Rubber Band Ligation!

Posted , 33 users are following.

I just underwent my first rubber band ligation for one of three internal hemorrhoids this morning. I've seen some horror stories on this site, and I want to offer my experience as it's been quite well. The procedure went smoothly, my Dr. applied lidocaine and jelly and put the band on. I felt it and it was slightly painful for a second, but after that I was fine. I did have some burning for about an hour or so after the procedure but I believe it was due to the lidocaine. Either that or it's the hemorrhoid and the Tylenol I took just took the pain away. Anyways, I am about 2 and a half hours after the procedure now and I feel fine. I am lying down for the rest of the day and eating a lot of fiber and drinking lots of water. I honestly was terrified this morning because I've read so many bad things about this procedure but all in all my experience is a 9/10 so far. I had the CRH-OREGAN disposable hemorrhoid banding procedure. I highly recommend this for anyone that has it available to them. I have not had a bowel movement yet but I honestly don't feel it's going to be an issue because I don't feel any pain right now. I will keep updating this thread as I go.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi , thanks for sharing. I had banding done Tues. Same thing, CRH O'Regan.. this was my second banding. Had the first one a couple weeks ago. I had more discomfort with this most recent one, I think because of where it's located (near the back area instead of side). I'm hoping this will be my last one, but never can be sure. With the CRH method it says patients usually need 3 treatments. I'm wondering why that is.. do you have 3 hemorrhoids to treat?

Take care! If you have any questions let me know

• Edited

Hi CarissaD216 😃 Just wanted to ask since you've done first round of banding already a few weeks back... Did you see or feel the bands fall off after a while for the hemorrhoids that dried out? I just did my second round of banding for two hemorrhoids after my first round a month ago - I saw one band fell off after a day or two, but but there was a dull ache ever since - I suspected that the one hemorrhoid that was banded was really close to some sensitive area. It was achy till a few days ago!

So about 3 weeks later (now), I started experiencing some bleeding again and a tiny bit of stinging pain! Not sure if the second round of banding didn't work or if it's because of a fissure or maybe it's just the hemorrhoid falling off... 😦 What is it even like when a hemorrhoid dries out and falls off!?

Anyway I just wanted to hear what your experience was like! 😃 Thanks!!!

• Posted

hello. I just had rubber band ligation done yesterday, December 14, 2021. I also had it done in May 20 20 and have not had any problems until now. My concern is last night I had diarrhea and I’m pretty sure I saw the rubber band in the stool. (its only been six hours since the banding) The good thing is I had no blood in the stool this morning so maybe I’m OK. I’m going to call my doctor this morning. Hope I don’t have to go in. How are you doing?

Sharen

• Posted

Hi Carissa, please let me know how you are getting on? i am in a similar place to you right now and would be interested to hear how you got on? thanks very much

• Edited

Nice, it's honestly going to be so worth it getting them taken care of now instead of allowing them to get worse. Yes it usually takes three different procedures and my Dr. told me the reason is that there are three walls that supply blood to the hemorrhoids, and they have to cut each one off one at a time. I have three, so I also have to have three. I'm very thankful this was an option to me though rather than having a hemorrhoidectomy. I have heard that is one of the most painful surgeries there are.

• Posted

Thank you for clearing that up. Maybe I'm not done then after this hemorrhoid. Where are yours located ? Mine are one left on the side, one kind of in back . I'm hoping if I don't have 3 procedures they can easily come back. 😖

Not sure how it works .

• Posted

Hi again , did your doctor tell you around where the 3 walls are that supply blood to hemorrhoids?

• Posted

I got a lot of info from my Dr. in a packet. I'm not exactly sure where they are but I know one is in the back because it poked out for a little bit and then it went back in. The packet stated that as long as you eat well lots of fiber and water every single day, they will not return. A big cause is people eating a lot of foods that have little to no fiber and not drinking water at all. This leads to hard stool that requires straining to pass which in turn leads to hemorrhoids. I want to ask my doctor if I can still eat other foods but include fiber supplements and eat fiber rich foods alongside other foods. I feel that would also be effective in making bowel movements easier. That and drinking tons and tons of water. I literally bought 10 cases of dasani yesterday so I'd have them after my procedure. I hate tap water lol and also 3 hours later I am feeling no pain! I took two Tylenol about 5 hours ago and that is it. These procedures can go well apparently and I'm happy to share my experience with others so they can have peace of mind and know that it's not always so bad. Drink lots of water! Eat lots of fiber!

• Posted

Yep, I've been drinking lots more water too. Your first BM shouldn't be too bad, a little uncomfortable but better each day.

• Edited

Thats awesome. Just out of curiosity how long did it take for your first one to fall off after banding? I just would like to know what to expect as far as that goes. My packet says anywhere after 48 hrs of the procedure.

• Posted

My doc predicted I wouldn't notice and he was right. I THINK it took about a week because I didn't feel that "tug throb" feeling after about 8 days. I didn't have blood .

Do your internal hemorrhoids leak mucus (clear)? That's what I've been dealing with even before the bands, hopefully will end soon.

• Posted

I have a question for those of you that had this procedure. What exactly prompted you to see the doctor in the first place? Were you in pain? Was it a daily occurrence? I'm just curious about symptoms that lead people to going in to get it looked at and taken care of. I had an external hem about a year ago and since then, I've had mild symptoms on and off that are mostly just tenderness that dies down but never the thrombosed issue that I had that first time a year back. Sometimes it's gone entirely for a while then creeps back in a week or two later. No blood, no pain as such, no constipation. Not sure if I should just get on with my life and count my lucky stars that it's not worse, or get it looked at and diagnosed. Thank you!

• Edited

monkeyboy84, What prompted me.. I was always uncomfortable. Never felt like myself. Swelling after each bm, mucus leaking, irritation and pain off and on. This went on for months. It was affecting my life and my family. I eventually realized I wasn't going to heal on my own.

• Edited

I have had a very minor amount of blood the first time I had a bowel movement but wasn't much at all. Its been about 24 hrs since the procedure and I still feel pretty decent. They hurt after bowel movements but that was happening before the band. Yeah mine leak mucus too. Completely normal. I actually had it happen this morning felt like I had to go but only mucus came out. Packet said if I try to go and no stool comes out just to try again later. I bet you are super excited as you will only have one left after this one!!! 😀

• Edited

I had banding on 2 on June 12 , on the 16 or 17 the bands fell off. or at least i saw 3. After bands fall off there will be increased blood after bm. And subsequently after the healing starts if you pass anything hard or straining expect more blood. