Non hormonal copper coil - pain

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I had copper coil in a month ago and all was fine until the end of my first period a few days ago, now I have some abdominal pain (but not period-like pain). Had it checked by the doctor who put the coil in and she says the threads are there and the coil is in place. If the pain doesn't go away she advised me to see my GP. I feel really well otherwise, no other symptoms.

It feels like the coil is 'digging' into me, can that happen? Maybe its just sitting in an uncomfortable place? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, I had the copper coil fitted about 4 weeks ago. The fitting itself lasted no more than 10 minutes and, while very uncomfortable and at times short, sharp, pains, it was bearable. The problems started immediately after the fitting when I was in agony with contractions. The pain intensified very quickly and I spent the rest of the day in bed being violently sick and shaking with the pain. The cramps lasted about three days, reducing in intensity. I didn't have any bleeding or discharge thankfully.

In the four weeks since the fitting I've had a few days of intense cramping, usually after sex. I've now got my period and the cramps are severe, accompanied by heavy flow and bad bloating. I've found that it has coincided with tummy trouble which may/may not be related. I've been generally uncomfortable since I had the coil fitted and am trying to hold out as I can't have anything hormonal. I've not spoken to anyone who recommends the coil - everyone experiences pain/discomfort to different levels so, personally, I would strongly recommend considering other options as exhaustively as possible before putting yourself through this.

• Posted

oh and yes - a hot water bottle is a life saver! I have one on my lap as I type this!
  • Posted

Hi everybody, I have read everybody's comments on the copper coil. I am meant to be going to have mine

Fitted tomorrow and have only just researched it (bad I know) I am not sure whether to actually go and have it fitted or to cancel my appointment as I am going on holiday in 4 weeks time for 3 week and really don't want this to spoil my holiday as I have been looking forward to it for nearly 2 years. Can any of you advise if in 4 weeks time I might be ok? I understand it's different for everyone but any advise will help. I have the option to get the marina coil fitted to but would rather go for something with no hormones as since I have been on the pill I have gradually gained 4 stone.

Thank you in advance

Kate x

• Posted

Hi,

I had the copper coil fitted 10 weeks ago. The fitting was total agony and the cramping for 6 hours afterwards was horrendous if Id given birth there and then I wouldn't have been surprised. My first period came after 5 weeks with hardly any pain but very heavy bleeding.

My 2nd period at 3.5 wks later wasn't as heavy but the pains were terrible like I was bring stabbed, shooting pains both back and front and worse when going to the toilet. I went to the docs and was put on two different strong anti biotics for 2 weeks which were horrible to take. I googled them and discovered I was being treated for PID!!! Which the doctor failed to mention and another doctor confirmed when I went back for swabs. Both urine and swabs came back clear thankfully so the antibiotics were a waste of time.

I'm now on my 3rd period which came after only 3 weeks and I'm in agony again. Lying in bed at 450 amtyping this because the shooting pains keep waking me up. Really don't know whether to persevere or get it removed. In between periods I'm totally fine with no side effects or mood swings which is fab! Just wish thispain would stop, going to try buscopan tomorrow. Fingers crossed it helps because paracetamol with codeine isn't touching it at all.

• Posted

I have two daughters 2 (3 in June) and 9 before having both I have had the copper coil as anything with hormone gives me migraine. With the first had the coil removed got pregnant and then had it put back after she was born no problems what so ever. I had it removed for my second and then again had it put back after she was born, now she will be 3 in June so I would say I’ve had it for 2 ½ years, the last 6-12mnths I have had the following symptoms, anxiety, depression, tiredness, irritable and in the last week or so I’ve started with palpitations, I’ve never had this before I’m usually a string outgoing person and would have never said that I would ever become depressed as its not in my nature. I also have long periods which is not unusual for me but again over the last 6-12mnths I’ve been spotting in-between and my sex drive has gone on vacation with a one way ticket I think!!!!!!! After reading some of these comments I’m considering having this out, although I have been down the GP route he said ‘it couldn’t be the coil as no hormone’ and prescribed me anti-depressants which I took back to him after one week due to side effects. Can anyone help me in my decision or does anyone have a similar story??
  • Posted

Hey ladies !! 

I got the non hormones coil fitted in 2 days ago !! And I can honestly say it was the worst feeling I have ever felt... I am very good with pain normally... I was sick the whole day and as soon as I got home, I could barely move... I went out last night to a club and I felt like collapsing, this lasted for about 10 minutes ! I can feel something digging inside of me and am still experiencing cramps.. Does it honestly take 6 months until the pain goes away ? I am petrified of taking it out now. On the other hand my friend got it done the exact same day , and she has had no problems and did not hurt her one bit and is completely fine . IM guessing it depends on each person

• Posted

Hi Ladies

I am in day 4 of having my third merina fitted and i'm getting the feeling it will be my last. The previous two had no probelm whats so ever but this latest "install" OMG !!

Im in the worst uncomfortable pain since child birth. Right now I'm at work and I cannot sit down ! Currently sitting in a tilted position !! I feel a throbing burning sensation along with a diggy feel in my left side of womb. Now I've checked for the strings and cant feel them. I've called the family planning clinic and they said get your partner to check if the pain still there come in. I feel so sick right and want it out ! 

