Period Pain/Trapped Wind?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For a few days now, I've had a trapped wind/period pain around my pubic bone. I've had it before but everytime I get it, it gets me down and makes my anxiety soar.

For months my poor bowels have been upset. I've had mainly constipation, almost as if my digestion has gone on holiday and everything's slowed down. My piles are having a great time so I take Macrogol when needed.

I can't tell though if it's a period pain, (given how upside down my cycle is), or if it's more of a wind problem. It feels more period related though but it's hard to tell. Has anyone else had this or know what I'm talking about?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bugglybot, yes I had them. I was told to use a. cold compress or cold pack, or ice pack, and that seemed to take it away. Don't put the compress directly on your skin cover it then apply I did it for about 5-10minutes. It's inflammation as I recall, the compress should work.
    • Posted

Thanks patra. I daren't even bend forward in case it makes it worse. I did wonder if it was inflammation, at least now I could try the compress you've mentioned to see how that goes x.
  • Posted

Hi BugglyBot,

Yes I actually just had this a few days ago. I thought for sure I had a blockage of some sort (silly anxiety always creeps in when some new peri symptom shows up ) It was really uncomfortable and a little painful. Laying on my side or laying on my back with my feet up helped a little to free some of the trapped gas. I am fine now. I think all these crazy symptoms need to just go away very soon😊😊

Debbie

• Posted

It's not silly debbie at all, it's horrible and that is how it affects my anxiety too. I'm thinking of buying something that helps wind dissipate along with the compress that patra mentioned. It doesn't matter how many times you get something, (telling yourself afterwards to remember that next time you shouldn't panic), you still panic!! Our experiences here could write a best seller and stop other women feeling like they've gone mad. If only eh!
  • Posted

Yes i get the slow dijestion thing, lying flat makes that go after about 30 mins. dont get the trapped wind round the pubic bone,  but do get wind. i just drink plenty of water to help the constipation, it works for me.

You havent got a prolapse womb starting have you? or, do you have fibroids by any chance?? fibroids  tend to grow more during peri, then shrink when post if your lucky, but whilst they grow they can become too big, and put pressure on the cervix making the womb prolaps slightly, its only temporary until the fibroids shrink, do you feel when you walk as though something is gonna fall out, like your cervix has dilated,  it can be a sign, it happened to me, but when the fibroid shrunk it settled back thankfully, if you dont have any of these type of other symptoms, then just take it as another menopausal symtptom, as the bowels are definately affected, as muscles are during menopause.

• Posted

Elaine, you're right about the prolapse womb, I have that plus fibroids that makes this pain almost unbearable to want to move. It did help though to use the compress, as the muscles and fibroids can cause inflammation pain. My fibroids shrunk eventually, but it took a long time for the fibroid pain to subside. I also had inflammation of the ovary tube. For that I was given exercises to do.
    • Posted

Yes thats it exactly, pain is excrutiating, and i also had the inflammation, felt like my womb was on fire, all made worse by the menopause..........its never ending isnt it, next time i come im coming back as a MAN!! cripes if this was them, they would have a breakdown!!
    • Posted

I could give lying flat a go too and even though I thought I was drinking plenty of water, I've realised that I'm not drinking enough. The constipation worries me, (like so many other symptoms), so hopefully the water will do the trick.

I had an ultrasound a few years ago. I don't have fibroids and nothing was said about my womb. I do remember though when I was in labour with our youngest, the medical staff had problems giving me an internal and I've wondered about a tilted womb before. I may still ask about this.

I worry a lot about my bowels, even though they've had a mind of their own for years. With all the scary things out there, it's enough to drive you insane. Our poor bodies are pulled from one direction to another. Thanks Elaine.

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I have an enlarged uterus with a ton of fibroids. I have the trapped gas plus pelvic lower abdominal lower back rectal hip groin and leg pain. I have had numerous MRIs ct scans and ultrasounds no prolapse. Just aggravating pain off an on a lot. So everything shrunk for you eventually? That gives me hope as I'm trying to avoid hysterectomy. Sometimes I think I might have a hernia? I don't know. Just knowing yours shrank is a good sign. Did yours take a long time? I have been struggling with this for two years now

Debbie

• Posted

Hi patra,

Do just like you and Elaine I have enlarged uterus with a ton of fibroids. Sometimes the pain can be unbelievable, my uterus is also retroflexed and sits right on my spine and lower back. Pelvic, abdominal, groin, lower back and hip pain, looks like yours eventually shrank though. What did you take to handle the pain and inflammation flare ups? When I get the upset stomach and tapped gas it makes everything so much worse and painful. I am trying to make it to menopause without hysterectomy I hopes that all will shrink, when I have pain like I do today I am not sure I can make it to menopause without hysterectomy.

Debbie

• Posted

My womb also started kicking off during peri, but i knew what it was,  I was in peri for 8 years, from 2006/7, think that was because i was on a 6 weeks cycle so took me longer for my periods to stop, although 8 years, isnt unusual in itself to be in peri, just unlucky.

