Non hormonal copper coil - pain

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I had copper coil in a month ago and all was fine until the end of my first period a few days ago, now I have some abdominal pain (but not period-like pain). Had it checked by the doctor who put the coil in and she says the threads are there and the coil is in place. If the pain doesn't go away she advised me to see my GP. I feel really well otherwise, no other symptoms.

It feels like the coil is 'digging' into me, can that happen? Maybe its just sitting in an uncomfortable place? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI Hanna,I had the implant and it made me gain so much weight! I've had the copper coil about 9 months now and have had no weight gain. Well I had a little but I put that down to a few hollidays and too many carbs! However since the copper coil has no hormones it's not thought to cause weight loss. As for being able to feel it,I couldn't feel it but everyones different. I'm sure it'll pass within a few days though,it is something different that your body needs to get used to. Hope this helps! Xx
  • Posted

Hi im 17 and had the copper coil fitted in December 2012, its been nearly 4 months and ive only had one proper period which was in January, ever since ive had it fitted every single day ive had a horrible smelly brown discharge which means im always having to wear pads and cannot be sexually actice with my partner.

The doctors and nurses are saying everythings okay and its normal after 2 internal examinations, its really getting me down and was just wondering if it wears off eventually, the doctors are saying give it six months for your body to get used to it, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same or whether anyone elses side effects have wore off after the first six months, im ready to have it taken out but wont know what else to use.

Thanks in advance x

• Posted

Hi Lauren

Just saw your comment regarding the coil... I am having the same problem at the moment and wondering if yours ever settled?

Many thanks

Zoe

• Posted

Hi I'm 22 I have had a non hormonal coil fitted about a year and half ago my periods still go on for longer I seem to start my affects of my period le my boobs get very big and really sore on the 20th of every month and I don't come on till the 2nd of the following month and I'm on my period till the 7th and then after I finish I still spot blood in this all normal
  • Posted

Im 25 and had the copper coil fitted a week ago. While I found the actual fitting process a little uncomfortable my real problems started when I got home. I got such severe cramps that I spent the entire day vomiting which also meant I couldn't keep down any painkillers. Any incredibly unpleasant experience. When I went back to the Drs they said it was normal to be in intense pain for up to 6 hours afterwards. I never even thought it was a possibility.

I've been bleeding and cramping pretty constantly since that day though the vomiting has stopped. So like other people have said before its a pretty effective method because if the bleeding continues i'll never have sex again. The coil was sold to my by Drs as having very few issues and I naively trusted them rather than reading up on it before. Does it really take 6 months to settle? How long will I continue to bleed for?! I dread to think what my periods will be like if this is the inbetween stages!

• Posted

I'm the same! I had the copper coil fitted yesterday, and today was awoken with an intense constant cramping pain and nausea, I haven't moved from bed except to vomit! Hoping it doesn't last much longer, but from what I'm reading on this forum, I'm getting super freaked out that it's gonna ruin my life! 😕

• Posted

I'm 26 with no children and had the copper coil fitted a few days ago , it was the worst pain I have ever experienced and with all the pain I'm experiencing now I'm regretting having it put in , I am still bleeding , I am having extreme cramps , my insides are spazzing out can only describe it as similar to a palpitation , I'm constantly taking pain killers , I get constant twinges that takes breath away and I'm waking up I'm tears if I sleep on my front or back (worse if I'm on my back) I constantly need to go to the toilet , I can't hold it for a few mins if I'm busy i have to go straight away other wise it becomes an intense ache and causes me to shudder and shake, I can constantly feel it there , if I lean towards the mirror near the sink or gently touch the area it's extremely painful and sensitive and if I'm not experiencing cramps it's like a constant dull ache , I have actually been dying a hot water bottle at every given opportunity , it works for a little until take it off

I really hope this will subside soon , as I'm terrified now of being told I have to have it removed

I would strongly recommend not having this done if you have not given birth , if these problems persist it will actually be the best contraception ever cause I'll never want to be touched in that area ever again

I'm also not just being a wimp as I have an extremely high pain threshold

Kelly

• Posted

I just had an IUD placed last Wed. WOW was it painful. I had terrible cramps that night into the next day. Here we are to Sunday and I don't really have cramps but I do still have stomach pain. It's kind of hard to explain but it doesnt' feel good. I'm really hoping that it does away soon. I know it's only been a few days but I don't like it. Other than that I haven't even had any bleeding yet. I tired to find the stings that the doc said she didni't cut yet and I'm not really feeling them? That's worrying me also.

