New to this site and looking for some information

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all

I've just recently been diagnosed with pmr and I'm only 45. I'm sick and tired of being in pain. I don t know anything of this condition so looking for some helpful information as poss. I also have pernicious annemia and high blood pressure.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Best thing to do is join other threads and just read. Enormous wealth of information on this site from those who really know.  Not the doctors; not the Rheumy's. It's people with PMR sharing their stories, their frustrations and their understanding of this mysterious disease. 

• Posted

Hi Teresa I'm new as well but I've found out more about this disease in th last 10 days

Just keep up your research and keep involved

We're all in this together ??

• Posted

I've found out, that any question you asked on this site, will be answered by someone, either with advice or a pep talk on how to live with PMR. Learning how to accept your limitations is the hardest part, but accept you must; you have to learn to read your body and not overdo. AND it is VERY IMPORTANT to do a SLOW TAPER with your steroid mg; don't let your doctor rush it, a fast taper will just set you back. Depending on your pain, stiffness and fatigue, a drop of 1mg or .05mg every month or 2 months, is the recommendation.

• Posted

Apart from reading as many posts on this site as you can, look up The Spoons Theory by Christine Miserando (Google it)!  She actually wrote it for people with Lupus but her advice is unbelievable and helps people with PMR just as well.  She understands pain and advises how you can explain this beastly illness to other people.

The people on here are always here to listen/advise/commiserate.  Keep asking questions and also - keep your pecker up!  We all understand.

Regards from Constance.   💐

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

If you follow this link you will find a post with links to a wide variety of sites and sources of info about PMR. As the others say, also read a load of other threads to find things that have already been discussed widely. You will find the list of all threads eer started by following this link:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/polymyalgia-rheumatica-and-gca-1708

Then, ask specific questions and someone will provide answers or advice.

Once you are on a starting dose of prednisone/prednisolone you should find much of the pain improves, the stiffness certainly will. You will need to stay at the starting dose (usually 15-20mg) for about 6 weeks until the symptoms have improved as much as they are going to and then you should start to reduce very slowly to find the lowest dose that gives you the same result as that starting dose did. You may not be totally free from pain - that is perfectly normal, but it should be at least 70% better. 

And don't make the mistake of trying to catch up with everything you couldn't do - that will just leave you feeling awful and thinking the pred isn't working. Your muscles are still intolerant of acute exercise and will remain so for some considerable time. You will be able to do more eventually but you will have to build up slowly to do more.

• Posted

Hi, Sorry to hear you have PMR : I have had it afor about 3 months now, and am on 40 mg of Pred a day, it does help with the pain, and hope to start weening down soon to a lower dose. It took me at least 2 months to come to terms that I was not going to shake this in a few weeks, the more information you can read on it the better. Now I have come to terms that it's a life change illness and can be for a few years or more, I am coping a lot better, mind and body. This site has helped me a lot, Eileen and the people on here are very good with helping by explaining their own symptoms etc, without pushing. We all have different reactions to the medication, always good to hear what others have so it can help us also.

I wish you well.

Cheers Dea

• Posted

40 mg?  Do you also have GCA? Or some other condition? If not, that's a huge starting dose and it will be a very long taper from there. Virtually every doctor starts treatment at 15-20 mg max.

• Posted

Hi, yes I also had shown symptoms of GCA, starte din 20 and then they put me up : I am dreading the taper .. I am to give blood again next week to see where my levels are, but the last 2 days have not been good. Been on the 40mg for 3 half weeks. I am hoping to start to taper, we will see. Thanks 
  • Posted

Bless your heart. 45. Goodness, I was 53.

things I've learned up to today, I'd almost rather have the pain.

At your young age, I'd say really, really research. Really, really focus on meditation and research the body/mind connection. 

The predisone has really done a number on my body. I can't wait to get off. 

Been 1 yr 8 mths. I down to 2 mg. 

i just learned...and NOT from doctors...been diagnosed with osteoporosis which prednisone and thyroid synthetic meds can cause or contribute to, and possibly now showing signs of Osteonecrosis which Pred can cause, which no one talked about, especially doctors. 

I'm working on healing my stomach due to Pred. 

My skin is like I'm 80. 

I know about the pain, I've been in pain every day, and yes the Predisone helped that, made me feel 50-70% better, but ugh...

i was always healthy before, but mentally I let things stress me big time, now...I'm a very happy person and I'm healing! smile 

Best of luck and hope for good information to come your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.