Memory finally failed me on taking my pred. In the evening yesterday my water was still in the cup a

Posted , 10 users are following.

and my tablets were still in the med box for that day. Too late to take them so I prepared for possible effects. I'm currently fighting OA in knees and hips with something else in thighs that could be my PMR. At any rate I'm forcing myself onto the tennis court for an hour at a time to keep from being permanently in the recliner. It is now the following day and nothing strange in  the way of general PMR symptoms have evolved. I'm just at the beginning of 4.0mg dosage having stayed at 4.5 for about two months. Although I have tried to blame dosage reduction on many of my pains, I cannot be certain because of the other issues such as OA. I am almost 86 and have been fighting PMR for about 30 months. So I am posting this to ask if I should have expected anything unusual in the way of pain etc. or is there a delay involved. Or is it an indicator that I am out of the woods as far as PMR is concerned.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well I have to admit that off and on I forget and come home and see those pills next to my coffee cup!  Then it will make sense to me why I was in so much pain or so exhausted at work that day.  I took them when I got home but i paid for it for few days after with aches and niggling pain.  It is so incredibly stressful at work that I have to have the pred so I keep trying not to forget.  Sheesh.  Told my hubby that if he sees those pills on the table to call me immediately so I can take some from my back-up stash i keep in my purse since I am so forgetful!  Good luck.
    • Posted

Would you say then that your body had a delayed reaction by a few days?
    • Posted

So probably about noon (I take mine at 7am, I start to notice some pain.  By late afternoon, mostly tiredness (way more than normal) and more achyness (sp?) and tightness in my muscles.  However, by 8pm, I get home and then take it, I usually sleep pretty well as I still take my night time dose of Rayos (I split my doses half at night at 10pm, half in the morning).  So it is just minor, nothing major.  The next few days I was a bit sore, tight, a bit more pain than usual but nothing too bad.  So that is usually what has happened to me.  By four days later I'm back to normal.  But who knows, I am under so much stress at work it could just have been from that.  (I teach at a poor, high poverty, Title I elementary school, a rough job).

• Posted

First, I hope you get the appreciation you deserve as an educator.

As to the pred dose, at least I know there is some reaction under some conditions.

• Posted

I really don't know if you would experience any delay in increased pain due to not taking your med for PMR. I don't give mine a chance as I have been instructed to take my med immediately in the AM before I do anything else. Also told to eat a bit of something as the pills are hard to swallow (never chew that pill) given the size and leave a horrible after taste otherwise. Muscles pain is PMR, never a OA issue so I have been told.

Good luck.

• Posted

Morning Paul.

We are all different.  I have often forgotten a tablet or two, usually with no real increase in pain, I just return to normal dose asap (at present on 5/6mg after 5 years).

I also have poly arthritis and the idea of "forcing" myself to do ANY excercise is horrifying.  Force is ridiculous!  Can't you find a gentler excercise?  I'm a 'young' 😏 77 year old, but a gentle walk does wonders for me.

• Posted

I like your approach. I hate to give up tennis with my mates. It has kept me alive.
  • Posted

1  Stop forcing yourself onto the tennis court.

Gentle exercise - and not sitting down for more than 1 hour at a time.

2   Buy Flexiseq, developed by ARC (research) and use it.  Worth every penny, and if I did not use it I would not be typing this message.

3  You cannot fight PMR - it bites back harder.  Accept it and take a look at PMR GCA Northeast website and read up on the stories, the exercises and perhaps take a look at the shop and the booklet 'Living with PMR and GCA', written by patients for patients and medically checked out, not jargon and three pages of tips and tricks.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

• Posted

Hi Paul I have PMR and GCA , I'm down from 80mg to 6mg, but have noticed pains have returned in my thighs I last 8 weeks,

Don't know weather it was when I dropped from 6.5mg. It hard to keep tabs

But I missed a dose forgot to take them and was waiting for something to happen that was 3 weeks ago, but nothing, the pains in my thighs were there before that,

So dont understand it?

Wish you all the best😄

• Posted

Haha Paul.  I decided a few years ago that life was all about the struggle.  Once you'd figured it out, the game was over....

When I read your post yesterday my first thought was the likely answer to all your questions was "probably not"  wink

• Posted

Hi Paul if your still playing tennis you have a good any years ahead, I did play years ago but wouldn't have energy now 😳😄

• Posted

Right knee keeping me off court right now but I'm not giving up. Maybe a cortisone shot.

• Posted

Cortisone  - same family  - but think it has shorter life than pred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.