Non hormonal copper coil - pain

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I had copper coil in a month ago and all was fine until the end of my first period a few days ago, now I have some abdominal pain (but not period-like pain). Had it checked by the doctor who put the coil in and she says the threads are there and the coil is in place. If the pain doesn't go away she advised me to see my GP. I feel really well otherwise, no other symptoms.

It feels like the coil is 'digging' into me, can that happen? Maybe its just sitting in an uncomfortable place? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the copper coil fitted last week. Having had no children it was a little painful on insertion, but over quickly. I had discomfort and cramp like pains that first day and have bled for the following 4 days. I had mild pain to my left side for those 4 days. Day 5 is today and though I've stopped bleeding I still have mild cramp like pains (to my right now). I felt bloated and constipated since fitting and am worried about discharge (slightly smelly.. has anyone else had this?). Am going to persevere as don't remember to take pills regularly and this seemed the best option for me. Having been off hormone pills for over a year, I wasn't keen to go back on them after taking them for more than 10 years. I am in my late 30's. Will keep you posted with progress. I like Magda am waiting for them to introduce male form of contraceptive!!

• Posted

Im 24 I had the copper iud inserted about 5 months ago my first few periods were heavy but died down after a few days I have now been spotting for 4 weeks red blood and in the last few days broken out into the heaviest period I have ever had I have plowed through a box and a half of tampons in two days I have almost bled completely down to my knees in 4 hours I now feel dizzy, weak and tired. I don't even know if I should be worried I was raised by my dad I have had to learn everything on my own, and there really isn't really anything about this anywhere. I'm practically gushing red blood.

• Posted

Hello all. How is everyone doing now? I was fitted three days ago. Initially I had cramps and bleeding afterwards (to be expected). Let me tell you, being fitted reminded me of EARLY LABOR! I have two boys, but my youngest is almost ten years old so it has been nearly ten years since my cervix has had any action. The MA had great difficulty getting my cervix to open. VERY PAINFUL! Anyways, I know I should give this thing more time to adjust, and I had Mirena before (had it removed nearly 5 years agao). But this Paragard coil is nearly killing me. I am doubled over at work, cannot stand up straight, the shooting stabbing pain is so immensely debilitating I cannot breathe. THE WORST part is that I am bloated so badly. Like I look as if I have gained 10 pounds. So, yes ladies please tell me how everyone is doing now! I am ready to call the doc, have it removed. 
  • Posted

I just got mine in and January and I have the same problem. I have heavy discharge between and i have had 2 utis and now this pain! Going to call the doctor hoping to find a way to bare with the pain.
  • Posted

Hello, I got my copper IUD inserted a week ago and found it agony initially and I cramped the whole day after, which I totally expected. I have been told by my GP that the heavy cramping and bleeding post insertion is normal, but I have found as the days go on it is becoming more severe and intense, reducing me to curl up in a ball and cry with the pain for prolonged periods of time untill it eases off. I can't get out or go anywhere with the worry it will start cramping again. I don't want to pester my GP with worry if it is normal but I feel like this shouldn't be as painful. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, any advice? Thanks x 

• Posted

Heyy! I have the same problem I finished my period over a week ago and I still get really bad cramping. It is more on my right side as well but when I had my first check there for my 8 weeks the doctor said everything was fine and it was far back. She didn't seem overall worried about the cramps and she gave me metafamic acid for the pain. Wondering when the cramps are going to go away! You kind of expect it on your period but not after aswell. Literally not even 3 weeks normality..it's a nightmare just hoping they go away but has it for anyone else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.