Recent Haemorrhoidectomy operation 4 days pre operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I have recently just had an haemorrhoidectomy procedure, and i am at my wits end, the pain and burning is horrendous, i have had 2 BM which the first was fear stricken, which i just about copped with.i am using the bath to sit in hot water, and also pouring cold water over my sore area, how long does this procedure take to calm down and see improvement, i am on day 4 , Thanks Neil 54 uk

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Edited

sorry to hear, but you've go a way to go yet.

The first 10-14 days are the worst.

Sitz baths 3-4 times per day, as you're doing is the best relief.

Read through some of the posts on this site to get an idea of what you're in for and some tips .

• Edited

Hi Niel,

Sorry to hear about the pain - please contact your medical provider for the adequate pain relief - if the UK it should be 60 mg Codeine plus 500 mg Paracetamol every 8 hours. I was prescribed it (Ibuprophen doesn't do and is slowing down wounds healing).

Keep stool softeners!

You will be better soon and will forget about the pain with a new NORMAL life without haemorrhoids. Look at the other suggestions, the forum is brilliant.

Best of health, and wish you a speedy recovery!

• Edited

Hello Eli, thanks for your reply and advice, this forum certainly is a brilliant thing, and people only no the severity of this operation after going through it, im seeing a slight improvement until i do a BM then the vengence is back, then im back in a dark place again.

TC Neil

• Edited

Hang in there! It gets better...2 weeks seems like an eternity when you're dealing with pain, but it eases up from there on in. You're over the biggest hurdle...that first bowel movement. This is a long healing process. Your body heals in its own time, but it does heal. There will be ups and downs. This aint easy and only those who have been through it can sympathise. Get wheat heat packs for when you are in bed or on the sofa, and sit in a warm bath. Drink 2.5l of water a day and keep with the stool softeners! You need soft stools. Allow for the fact this op typically takes a up to six weeks to feel yourself again...only better! That is no time in the scheme of your whole lifetime, and given the freedom you'll gain 😃

• Edited

just an update, in the early hrs of sunday morning, 01:15 i woke with pain i can only describe as out of 10 as 15, it was horrendous, burning , pulsating throbbing, i took a mild bath, nothing, i had taken tablets at 11pm, they were doing nothing, so out if sheer desperation i went to my local hospitals A&E, i got there at 02:30, i thought i had a thrombosis on the outside, i told them when i first arrived i thought it was that, some 10 hrs later and 5 shots of morphine and other canular meds i see a junior doctor, to get told yes i think you have a thrombosis, well after another 2 hrs and seeing another doctor, they have said its not, but ive had no movicol for 13 hrs, but morphine, which causes constipation, i get put up on a ward at 4 pm, where i go to do a BM and im constipated and in agony, the pushing sensation is unbearable, i cant stop, and i push out 2 stitched up haemorrhoids, no im in bits, and so upset, to top this, i now cant urinate, and there going to put in a catheter if i dont, well after loads of pressure to urinate, i do go, but its stop and go, the night in hospital wasnt to bad, but in the morning pain behond belief again, more pankillers,i had movicol on the ward, 3 timed i BM, it was awful pain, and burning in penis, stopping me urinate, again, they want me to urinate, or catheter, i said the pain in my rear was effecting me urinate, eventually i did pee, i am now home and in bed, drugged up, on movicol, and now tablets to relax me to urinate, i am now urinating so good ill be world champion, Doctor at the hospital, said i will probably need another operation, i can honestly say i have had enough. the pain since 4pm, its now 8pm has been a 5 out of 10, no bowl movements, which i'm grateful for.

TC Neil

• Edited

Mate,

I'm so sorry to hear of you're problems, it seems the surgeons always understate the pain and problems in recovery.

I've had two surgeries and two colonoscopies in the past four months and I'm still having problems.

You've just got to tough it out - it will get better and the pain will ease.

If you have to, keep going back to your surgeon or GP.

Don't give up, and try to stay positive.

• Edited

I am so sorry to learn this. Truly feel for you. This surgery is a nightmare to navigate because of the fact we have to keep using our bowels and its rarely a straight forward path to healing. Only those going through it can understand the suffering. The intense pain is exhausting and I am sure you feel completely worn down right now. Rooting for you. Keep strong. You will get through this and you will get your life back on track and be pain free. Glad to hear you're home . Rest up. I hope you can see a colorectal surgeon for advice. They will know much more than a general doctor in A&E - as wonderful as those doctors are. If you had stitched up haemorrhoids that popped during straining, sounds like you may have had the Halo-RAR or THD procedure and not a traditional haemorrhoidectomy (cutting out and removal of your piles)? Either way, its bloody painful.

• Edited

Hello Ian, thanks for your message, i am now seeing a very slight improvement, but as soon as i have a BM its back with a vengence and its making the haemorrhoid that came back out sour as hell, i think i have the pain relief and laxatives just right, im just laying in bed with the blanket on, trying to ride it out, i honestly dread the thought of a 2nd operation and cutting them out, which i have been told is more painful than the stitching operation ive had, but i did think my surgeon had cut and stitched this time, with cutting the internal ones, and stitching back up the external ones, i wish id never had it done, but my bleeding for the last 4 months had been severe so something had to come to a head.

nice chatting to you.

Neil

• Edited

Hello Lou, yes feeling worn down is right, and also as a man to be crying because of the pain, makes you feel awful with not being able to handle it, its been a truly dark few days, yesterday the pain did ease up a little and i thought great, a slight improvement, but this morning doing a BM its back with a vengence, when people cant see or feel your pain your going through, they really dont realise just how bad it is, this pain is unspeakable, because its in your rear, and everything you feel, walking, sitting, laying, let alone a bm, you really only understand when youve been through the operation, im certain the aftercare should be better, much better. i was given a box of tablets, laxatives and a sheet of info from a robot. as for another operation, i honestly dont think i could handle it, if its cutting them out, and if i havent had that done this time, then ill be devastated.

thanks for the chat and advice.

Neil

• Edited

I feel you Neil, believe me. I too cried many times the last few weeks. There's no shame in that. Crying is a way to cope with what the body is going through. It's no exaggeration to say the pain I felt was akin to childbirth! I totally get how being a man, you feel you should be able to handle yourself but do not beat yourself up. You are currently battling through something that requires all your inner mental fight. Pain brings us all to our knees. You are not alone in your fear. Today I found out that I might require a second surgery down the line depending on how well I heal from here on in. It is a terrifying prospect. This surgery is traumatic both physically and mentally. It leaves scars. I am sorry you are suffering. There will be good days and bad with your bm's. You are healing. Tomorrow is a new day and from day 10 to 14, it starts to ease a little. It sounds like your surgeon did the right thing by you, stitching up the eternal haemorrhoids and removing the internal ones. This is because the chances of leaving you with something worse such as incontinence, are less with the eternal ones this way. Looks like you had both types of procedure in one go. It can be done. And if so, hopefully a follow up procedure should not be as extensive as the surgery you have had done this time. You certainly have been through the ringer. You will heal. Just hang in there! And definitely the aftercare advice is lacking. Agree! As well as the before care in fact, too. I had to get tips from people on here and from youtube. Those who have been through the suffering first hand and know what actually worked!

Thanks for the chat too. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Lou

Thanks for your message, it certainly was a moral boosting read, so grateful for that, yesterday was again slightly a better day , but its after any bm that causes reality to come flooding back, then its a good hour for it to settle again, i dont no about you Lou, but in the night, i can be in a comfortable position for a good hour, then the slightest tensing of mussels around my operated area, and its this horrible spasm that goes through me, well its the morning now here, ive past a bm and its still tough going, with the feeling of passing acid, and this constant feeling of needing to push, even though im loose, but now the after effects from the bm are around 30 mins, how longs it been since youve had your operation Lou, a second operation doesnt sound good, hopefully you wont need it. and that your operation is settling down for you, TC Neil UK

• Edited

Hiya Neil

I too am in the UK, London.

Really pleased to know you are noticing progress slowly. This area takes so long to heal and days can't go quick enough can they? I hate wishing my life away...but I have this year! ha ha.

I am 4.5 weeks post surgery. I had halo-rar which is stitches right up and round the rectum - ouch! My surgeon told me yesterday I had about as bad as it can get for an external heamorrhoid prolapse, so this was never gonna be a smooth run. He also told me I am actually doing brilliantly for what we are trying to achieve. It's just in order to cause the least damage to my rectum and stop more serious issues as a result, I have had to shoot for the best first time around, but face the idea that I may need a second surgery just to give me the best possible out come for my particular case. I am in my 40's so I am still young. I am focused on getting another 40 years of life prolapse free! So i suppose more suffering may be worth it, but it will all be weighed up carefully because none has rectal surgery and comes away with a model bottom, lol. I experienced the same as you. Body shock after every bm and a good two hours of burning, throbbing, stinging, stabbing etc. Felt like someone was sticking a knife in at times. That pressure too before every bowel movement. It's something else! BUT it is doable. You are proof it is! So am I. We are healing and we gotta do what we gotta do.

