Perimenopausal and Anxiety

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I am 52 and perimenopausal. I have been having a feeling of dread / anxiety / forboding for the last nine months. I have nothing to worry about in my life, no children and a great husband. Last Friday I felt like my heart was going to explode it was beating so fast on my way home from work. I normally have low blood pressure, but that night it was very high. Over the weekend it has come down. My worse time to get these symptoms is when I get into bed at night to sleep. Its like I am expecting something bad to happen. I have read anxiety is a symptom in the menopause. Please can you let me know I am not losing the plot. Thanks.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hear you. I am 46 and having an early menopause. It's been about 4 years and I have been taking HRT for nearly two, plus anti depressants. Physical symtoms have been minimal, few hot flushes. However anxiety and panic has been through the roof. Some days I really wish I could be locked up!  Like you, my life is very stress free. My kids are great, my husband supportive, good friends, good life. I am really hoping that one day I week up and this is all over and I can feel things, enjoy things and appreciate things again. I have done a lot of reading about anxiety and menopause and it is a very real thing. My mum told me that my grandmother barely left her house during her menopause. 

• Posted

Ahhh so bonkers I've only just realised that I have replied to this thread twice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.