Need Support

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am new to this forum.  Three months ago I started drinking for the first time (I'm 38) but it only took one week until I was drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day.  3 months later I have just been discharged from hospital after a five day stay to have gallbladder out because it was full of stones and a ct scan found out that I had a fatty liver.  I know it was directly related to the drinking because I had a scan three months ago and I was healthy.  I have now been sober for seven days and now feel great.  I've discovered that I have a highly addicted personality so I know I can never touch alcohol again but it is always at the back of my mind - the very definition of an alcoholic.  What I'm seeking is regular support from people in my position.  Anyone interested I would love if you could message me.  I'm not religious so I have not gone the AA route but I would certainly welcome anyone who is in AA.  I know I can't do this alone.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI SkyeBeth. Very rage for anybody not to have been drinking till the age of 38 and you will be the only one on this forum! Great that you are admitting to drinking but has stopped. You are right in stopping immediately before it gets out of control. I stopped 3 yrs ago 31st Dec and feel GRET. Best of luck and let us know how you get on sober smile Robin
  • Posted

So, you have no cravings for alcohol at the moment?

Don't worry about your liver, 3 months is nothing in the drinking world, it will repair iteself just fine, if you keep off the alcohol.

Thiamin b and vitamin B compound strong, may help your body, if taken for about 3 months. They are non prescription meds and H&B sell them.

• Posted

Hi Beth, although you started late, sounds like you are alcoholic. The phenomenon of craving will return at some point. I'm 45 and used to drink daily until black out. Beer and then wine pretty much every evening. I tried many, many ways to stop or control my drinking and I could not. I needed help. I'm an atheist so also thought AA was not for me. But I tried it and have not drank for 5 months. It's not a religious group, although the god word does appear often. It's a bunch of drunks who've found a way to live without booze and have also found a program that improves their lives in other ways. You will hear people talk of God in meetings, think of it as Group Of Drunks or Good Orderly Direction. 

If you feel you need help, I'd recommend you commit to going to AA for one month (try to attend meetings daily if possible and talk to people after the meetings, they're a friendly bunch and will welcome you) and go with an open mind. Listen for the similarities not the differences in what people say. If that doesn't work, then look at plan B.

good luck!!

Ned 

• Posted

You may be new to this section, but you are not new to the forum. I have read a number of your posts in other sections, and your addiction to other drugs. I think you should really post a whole resume of your past and then we can advise better, At the moment, you are only giving us a couple of pieces of a 1,000 piece jigsaw.

Come back and tell the whole story, not just a snapshot and then you'll get the best help.

• Posted

Yeh, in the past I was but gave up everything about five months ago.  I think the alcohol became a substitute.  And it's only been painkillers that I was addicted to, I never moved into harder drugs.  I think if I can beat the painkillers I can beat the alcohol.  It helps that my life is moving in much positive direction which includes reconnecting with old friends.  I feel great not drinking and my days are ten times more productive.  That alone should make me not pick up a bottle again.  I didn't mention the painkillers because I haven't had the inclination to touch them in a long time but they did prove I have an addictive personality.  In reflection I should have known that it would have been the same with alcohol.  My brother and sister are both alcoholics so I don't have the excuse of ignorance.
    • Posted

If you closest family drinks that much this does actually explain why you stayed away from drinking and well done for turning your life around for the better!! Robin
  • Posted

While I am sad to hear you have this problem, SkyeBeth, it is very interesting because it is yet more proof that alcohol addiction comes from a physiological condition. Many people are blamed for getting into difficulty with alcohol and it is asssumed that they chose the lifestyle of drinking heavily and that turned into the situation where they couldn't stop drinking. However, your story shows, by being such an extreme example, that you were already pre-disposed to becoming addicted to alcohol.

Had you started drinking earlier in your life, exactly the same thing would have happened then.

I am glad to hear that you are doing better now smile

• Posted

Hi Skybeth?

I just wanted to clarify, had you NEVER had not even a drop of alcohol until this episode a few months ago?

• Posted

Dear SkyeBeth,

You have come to exactly the right place!  Welcome, and good for you for taking your health seriously and finding the courage to speak about it.  I also am relatively new to this site, and I am not a professional counsellor so I can't provide much in the way of structural and practical advice - although there ARE counsellors who comment on this site and will definitely be able to give you more focussed help.

I also was/ am where you are - although I have been drinking for many more years than you....   From what I have read about fatty liver (as opposed to more advanced liver damage), it CAN repair itself if you stop drinking now... before it advances to liver scarring and cirrhosis. So you've taken a good first step - to recognise your addictive personality and that you need help.

What has helped for me: keeping a journal of what you drink and when (in your case, if you are giving up completely, you won't be recording anything!); I also have visted another site, "drinkaware", which is UK-based and very helpful - you might want to check it out.  Many people who have commented on this site have also been prescribed with nalmafene (Selincro), which seems to provide huge support for people who need to stop drinking and can't manage it by themselves. You might want to talk to your doctor about it?

I think talking to people on this site is also very very supportive and helpful. People are really great and not at all judgemental. Keep coming back - it's really motivating.

I'll be following your posts and sending you positive energy for your journey to better health and sobriety! You CAN do this.

• Posted

Hi, SkyeBeth, well done for taking action so promptly and seeking support from this site. It does seem that some people can be take it or leave it drinkers and some can't. I didn't realise this until I started taking serious action on my drinking at which point my aim was to be what I thought of as "normal" - a take it or leave it drinker. But it seems I'm not made like that. I always have to consciously control my drinking and sometimes I fail at that. If you Google help with alcohol in your area you may find organisations that will help other than AA and often you can refer yourself. But I think a chat with your doctor wouldn't go amiss as they can support you, hopefully. Though you'll see from this site that not everyone has experienced their doctor being helpful. But well done again, and keep us posted how things go.
  • Posted

I'm not completely aware of what your circumstances are. You say that you were addicted to pain killers. But what we're the circumstances around this and your recent drinking??

I don't think you should label yourself an alcoholic if you have NEVER drank alcohol before and have managed to stop once you made the decision to do so, as most alcoholics can't just stop so easily.

I'm wandering whether there was a trigger to your drinking I. E. Something in your personal life??

Alot of ppl drink heavily for one reason or another and then stop, but this does not necessarily mean they have are alcoholic.

Society is to quick to put labels on ppl. You only drank for a few months out of 38 years from what I gather.

• Posted

Excellent reply Tar! Very good mix and supportive. I also found it surprising no drinking till age of 38 totally amazing and this should not be labelled as an alchoholic. Sister and brother drink but she may not necessarily follow or be pre disposed. Sky Beth will see this through and I was also asking myself about painkiller situation but have not knowledge or experience in this area and thought it best not to give advice. Good forum for everybody!! Robin
  • Posted

Hello SkyeBeth:  It's great you decided to stop drinking.  Your situation is similar to mine in the fact that I never drank to the point of having a problem until later in life.  I started drinking from taking on employment that was very stressful.  I developed an anxiety disorder.  It caused me to be unable to cross bridges without feeling like I was going to pass out.  That wasn't related to drinking, it was related to being way over stressed.  That's what the doctor told me.  She said her daughter had a similar situation like mine.  She couldn't cross bridges at all!  Drinking seem to calm me down after a stressful day at work.  Then drinking became something I relied on more and more.  After 4 years of drinking, my body gave signs too that it had enough of this alcohol.  My issues became sugar related.  I became insulin resistant.  That caused my upper arms to ache like a bad tooth ache everytime I drank.  I had many other health issues that came along too.  I finally had to quit drinking because I couldn't sleep at night due to the upper arm pain and chest pain.  I too feel better and have, I feel, conquered the drinking problem.  I took cleanings pills for the liver, colon and blood and stocked my kitchen with things I liked to eat.  When an urge to drink came up, I ate something i liked.  So I replaced the drinking with something else, food!  I also walked and still walking to get my body bad in good working order. 

Coming to this forum is a great support tool.  I wish you the best and keep up the non-drinking.  Also, know I'm here for you if you need to chat. 

• Posted

HI Gayl. What a long and brilliant response!! You have certainly turned your life around for the bette and gave good advice to SkyeBeth. All the best to all you! Robin
    • Posted

Thanks Robin! I'm still doing good. 

One thing I've 'strongly' learned from being a former drinker is that it (really) didn't help me overcome my stress.  Yes, maybe at that moment I felt it did, but as time went on the addition to alcohol became another stressor.  First, I become reliant on the alcohol to just calm me down and forget how bad I felt at the end of the work day.  More and more of my work days became stressful, so I started drinking almost everyday.  Then I was picking up 6 packs of beer to take home and drink more.  Then I developed a stronger desire for beer and bought even more, like 12 packs.  Then that's when more problems started.  I started feeling like I needed beer every night and 6 beers wasn't making me feel like I wanted, so I dranks more.  I started waking up thinking about drinking in the morning.  I always had beer in the house and if not, I would go get it for the day.  I started hiding beer from my husband, didn't want him to know just how much I drank.  In time, I knew I had an addition and I had to stop it because it was taking over my life!! I tried over and over, but more stress came my way.  My mom was diagnoised with lung cancer and my family became greedy wanting all her money and things.  Of course I had to quit my job, leave my state, and go help her.  That stress alone caused me to want to keep drinking.  After mom was diagnoised with cancer, she lived another year and just passed away at the end of Oct. 2015.  I am still in the inheritance battle, but decided I was going to stop worrying about it all, stop drinking for good, get a job and start paying off massive bills we accumulated on credit cards so I could help my mom.  When I came back home, I did quit drinking!!! Prayed and still praying everyday for help from God that he continues to support me.  I do 100% believe he's helping me.  I feel chatting in this forum has helped and also my very strong determination to not let a bottle of beer control my life and bring me down into the dirt (grave).  I want to live, I want to see my grandkids grow up, I want to be a great wife to my husband and I also want to help others conquer this beast.  I'm here for you!

• Posted

no drinking since late October or Nov 2015?? Is that correct? Is so, well done for certain. you can do it in spite of gready people including family grabbing everything and you only have memories left..been there done that but still not drinking after 3 yrs. My thoughts are wiht you!! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.