I am still feeling swelling inside, although not in pain now. Just more dull ache and throbbing at times. I'm not fully healed yet and I have been told to wait another 5 weeks before I will know what else needs to be done. I have a skin tag and lump inside that's formed during healing. I got a feeling one of my piles refuses to die! However, I am vastly improved. Life even now is ten times better than life pre-op. I was past the point of no return so there is no room for regrets. And I tell you something...don't you regret your decision either. Leaving these b***** and putting off dealing with them, only kicks the ball down the road. Then you may have had even worse issues. You did what was right. It's just this is not a simple health issue to deal with.

Lou x

• Posted

1. hi Lou, nightmare isn't it, anyone reading your reply, will take a lot of faith out if it, i just did, i'm 54, and have had this piles, haemorrhoids issue for a good 10 yrs, which started with external lumps, but they didn't cause me grief after a while, so just became part of me, but i had a lot of bleeding over the years, i just put that down to being part of it, so i put up with it, never nice but i got used to seeing blood, but the last 6 months ive seen a major change, bleeding for 3 weeks out of 4, at least 3-4 times a day, and aching up inside, aching in bed down my legs, having problems urinating, so my doctor really gave me no other option but to have the operation, so i was quite happy getting it done, my doctor is great, very caring, and told me from day, that this operation is severely painful, but you can never fully understand how severe, until you have had it done, now im 9 days in, it has calmed down, but i strained when i was at A&E after being on morphine and no laxatives, and ive caused this lump to form outside, and it really upset me, that is formed, they said at A&E its not a thrombosis, but i will need another operationn like you, and it sickens me, thinking ive got to go through all this again. i hope the lump calms down soon, as its excrutiating when i have a bm, if it calms, and just stays outside, im happy to live with it, i am slightly bleeding when im having a bm, is that normal, its just on the wet wipe, now down the pan, well again its great to talk, and i really hope yours settles better, your 4.5 weeks in, christ. its a long process isnt it, like you im wishing days away, ive been in bed the whole time, other then my visit to A&E early hours if Sunday morning, if i get out of bed, walk to the toilet or stagger downstairs then back up im done in. well you tc,

Neil - Southampton

• Posted

How lovely, I am really happy my words help. Thank you for your kind words, they really help me too. We are all in this together unfortunately - no matter when in time someone reads this thread.

You definitely made the right decision about your health. Doctors don't put people through this surgery lightly and it sounds like you got yourself a good one. You are in a great part of the country with a fantastic hospital. I am sure your care has been great. It is one of those things and to be honest, I have read other people say they developed external haemorrhoids after surgery. It happens because the whole area is so inflamed and red raw anyway. Straining or no straining. It is just so frustrating to go through this surgery only to discover it hasn't fixed all our problems in one go. It is depressing actually, but we all must stay focused on the fact despite the pain, we can have better health at the end of it all. (Something a lot of people in this world are denied because they have life threatening conditions). I am keeping my fingers crossed that your external lump shrinks naturally. It absolutely can if it is not thrombosed, That is good news just there! Perhaps once you are out of the worst of it, you may feel strong enough to finish the job started. You have come this far and you are young still. There is lots of life ahead. Day 10 for you tomorrow! Nearly two weeks. Wont be long before you are through the worst. I was the same btw - not out of bed before two weeks. Did zero on the sofa at three weeks, weak and shaky. Started to sit up for short periods of time at four weeks. Went out today for the first time for a couple of hours at 4.5 weeks and pain free 😃. What a mile stone! Small victories. I am sure you have a small victory of your own today too. TC

Lou x

• Edited

hi Lou,

another very heart warming message 🙂 your exactly right some people have much more serious issues to deal with and we are lucky its just this one, and other people in less well off countries have no chance of this operation, im really pleased to hear that you went out today for the first time in weeks, that's great. and pain free 👍👍 i can't wait to be pain free, my pain has eased up slightly again today, so i am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but im not gonna to rush things and go backwards. hopefully now i can get a good nights sleep, and have no spasms go right through me,

TC Neil

• Posted

I have thought exactly the same...how do people around the world who do not have access to treatment, live with the misery of piles and the incapacity it brings eventually? And thank goodness there are individuals who dedicate their lives to helping people like you and me. Not a job I'd like, being a colorectal surgeon. They must have nerves of steel knowing the risks involved with conducting this type of surgery. I am starting to wrap my mind around the realisation I am probably going to have to go back in for a second round of surgery to complete the job to its best result. I am dreading it and having this worry hang over me now is further suffering in itself. So I can only focus on reminding myself others do have much worse and that I will heal eventually and have a brighter future than i would have had, if I did not bite the bullet and endure the pain. Not to negate the suffering involved with with this condition. Wouldn't wish this on anyone! More comfortable nights are definitely ahead for you! Sounds like you are healing well. The human body is amazing.

And...thank you Neil for being the person I could chat to about all this. You have helped me more than you realise. Here's to a good day ahead for us both!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.