Resecting the median lobe and Urolift

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I have a large median lobe and a prostate of 57 cc. I have seen two urologists that say that in order to do the Urolift I have to resect the median lobe by Turp and then they would proceed to do the urolift. One of them says that when they resect the median lobe, I would not get Retrogade Ejaculation because it is not part of the prostate sphincter and therefore it is safe. The other urologist says that there is no guarantee and I may have retro after the median lobe resect. He also said that the Urolift does not guarantee that you will not get retro and there is a  between 2 and 5 % chance of retro. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would like to hear from someone who did the median lobe resect and the urolift. Thanks

Patrick

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you looked into prostatic arterial embolization (PAE)? There is no chance of RE, impotence, or incontinence with that procedure.
    • Posted

Mike,

Dr. Isaacson told me that there is a chance of impotence with the PAE - i think because the embospheres could get in the seminal vesicle.

• Posted

I have not had resection, but I had a large median lobe and a large prostate size of 130g. I had the PAE procedure and it worked wonderfully Inspite of median lobe and large prostate.  No pain, no bleeding, no sexual side effects, great urinary recovery.
    • Posted

HI William

I recently had a PAE procedure with Dr Bagla.  I also have a large median lobe and there seems to be mixed results with this condition.  May I ask you how long after the procedure did you start experiencing results?  It's been nearly 4 weeks for me, my conditon worsened and now its back to where I was before the procedure. I get somewhat anxious when I read other experiences that have reported improvements within a couple weeks.  I still have some swelling in my groin area, so I'm guessing this is part of the necrosis and healing process.

Thanks!

• Posted

Alex,

i was was very lucky. I began to see results within a week. I had continued to see improvement of several months, but I can honestly say I saw the greatest improvement within several weeks. I continue to have great results now after a year. There seems to be many factors which affect BPH symptoms including just bladder function in general. If all is working well with the bladder and the BPH is primarily a result of prostate size then results are better and generally happen sooner. Several people have commented that it took longer for their results and a few just did not get relief at all. I hope that yours will improve over time.

• Posted

Hi Willaim...I also have a median lobe ruining my life, I must do something soon but still gaining knowledge, may I ask did you before your opp have incontinence and what about afterwards?also any issues since your opp?also if you could reverse time what option might you consider and why, many thanks Brian.
  • Posted

Patrick you have to research. Anytime they do a Turp retrograde Ejaculation is a given That is one of the side effects. With the urolift no side effects no cutting of the prostate. I just read some information. That they can do a urolift when the prostate is 20 cc to 100cc. The bigger it is the more implates they have to put in. I had mine done 7 weeks ago I'm fine.It worked great. Don't remember the cc of the prostate but it was the size of a lemon Put in 4 implants. If I were you I would tell them that you like to try the urolift first before thay start cutting away once they do the side effects are for ever. Ken Any question just e-mail me
  • Posted

Patrick;  Iam having the "Urolift" on tuesday morning the 23rd of June.  Once I have had a few days to recover I will start a post and tell everyone what the "whole experience" was like and talk about the recovery time, etc.  I have not heard of a  2% to 5% chance of retro from this procedure.  That seems a little strange since there is "no cutting" involved.  All they are really doing is just "rearranging things a little".
  • Posted

Pat what Chuck is saying is true. Look up the Urolift procedure there are no side effects. You looking for side effects have a Turp. Don't let them cut you. I would either tell them you would like to try the urolift first and if they say no I would get a diffrent urologist. It's your decision to make. And why have something done that you may not need. Also Chuck had a PAE done and it did not work for him. Ken
  • Posted

Hi if you are from Europe then I would try the Memokath. The only solution which are 100 percent reversible. So if you are not satisfied then you can always get it removed and the insertion is also easy no need for anesthesia or resection before. By far the most safe procedure regarding BPH.
    • Posted

Hi Casper

I am not in Europe. I am in North America. Here the Urolift costs around $10000 USD. I had never heard of the Memokath before. How much does in cost in Europe?

This is a really great forum and we can hear of dirrent types of procedures in regards to BPH.

• Posted

Hi yes indeed it js a great forum -smile it costs around 2000 dollars and has a great track record. Guess urolift is that expensive because full anesthesia.
    • Posted

Casper and other men on here. I have been reading about The Memokath procedure.  It is use mostly for urethral stricture but can be used to open the prostate.  For short term only. If you have it in to long you can have ingrowth of the tissue.  It would have to be removed before it could cause you more problem.  Just be careful over there in the UK or in US.  This has nothing to do with the prostate but I read this while I was looking at some of the procedures  I came across this  In a Liverpool hospital a man went in to the hospital for a simple urology procedure and when he woke up they gave him a vasectomy.  He was p*ssed I think I read in was in his early 30.  What is going on with the hospitals.  Please guys if you do go in for a procedure make sure it's the right one with no surprize.  Take care  Ken     

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the comment saying this happened frequently in this hospital as that is not true. This was an isolated case and the figures you were quoting were for the whole NHS and not just in regards to uro procedures. Please do not misquote these types of stories which can cause unnecessary concern for other users.

• Posted

Hi - I have read this conversation and have some comments I would like to add regarding Memokath as the information is wrong and I think that all facts have to be correct so it is possible to take a decision based on correct data. Memokath consist of stents to different places in the urinary tract, and there is a speciel Memokath to the prostate. The design is made so tissue in-growth is not possible. It can always be removed if needed, even after several years and no harm is done at all and no materiel is left in-side the body. Whereas when you need to remove the Urolift the metal achors always will remain in the body, as they cannot be removed. The Memokath is the best documented BPH treatment of its kind as it has been available for many years and in many countries.Despite many Memokath are inserted there hasn't been reported any serious side effects. Unlike Urolift which has limited evidence because its limited time in the market.

Take care - the sister  

• Posted

I will look for the sites that I read that information There were 2 of them that said the same thing about the ingrouth of the tissue.  Short term only  But I think its better then having your prostate cut away at.  If you don't have to have that   Ken
    • Posted

I will look forward to read it. Previously prostate stents had huge issues with tissue in-growth. But as written not the Memokath becaus of its design - I think they learned from the others.

Barra wink

• Posted

The other day I was looking up the memokath stents.  I read 2 articles that said that it can be use but for short term because after a while you have to deal with tissue in-growth  will research more  Ken 
    • Posted

Looks like the Memokath is quite a good alternative for BPH problems. As time goes on they will keep on improving the procedure. But does anyone know if they do it in the US or Canada? I don't seem to see it being done anywhere in North America. Is it done only in Europe for now? Has anyone in this forum done this procedure and willing to share his experience?
    • Posted

I'm not sure, but I think that you are reading about another prostate stent. The design of Memokath is made so tissue in-growth is more or less impossible. I have tried to google it and so many articles appear, and those I have read emphasize that Memokath unlike other stents NOT have tissue in-growth, because of it design.
    • Posted

I will look it up again. The 2 articles were om the same page  I will let you know   Ken 
    • Posted

Good morning.  I found one of the articles.  I read it wrong.  When I put in Memokath it explains the Memokath Stent but in the same article thay talk about the Urolume Stent. That is the one they are having a problem with.  At 3am I did not see the cutoff of the 2.  Thank you and I'm sorry  Ken   
    • Posted

Good morning :-) Great that you discovered the huge difference on those two stents. As far as I know is the Urolumen no longer manufactored.
    • Posted

God morning  Yes I was glad that I took another look. The piece that read kinda read all together It was 3AM when I read it. Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.