Off mirt for 13 days will i ever sleep again?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could resssure me on the sleep front. I was on mirt 15 for about a year and tapered down to a 1/4 tab. I was so fed up with the side effects even at such a low dose (back pain, headaches, depressing weight gain) i decided to stop. I was ok for a few days and just used 1/2 a sleeping tab here and there to help me through but by about withdrawAl day 6 it's got really bad, i feel physically exhausted but unable to relax enough to sleep. And now worrying about sleep is making me very anxious. I'm taking sleeping pills most nights and even they don't work particularly well. Feel like i've lost my ability to drop off. Regret the day i ever started those tabs. Can anyone help? thank you.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi R, sorry for your suffering; insomnia was the reason I took Mirt' in the first place.  So from what you say you jumped off Mirt at about 3.75 mg.  In my humble opinion hat is too high a dose to stop at, also our central nervous system may still be catching up with the taper that you did.  I don't know if you have read previous advise about tapering no more than 10% per month?  How did you do your taper?

If you can bear the sleeplessness you might want to carry on as you are, hoping for homeostatis, however sleeping tablets are addictive also and really, the sleep we get from them is not the most refreshing, at least it wasn't for me.  You are in fact in withdrawal from Mirt' and insomnia is one of the worst effects, it may go on for some time.

Or you may want to go back to the previous dose (3.75 mg) and then once stable & sleeping ok again, start a very slow taper.  I know it sounds barmy doing a 10% a month taper (or 5% ever 2 weeks is what I have done) but from what I have read on the forum of others doing a fast taper and falling into the same position as yourself - I think its the best way.

Are you UK??  If so you might want to ask your doc for the liquid version of Mirt which is easy to break down into smaller doses, if not there is a method to enable you to make a liquid yourself.  Let me know if you are interested and i'll let you know.

I hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Hi calmer, have you heard of itching. Especially itchy hands during mirtizapine withdrawal??? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Connie, I think I just answered you on another thread, but just in case - yes this is very common on stopping the Mirt ... Mirt contains a huge histamine block, so when Mirt is whipped away the histamines come flooding in and causes the itching.  

A simple over the counter anti histamine tablet from the supermarket or chemist for a few weeks will sort this.

x

• Posted

Mirt free 9 days. Allegra round the clock, cortisone cream and a script of itch steroid cream and still itchy. It is not a rash but itching coming from inside my body. *sigh*
    • Posted

These sounds like more toxic meds, I don't think its about covering over any itch but 'preventing' it with the anti histamine I spoke of.

Look after yourself, and above all be kind to yourself x

• Posted

Toxic meds? I went to ER today, all fine except elevated white blood cells. 15. Do you think the lack of histamine from stopping mirt is giving my body an allergic reaction? Idk, but thank you. You are very helpful. 😊

• Posted

Yes definately, no need for more prescription creams & cortisone & steroid creams - these all can have side effects.  You just need to take the anti histamine really like I mentioned above Connie.

• Posted

That's what the allergist said too. I was taking allegra 12 hour she said that's not enough antihistamine I'm on zyrtec 10 mg 2 x day or more. Have a 24 hr heart moniter on now to make sure my palpitations are from anxiety and not heart issue. Have to redo blood next week to see if white count drops. I bet if I took mirtizapine all this would go away but not worth it. After 10 weeks mirt stops and I don't know why?

• Posted

Hi,

I’m going through the same issue you’re going through right now.  I was on it for about a year just recently jumped off at 7.5MG every other day them off completely. Like you I was ok for a few days, then the insomina hit hard.  The main issue for me is the Insomnia. I have had to reinstate a couple of times as I thought I was going maid no sleep. Looking at my sleep log I can see some improvement from when I first jumped off, I panic very easy so that makes the sleep issue more instance.  I have been improving but very slowly, I begged my doctor to give me some sleep aid, I just got some Trazadone , he said to use it sparingly  and as needed, what sleep aid are you using?  And is it working for you? I alos felt like I had lost my ability to drop off to sleep but that has slowley improved. Try and hang in there, I know its hard as not getting sleep is the worst.

Like you I also regret takeing them.

• Posted

Yep, on them 2 years. Only helped with sleep i think then groggy in day.  Sleep definatelynaffected jumping from 7.5 to about 3.75.  Trying hard not to reinstate.  I did not have anything like this panic before i took the meds. Dr gave me valium for anxiety and now i take a low dose each day to try to keep panic at bay.  Dr has fiven me some Trazodone but really dont want to take another a/d.  Have you used it and what did it do?  So hard  feeling so rubbish, anyone feel like they are going mad during all this process? Please, just want life back again.
    • Posted

Hi, Do not use any other maint drugs for more then two weeks as your body will become adjusted to them and makes the process that much worse.

Only use it if you are at you end and need to get some sleep, I am 175lb and 100mg Trazadone was to much, 50mg Trazdone  was good to get some sleep, after takeing MIRT this Trazdone may not work, as I have herd from others who were trying to get off MIRT. right now Im takeing it, literally one moment at a time, one day at a time,  Are you getting any sleep at all? are you able to stay home? need to start CBT-I this will help.

• Posted

I was on 15 mg for a year, gained 40 pounds and other side effects, the medicine did help me to sleep and start working on myself but after a year I decided I was ready to quit it, I started tapering down for a period of 6 months, during those 6 months I reallly put my rutine into place, starting mediating, exercising, eating healthy and being aware of my emotions; it's been almost 4 months I'm off it and I have been sleeping great smile, it did take me 2-3 weeks to get passed the withdraw symptoms but now I feel great and I already dropped 15 pounds, so yeah, it's a struggle at the beginning but you can overcome that fear of not sleeping. I used the book "say goodnight to immsomnia" and helped me a lot. I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

That's encouraging Monica, so many folk with the insomnia at present. I think you were lucky to get well after the 2-3 weeks, pleased for you. Was your sleep good at this time also ??

Well done for losing weight, 40 lbs ! Think mine was 24 lbs gggrrr !

• Posted

I'm 9 days off and have resorted to short term xanax use until the withdrawals stop. Nauseas, insomnia, itching,anxiety,brain fog. not trying to replace one drug with another just getting thru the struggle. Please let me know how you make out. It's got to end soon, right?

• Posted

you are further on than me.  Valium is needed here too. Trying hard not to let psychiatrist replace with another drug. Oh its so debilitating.  Do you feel fear at trying to reinstate your life as it was?  I have been offered yoga class but scared to go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.