Unfortunately, during peri and as a direct result of being in it, it did cause problems with one out of three, fibroids, i managed to stave off the hysterectomy, but things became so bad, i had to leave my job, so, my problems started in 2007 like your having now, and then came to ahead in October 2012, so, it took 5 years to get to that, i couldnt walk without pain, and i bled,  i had inflammation from my womb up to my chin so became dehydrated, and felt very poorly, so, left work in Feb 2013 as a result, was monitored by the hospital until June 2013, and because the fibroid had settled and had started to shrink, i was disharged................yeah........... did it!!............no probs since..

Hormones along with inflammation aggravate fibroids, so walking, bending, standing, and lifting, all become a problem sometimes, during peri, and thats why your having flare ups, in both your wombs, and inturn, if you start to get problems with a fibroid like i did, it makes your peri symptoms worse, cant win can we girls viscious circle.

If you have both had children, i would liken the pain in my womb initially , with having the fibroids, during peri to, when your babies head has engaged ready to give birth,  so when walking, its heavy, and painful on your pubic bone, but when you sit it eases, so, when a fibroid becomes too big for the womb, it can then press on the pubic bone in the same way, if things come to ahead for you, like they did me, it can also due to the sheer weight of the thing, cause a temporary prolapse, which, does go back on its own, after the fibroid settles, and shrinks back altogether, i was just unlucky with 1 out of 3 going off a bit a bit literally, as the fibroid became necrotic, so, not bad.

There are different types of fibroids, mine was the type that grew on the womb and gets bigger,and there is another type, that grows on a stalk, and this one can herniate i think!!

• Posted

Elaine Thank you so much for all the wonderful information you gave me. I'm so sorry for all that you had to go through. I can't believe what we have to endure due to perimenopause and what the imbalance of hormones does physically to our bodies. I'm so glad you came through and are okay now. I felt so hopeless this morning, but after everything you shared with me I now have hope that this won't last forever. I'm so glad you are doing okay. Did you notice that certain foods also bothered the fibroids and caused inflammation? You are so very right about these problems with our wombs make all the other peri menopausal symptoms so much worse. Thank you again Elaine for sharing 😊

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Your very welcome, good job we have all got one another, because drs are useless................ha

And its great ive given you hope, but  when you think about the menopause logically, and how hormones work,  it cant stay as bad, can it, once you have stopped your periods, Whilst everything feels likes its coming to ahead, it dies down, and you realise then well, what else can it do!! pity we have to go through all that stress before we realise, but its the drs, that, from the start dont help, its  through their incompetence, and the trust you put in them, that keeps you thinking, oh my god......... whats wrong with me then if its not the menopause, it would save us a couple of years  of stress wouldnt it!!

No foods, didnt trigger the fibroids off worse in me, did trigger the inffammation though, curry and spices,  but i love all that,...........ha i was reading up on that the other day, because you cant take ibuprofen long term, so, was thinking of trying anti inflammatory foods, will get back to you on that one.

I tell you something i did try to help shrink the fibroids, caster oil, you can only buy it on the internet nowadays, not available in the shops anymore, very cheap so, bought a big bottle, i soaked it on a muslim square, or, anything that will soak it up, warmed it first, but not hot with it being oil, as could be flammable, and then rested it on my womb, i also tried chaste berry, foul tasting stuff, and whilst the fibroid did shrink, was it those two, or, declining hormones, dont know!!

Best wishes Debbie 

• Posted

Hi debbie

Just wanted to follow on with your concerns over fibroids............i have been reading up on fibroids and gas, and it says, that, it is more likely to be, that IF the fibriods are large and growing, that obviously will extend the womb upwards, pushing against bowels and bladder then if they , contain gas the womb wil lthen push up against them  causing the pain, rather than the other way round if that makes sense, it goes on to say, just to get fibroids checked out for size, like ive said.  T

The fact that you havent mentioned bleeding debbie, is a good sign, when that starts to happen, then you need to rest, and get it checked by your drs, again doesnt mean anything serious, except there getting bigger, drs will only do hysterectomy nowdays, in England anyway, if, bleeding and pain gets worse, as your not at that stage at the moment, and may not get to that stage, focus on controlling  both growth and inflammation in the meantime, will get back on inflammatory foods for you.

• Posted

I certainly get the trapped wind. I have enough wind to move a boat. My digestion has gotten rather slow to. I get sharp pains around my pubic bone, dont know if its the menses or gas. I take ibuprofen if it gets too painful.
    • Posted

Lol, me too. I come from a 'windy' family anyway but when it's trapped, it can be so painful. My digestion has always been reasonable but it certainly seems to have slowed down. i get the sharp pains too, and in other areas. Some of them make me jolt in shock. I've got the Ibuprofen handy so I'll take one of those if need be. Liver salts are good for dispersing gas too..I'll get some of that in too. Cheers jamie.
    • Posted

Didn't know about the liver salts. I will try that. My wind has gotten ridiculous. So many things with my body has changed and it seemed to have happened so suddenly. It's all just nerve wrecking.
    • Posted

Yes the liver salts definitely work. I would burp or blow like a navvy sometimes but it helped shift it. I'd use a teaspoon, maybe a little more in a small glass, stir it up and drink it. If you try it, just make sure you don't overdo it as it has a laxative affect. I need to buy some more in to see if this helps me now. I totally agree with the nerve wrecking. We just want to feel right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.