Perimenopausal and Anxiety

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I am 52 and perimenopausal. I have been having a feeling of dread / anxiety / forboding for the last nine months. I have nothing to worry about in my life, no children and a great husband. Last Friday I felt like my heart was going to explode it was beating so fast on my way home from work. I normally have low blood pressure, but that night it was very high. Over the weekend it has come down. My worse time to get these symptoms is when I get into bed at night to sleep. Its like I am expecting something bad to happen. I have read anxiety is a symptom in the menopause. Please can you let me know I am not losing the plot. Thanks.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Josey, this started fir me in peri, about 2 yrs ago, anxiety and palpitations which sometimes led to panic attacks. Since periods stopped 14 mths ago they became more frequent to the pount at xmas when i was having nocturnal PAs, adtenalin dump, rapid heartrate, fear of something bad going to happen. I had mentioned anxiety many times at docs and theyd not really taken it seriously. Well i was a complete wreck after xmas with panic disorder, i couldnt leave the house, wasnt sleeping, dizzy, unsteady on legs. Of course the doctor had to take me seriously now, so i went on betablockers to stop the racing heart, HRT for hormones, sertraline for the anxiety and diazepam to get me through the side effects of the ADs. 7 weeks i to meds and starting to feel more like i was, able to go shopping, works hard but i am going part time, worrying a lot less, tho still waking with a bit of anxiety and still panic a bit when i get palpitations, but not a full blown PA. I do believe that if doctors had intervened sooner it wouldnt have got to this crippling stage where i felt like i was having a breakdown. So please see ypure doctor and emphasize how you are feeling because i wouldnt want this to escalate for you like it has for me. I will get better or at least find coping mechanisms (im paying for CBT) but it should never have got to this stage. Good luck and be insistant that you need some help x
    • Posted

I am really struggling with anxiety as well and I get the same symptoms as you. I fear everything and normal everyday things even make me anxious as well. I feel exhausted, foggy headed, palpitations, jelly legs, dizzy not sleeping, and just an awful sense of something bad is going to happen. I am going to talk to the doctor about it when I next see her because it is making me house bound xx
    • Posted

Julie, sorry to hear yours got so bad, hope things continue to improve x
    • Posted

Hi Sally, I only just saw your post, I've been through exactly the same but one thing I will tell you for sure it does subside you will not know when it stop just keep going...the awful feeling like something is going to happen I know that symptom to well and still I get it now again

i have been house bound and now trying to get back out and mix with people  which still is a little problem but I'm getting there again, it does get better with time I hope since you put your post up you are doing ok (((((((HUGS))))))

• Posted

Thanks so much Maria. I still feel the same, but just try to get through each day. You have give me hope xx
    • Posted

Hi Sally, you will be fine, I'm still going through it these symptoms are just hormones messing around with us nothing more then that...but I know how you feel god bless

• Posted

Hi josey , your so not losing the plot, but that doesn't stop you feeling like you are, all these symptoms are peri and horribley normal, I feel like I'm on the edge on a daily basis and that I'm going over, it's a daily mental and physical challenge for us peri ladies, I'm new to this and can't really give u much advice as Im learning each day, just keep in touch with all on this forum as there is some lovely ladies with some great advice, thinking of you,x

• Posted

Hi Jenny and all the other ladies. Yes, I am just starting with all the symptoms of panic etc.

I am 46 and think my symptoms started a year ago. Can't stop the vicious cycle of worrying & something awful will happen to me. Heart racing,

Feeling out of control, etc. I had panic attacks years ago but had it under control upto now. But there back with a vengeance. Along with all the hot flushes, cold chills,

foggy head, can't think straight,feeling cross at the littlest things that wouldn't normally bother me, and feeling I could hit someone, then bursting into tears.

I didn't realise there were so many symptoms of perimenopause, just thought there was something wrong with me. I am making a list of my symptoms. I agree, it is a daily mental battle. Had a bad day with the panic feelings today.

Started feeling scared to go out as worried I will have a panic attack when I am out. It's silly, as I've been here before, read the books, had the therapy.

But, ended up controlling it my self with a lot of positive thinking etc. But, feeling a bit better as I've just joined this forum today.

Thanks ladies, knowing I am not alone with my feelings, thoughts and symptoms is very comforting. Sooze x

• Posted

Sooze. Hope you find your own way to manage this. Itchas helped me greatly knowing that I am not cracking up. Take care x
    • Posted

I have just started and I am 49and I am freaked out. I do ok during the day but at night I freak out with the attacks!  I joined the forum hoping to find some support,  I feel so alone right now.  I have 4 children depending on me one is handicapped.   I just pray my symptoms get better and I hope you are doing better too!  
  • Posted

Yes hormones can give you anxiety.  I think most women on this forum have had it.  Take magnesium.  It works!  Drop caffiene and excess sugar.  Exercise to get rid of the anxious feeling.   Anxiety can be delt with effectively.  Don't let it mess with you.  

• Posted

I agree, goin to gym 3 to 4'times a week, I do get abit panicky knowing that I have to face the world but once I'm out and there i feel great,I've suffered horrible from panic attacks in the past way before I became perimenopousal so know how it can take over your life.

• Posted

Thank you Beth, will make sure I take magnesium, thanks for the tip.
    • Posted

Which is the best form of magnesium to take for this? There are so many xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.