• Posted

Hi I am  exactly the same  I am scared to have it out  but I know that I am going to hath to  outside mood swings I’ll quite bad  and the cramps  I have put up with it two years now   Enough now  I need to get the courage   To have it out. 
  • Posted

Using a hot water bottle *
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I had the copper coil fitted last Wednesday after a failed attempt to be sterilized. I wanted something non hormonal as everything Ive used in the past has made me gain a lot of weight among other side effects, The last pill I was using I gained 3st in 7mths. I have had 3 kids so I made the decision to get sterilized, with it failing I was offered the copper coil as an alternative, the day I had it done I came home and was being sick, cramps had me in tears, no painkillers worked. Now nearly a week down the line Ive stopped being sick, I am still spot bleeding and the craps are constant and painful, Im already thinking I should go for the older sterilization and go and speak to my GP about having surgery. The joys of being a woman.....
  • Posted

Hi, I had a copper coil fitted 6 days ago for the first time. Previously I was on the pill for 18 years. 24 hours after having it fitted I had horrific pain in the left hand side of my abdomen. My doctor said it was probably my uterus contracting. 24 hours later I started to get shooting pains up and down my body. The next day I went back to the doctors and asked them to remove the coil (by this point I had had the coil for 72 hrs) and the doctor could not find the threads. She sent me to A&E who sent me straight to gynaecology. Neither the doctor or the registrar could find the coil. I was then booked in for an ultrasound and again no coil. I was then sent for an x ray and the coil was eventually found....IN MY ABDOMEN. It had perforated my uterus and I now have to have key hole surgery under general anasthetic to have it removed! The whole experience is horrendous. I am in constant pain and have to take antibiotics to stop any infection. I would not reccomend the coil to anyone. At the time it seemed like a great option as I haas a terrible habit of forgetting to take my pill but now I will never forget to take my pill after this awful experience.
  • Posted

Hi guys I posted a few weeks ago about the amount of pains I was in after having the coil fitted , since the initial week of continuous pain I described above in previous comments , the pain stopped I have had a period since and get a little twinge in the left hand side of my womb ? But I am able I go about normal day to day things and have gone back to intense work outs with out much discomfort , I know I previously said that it shouldn't be for anyone who has not had kids , I stick by that BUT of you can put up with the pain and bleeding for a week to two weeks then when it settles it's fine smile

Hope I haven't just jinxed myself for this months reds but we shall see smile

• Posted

Hi everyone. I've had the copper coil fitted from last November! I have all the heavy periods and lasting more than two days. My main worry lately is that I get a lot of pain now and again inside and in my back is this normal?? I'm worried to go to my gp in case it cud be something else! I check for the strings which I can never feel but it must be in place because it's working the last few months and I not pregnant. Cud the coil have moved or punctured anything that cud be causing the pain? It's like a throbbing pain sometimes or crampy like trapped wind. Can anyone put me out of my worrying mind plz thank you..
  • Posted

Hello, I wanted to share my experience with the copper coil and hopefully put some peoples minds at rest! I was very nervous about having it done, and after 4 years of constantly brin sick 3/ 4 times a week and feeling very depressed and emotional I decide to get it! Being only 20 and not having had an children the thing I was worried about the most was the pain! The whole thing was over a done with in 10/15 minuites an the actual pain did hurt, but wasn't agony and no where near as bad as I thought it would be and just came in 3 cramping bursts. Afterwards I had slight bleeding and some normal strength period pains for around 2 days, it was then a week before I got my first proper period whic was slightly more painful and slightly longer than before but I was expecting this considering I had been on the pill with barely any periods for 4 years! I've had the coil for 6 weeks now and I barely ever notice it, every now an again I get a slight cramp or a strafe feelin like I can feel it but compared to how I was feeling on the pill this i a god send! I only wish I had done it sooner!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.