine.

My 25 yr old daughter has been suffering with two ovarian cysts in past 1 1/2, plus was diagnosed with overactive thyroid at almost same time

She's had two ops, to remove them, and tomorrow we are going to consultant for check up. She still has pain from ovary so we hope she's clear this time!

I'm finding most gp's are so narrow minded to alternative or natural remedies but could this very basic deficiency be causing her all these health problems. She so young to be suffering continual ailments.

Any views? J

• Posted

Sorry I didn't answer this: yes Lugol's can be used if don't have any thyroid problems at all. It can be (and actually should only be ) used as prevention for the conditions mentioned in the videos. 
    • Posted

When I was young(er) cheesygrin I had PCOS. Did lots of treatments with loads of crp: Proveras, Diane's, you name it.... It was a nightmare". Then I started using 2 things: Evening Primrose (took it for over 10 years, 1000mg/day) and Vitex for months in a row and stop and again. The OCs vanished. Then my ObGyn  was gobsmacked and asked what I'd done. I told him. he said: "Oh, right yes that's right, phytoestrogens are excelent!"  So, I never returned there.  Forget about the GPs narrow mindedness... We are our care takers... they are ther just to help us on the job.

Your daugther can give a go at phytos, don't you think so? At least for some 6 months...

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for reply but i don't understand some of the abbreviations you use or terms...I'm all new to this!

If you have time, could you make it simpler for me...Thanks J

• Posted

Hi. 

PCOS - Polycystic ovary syndrome

crp- Crapbiggrin !

OCs - Ovaries Cysts

ObGyn- Obstetrician and gynecologist

• Posted

Thank you Teresa

We'll ask consultant about iodine in her diet and maybe kelp supplements.

She's a very healthy eater.  Lots of fish and veggies but...?

• Posted

The consultant will tell you that iodine is bad for the thyroid and has nothing to do with ovaries cysts....rolleyes
  • Posted

To calculate the amount of iodine and iodide mgs  in Lugol's Solutions' drops I found jcrow's site with the following guidelines: 

"Calculating Number of MG's of Iodine and Potassium Iodide per Drop of Lugol's Solution: 

LUGOL'S 5%: Each VERTICAL drop is about 6.25 mg's of iodine/potassium iodide (2.5 mg iodine, 3.75 mg potassium iodide) and 2 drops is about 12.50 mg's of iodine/potassium iodide (5.0 mg iodine, 7.50 mg potassium iodide)."

So, as preventive medicine I believe 2 drops/day should be enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.