• Posted

Hi,

Problems such as yours are not very uncommon with Copper coil. Give sometime to your body to get used to it. If you experience the pain even after then if would be better for you to get second opininon from an expert doctor. Our body response in different ways to same treatment and if you are not feeling well from inside than there is no need of comparing your condition with anyone else. Hope you get an idea ...

smile

You can also take medicines for avoiding pregnancy. There are lots of online pharmacy sellers that can facilitate you quality medicines at home.

Get advice form your doctor as soon as possible.

• Posted

Omg I had the copper coil fittted yesterday and I've bleeding since I have abnormal cramps in my vagina, and I'm getting no sleep? 
  • Posted

I have every symptom that you have. also pain in my left hip and lower back burning sensation in back and chest.

My coil was fitted 8 years ago, the  insertion excruciatingly painful, so much that I almost passed out.

I find it difficult to have a bowel movement too, I have been back and forth to see my Doctor but said I have IBD. 

I am now wondering if it's my coil that has caused all these symptons.

• Posted

Hi Ladies

9 months on I have been complaining , going back and forth to the health clinic with no avail. I wasnt  until I have a mri scan on my knees due severe pain and a xray on my right hip that showed the culprit. Well wouldnt you know it !  ! the Mirena coil is embedded in my right pelvis !!! it has been moving since. I have been controlling the pain by strong pain relief. I am now awaiting to have it removed.

Never again

• Posted

I had a copper IUD fitted 2 days ago. The insertion I found was just like mild period pain nothing painful just uncomfortable it took no more than 5 minutes from her using the dilator to the coil actually being inserted. My cervix points downwards so the doctor had to pull my cervix up and out which was a little uncomfortable but again it wasn't painful. I must add that I have had 1 vaginal birth so that probably helped as your cervix never fully closes afterwards its always about 1cm dilated. 

I never had any bleeding afterwards and only mild cramping for around 1hr afterwards. Sorry for the TMI but I noticed I was having some looser stools and using the toilet more frequently than normal. Just today (2 pays post insertion) I am noticing some discomfort mainly in my right side, it feels as if I am ovulating and it cannot be the coil digging in because it is near my ovary, I am not expecting to be ovulating as I am due my period anyday so not sure what it is. It is actually discomforting enough for me to have taken some painkillers. I am hoping it settles soon and hope that I haven't been doing too much physical activity (running around after my son) too soon and caused damage!  

• Posted

Hi Shornah,I had my 3rd copper iud inserted last week Friday and had lower back and abdomen cramping and spotting for the first 2 days or so which is normal.Problem is,between Monday and today Thursday,i have had discomfort/cramping that felt like my two ovaries were in pain for lack of a better way to explain it, but between yesterday evening and today,the pain is on my right lower abdomen.It's dull and makes me feel weak on my leg on that side but intermittently builds up to a higher level of pain that makes me pause...I am living on painkillers.Did your situation improve?What have you had to do?I have had one before done in December of 2012 and apart from heavy and prolonged periods of 5 to 7 days, it served me well.I went to the doctor around 2 months ago for a check up and an ultrasound showed that the iud which was almost 4 years old had shifted towards my cervix.The doc decided to remove it and replace it with another one.So i had the usual cramping and spotting but no pain like what i have now except i spotted for a week before my periods began and had terrible cramping during the duration of my period.My partner was feeling the strings during intercourse and my doc had told me to go bac in after my periods anyway to check if everything was still intact plus i needed to ask about the annoying spotting and terrible cramping during my periods.So i went back in last Friday and all was well but as he was trying to cut and tuck the strings,he mistakenly pulled out the iud.He decided to replace it with a new one on the spot and this new one is the one that has been giving me trouble. Please let me know whether you had this sorted out.I really feel like i want to have it removed and start using pills.I have never used hormonal contraceptives because i have seen how badly they sometimes mess people up and i am planning to concieve this coming January so i dont want to go that route if i can help it.Thanks.

• Posted

I had the copper coil fitted about a month ago. Threw as hardly any pain with insertion, it was all ok, although I infer whether this was because I have been pregnant bore. I am 24. Since then I have been experiencing inter,intent EXTREME womb pain, to the point where I am taking very large amounts of ibuprofen to keep it under control. It feels like a burning/stabbing/heavy cramp, and nothing makes it go away except large amounts of ibuprofen.. Then usually it is back the next day. I don't know if I can deal with this, the amount of pain. I am bleeding but for the last 6 days I have had intermittent bleeding and it  hasnt been like period bleeding at all. I absolutely hate the copper coil but I can't deal with hormonal contraceptives... 

• Posted

Hello All, just thought I will share my experience as not many positive posts but that's usually because people tend to write only when there is an issue. Coil fitted 3 months ago, 12 weeks postpartum. Absolutely no pain during fitting and no pain with first period, bleeding pretty much the same as normal and lasted only 4 days. One big twisting cramp day after period but gone right away. Happy customer and much more satisfied than with any hormonal staff which made fat, depressed, spotty or worried about forgetting. Really recommend trying but of course since we are all individuals it Is bound to be different for all. Best Wishes, Magda (still waiting for male coil to be invented!!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.