MIRTAZAPINE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am now on my twelfth day of 30 mg. I don't seem to be getting any better and starting to lose

hope. Has anyone had this experience?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please don't give up hope, most anti depressants take some weeks to work but if ever in doubt return to your GP or whoever prescribed them for reassurance - do see your GP if at all concerned,it's not wasting their time.

hope all works out for you.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

Don't lose hope, as I mentioned on another post it took me at least 4 to 5 weeks to start feeling better. Also remember that feelings of hopelessness are a symptom of your depression, these feelings will improve with time.

• Posted

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I am so glad I joined this forum as it is people like yourselves that have kept me going this long. Without it I would have stopped taking them and have to start on another drug. So many many thanks.

Pat

• Posted

I've just started my 4th week, I'm told it's supposed to begin to help from now, I'm being patient and hanging in there like you are. I tried others like Lexapro but the severe anxiety for me was too much. I take Mir with Clonotril for my anxiety, which helps. Xanox was another option but too sedating with the Mir. The sleep and appetite it gives me is a great help. I recommend you stay with it, or you will get into jumping from one med to another, which is why I'm giving Mir my best go. Good luck with it and remember it's early days for you, but remember your Dr is the professional to advise you, these forums should only be used as a guide to others experiences.
  • Posted

Thanks Norman. It is exactly 2 weeks today that I started on the 30 mg and I couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning without that horrible feeling I always have. I now feel that I am on the up. I am not back to normal but at least that's a start. Unlike you I was lucky in that I didn't have the anxiety. That must be terrible.

I was on Venlafaxine which worked for over ten years! Last year it suddenly stopped working and then my GP tried various drugs including doubling the venlafaxine . . But nothing worked. I was on 15 mg of Mirtazapine but it too stopped working after about 2 months. I think with me that there have been so many drugs that don't work that I have been sceptical over this one. However, I am now feeling more optimistic. I do hope it works for you too. Let me know. Thanks again for taking the trouble to write.

Pat

• Posted

Hello from Down Under. Didn't your dr tell you that it could take at least 2 - 4 weeks for it to kick in? Stay with it! It has been great for me. Only on 15 mg, with Duloxetine of a morning. I take Mirtazipine at night. Dreams are vivid, but not every night.
  • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. I guess I am impatient. After two weeks I really felt I was getting better. I am now on my 17th day and I feel back to my awful feelings. Did anyone else experience this?

• Posted

Hi Patrcia,

When I first started Mirt after a few days I did feel better but was due to being able to sleep and eat again, that was great but my depression was very deep still. Many people say first signs of it working is begining to feel happier, more their old selfs. I've been off work 3 months after my ACDF op which left me in a Clinical depression. Took a while for me to find a med I was ok with. I keep myself fairly busy and just started therapy, but no way could I do my job yet, when I do work requiring concentration I get very anxious or even doing simple things sometimes! Just give your med time to settle into your system, that's what I'm waiting for. I'm into my fourth week and have fingers crossed I'll be feeling happier and on the track back to my old happy self soon. Just be patient, try to relax and let the med do it's work, also help it by doing things you enjoy, don't get caught up in any negative thought spins. Take care

• Posted

Very sound advice Norman. I will certainly do my best but I do get impatient. You said you are into your fourth week but you didn't say how you feel. I am now into my third week but I have felt worse for the last couple of days. I am worried that I may have to increase the dose again.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia and others,

I'm into my 5 week now, but have since lost my job and been under a lot of pressure. We need to be out of our apartment 18th April but I'm hopeful we can move to my brothers house, then continue to get better there. The effect of the Mir continues to make me sleep 30mg, but my anxiety remains, so I'm still taking the Clonotril which I'm beginning to have a dependency for! So with all my problems it's difficult to judge any improvements I have taken 4 therapy lessons which help, CBT. I saw my P Doc last Monday and he wanted me to include Viepax, I took one in the morning and by mid afternoon was completely sedated! My P Doc said to stop the Mir but after 5 weeks invested in it I'm reluctant to stop it in favor of the Viepax. Just to add to my problems I also need to undergo a double hernia op soon! I feel for now I stay the course and continue with the Mir for a few more weeks, if not by week 8 I don't see any improvements then I'll likely try a new med. one thing that annoys me is loud noises, especially children screaming, does anybody else have this problem? My 5 year old has learned to be quiet around me! Lol. How do you deal with it? I think even with all my probs the Mir is helping, I just can't say how much at the moment. Take care out there and I'll write again when I have more news!

• Posted

Oh Norman I think you are a hero coping with all those problems. I do hope you get another job and at least that should help financially. I'm into my 5th week with 30mg Mirtazapine and I have one good day and one bad day. I just don't know whether to give it another couple of weeks. But when I read about all your problems it makes mine fade into insignificance. I don't have any of the side effects that people on here write about and loud noises is a new one. I hope the op goes OK and you start having some good luck.

Pat

• Posted

I'm afraid 12 days is nothing. I spent 8 weeks at 30mg and still wasn't 100% generally you need to allow 6weeks... however you should gradually start to feel better 3-4weeks in. I'm now on 45mg and have been fof 6days after taking 30mg for just over 8 weeks xx
  • Posted

oh sorry realised this post was ages ago! lol Never the less... it was still 8weeks before I ended up upping to 45mg.. and so far i've felt much more 'normal' smile
  • Posted

Hi Rachel you have made me confident about increasing to 45 mg if I need to. Do you get any side effects? I guess I can always come off again if they are a problem.
  • Posted

Absolutely none! The first 2 nights I found it a little longer until I drifted off to sleep, but that's all fine now smile Still sleeping soundly from 11pm-7am! Genuinely had no side effects either which is good xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.