Perimenopausal and Anxiety

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I am 52 and perimenopausal. I have been having a feeling of dread / anxiety / forboding for the last nine months. I have nothing to worry about in my life, no children and a great husband. Last Friday I felt like my heart was going to explode it was beating so fast on my way home from work. I normally have low blood pressure, but that night it was very high. Over the weekend it has come down. My worse time to get these symptoms is when I get into bed at night to sleep. Its like I am expecting something bad to happen. I have read anxiety is a symptom in the menopause. Please can you let me know I am not losing the plot. Thanks.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey josey,

I'm also 52 and its been almost three years since my last period.  I had the exact same symptoms as you...the anxiety was terrible....I could barely leave the house.  But now it is much better. Even the hot flashes are better.  I started with serious symptoms about a year before I stopped.  The first year after was bad then it started to get better.  Everyone is different but hang in there....it gets better.wink

Oh, the heart palpitations are normal too.  Mine were worse at night.  You might have digestive problems or an increase in allergies or new allergies.  Expect some weird stuff....but it will end.  I promise.  

• Posted

Thanks Chloe. My skin has become drier with allergies, but also spots on my face and I have never suffered with spots, even as a teenager. The things us women have to put up with.
    • Posted

Thank you Chloe for your reply.  You have no idea how much it has calmed me down!  I hate night time!  I am terrified to go to sleep.  I am going to look into taking some magnesium.  Thank you again for your post.
  • Posted

Yes Josie I have these feelings too. You're not losing the plot. I can suddenly get completely irrational fears like my husband has died in a car crash on the way home, or paranoia that some friend really hates me....Its like my logical brain (that tells me none of that is correct) fights with my emotional brain ( completely over run by fear etc). I have some guided meditations downloaded to my phone that I use when it gets bad, or a brisk walk around the block, or retail therapy (shopping), or gardening, or making Jewelry (creative outlet)!

• Posted

Thanks Lisk. Its a very strange feeling, it just feels like something is very wrong. I may have to try an evening walk to see if that helps before bed.
  • Posted

Hi josey i like you am going through those symptoms just last night I woke up to pounding in my chest I couldn't breathe feeling like if I was going to have a heart attack I got out of bed and went into the bathroom and I couldn't catch my breath and Felts like if my heart was going to jump out my chest I got so scared I threw myself to the floor and just started praying to God for this to be over and like you it happens to me more when I'm ready for bed and these awful thoughts pop into my mind believe me you're not losing it there's a lot of ladies going through the same thing it's good to know we're not alone but I wish we didn't have to go through such a terrible time in our lives hopefully with God's help we'll get through this storm hope you get better soon sending you hugs.

• Posted

I often wake up like that in the night and sit upright with a racing heart and like I can't breathe. It takes me ages to calm back down and go back to sleep xx

• Posted

It's a scary moment isn't it i think I've gotten every symtom in menopause but this is by far the worst and spookiest i just want this to be over i miss my old self and so does my family best wishes to you sally hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you Marisol. When it first happened we were away for a weekend, I had such a feeling of dread, my husband brought me back home after one night as I was in such a state.
    • Posted

This happens to me alot when away from home now. It is making me not want to travel anywhere. But I love/loved travelling :-(
  • Posted

Yes anxiety is a big part of menopause for some I had in the mornings but it can happen anytime usually followed by a hot flash I always wonder why nature puts us through this when it is a time when we usually derserve a big break from child raising or just generally navigating life the flip side is that once it settles down life does seem more straight forward enjoy the simple things and cease the moment
    • Posted

Jane, its so not fair is it. I spoke to a couple of ladies at work yesterday, its amazìng to hear that they both suffered the same. Take care x

• Posted

Hi everyone

I'm 50 and missed my first period January, my anxiety and emotions are extremely high at the moment. I also feel as if I'm losing the plot. I'm tired all the time, can't be bothered, really stressed at work, forgetful and having bad thoughts, dreams. I'm trying to eat, drink healthier and probably need to exercise more. Is this the start of perimenopause? It's great to read all the comments and judging by everyone elses symptoms it seems to be, so glad I have someone to go through it with

• Posted

Yes, I feel the same. For a few last years I had maily physical symptoms, and when it got better, suddenly the psychical symptoms appeared. Today I had an panic attact in the evening, palpitation, feeling that something was wrong. It is terrible, I have no reason for panic attacts and bad feeling, my life is ok, I know that the hormones are the cause, but I simply do not know how to cope with.
  • Posted

I also have had a massive increase in anxiety since starting perimenopause & menopause. HRT really helped with mood swings but the anxiety & panic is still there. It comes & goes. And I guess I've always had it but it is definitely so much worse now. My life is getting smaller & smaller. Like you I have NOTHING real to worry about. I have visitors arriving today, best friends who l love but the thought of them seeing me in such a state makes me feel worse. I have started taking Zoloft for panic/anxiety but it hasn't kicked in yet. Menopause affects people in different ways & anxiety is definitely a symptom, you are not loosing the plot. I have tried lots of things to help & my favourite is reflexology. It really works. If only I could have it every day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.