Polycythemia Vera rubra

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there

ive been diagnosed with pcv 2 years ago and altho i suffer from the normal side effects like fatigue vision problems and so on.

however the itching is the worst i wonder if any fellow sufferer's have any ideas on how to stop it, an American woman mentioned protein powder before a bath or shower but im not sure so if any ideas please get in touch.

Tony

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tony

Try the Gastro Resistant Asprin 75mg I was on this and then got told I didn't need it but the itching got really bad so I decided to go back on it which really helped it doesn't stop totally but loads better

Glenn

• Posted

Hello tony,

I stopped taking showers, which brought on the itching, and started to take baths instead. I read that if you add about a dessertspoon of baking soda to the bathwater, as it's running in, it helps.

I found that it does.

• Posted

Thanks Angela

unfortunately i can't stand baths due to being the oldest of ten and having to share a tin bath with my siblings lol but thanks for the advice

Tony

• Posted

Lucky you, being the oldest.

I was the youngest..... 😃

• Posted

unfortunately having the boilingwater poured from the kettle to warmthe bath up is a hazard i dont want to face again ha ha

by the way uin the uk or the us

Tony

• Posted

i live at north anston now although im from Sheffield originally youlive ina lovely place which i visit loads.

ive been diagnosed with the pcv for over 2 years now i hopeyou are in good health

Tony

• Posted

SITHEE!

North Anston!

North Anston's not bad either. 😃

My dad, many years ago, organised the bin men's rotas for North Anston and round that way. He used to come home with some funny stories about bin men and their work. 😃

I got diagnosed in spring 2016. Been on aspirin and venesections ever since. Should be on the old hydroxycarbamide but I refuse. So far, so good, But I can't wait for my next venesection. Feet are fizzing like mad!

• Posted

Hi Angela

the binmen round here are rubbish so we no who to blame now ,only kidding lol.

i had to stop with venasection as my blood pressure used todrop do im taking the cancer drug. my right ankle is itching so bad i could cut it off lol .

i go to rotherham for my treatment due again in 3 weeks anyway stay healthy good to chat

Tony

• Posted

I go to Chesterfield. A lovely lot.

Stay as well as you can. All the best.

• Edited

Beta Alanine. It has saved many sufferers from this plague (my name for it). I take it first thing in a morning and then 12 hours later. It does not not stop mine but it certainly helps. Showering is still a nightmare but mine was never restricted to water.

Others claim it stops it altogether.

• Posted

Thanks john

i will certainly give that a try and thanks very much for the tip

Tony

• Edited

hi john

thanks for the tip i take it everyday itchings a lot better and showering is a lot better many thanks

tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.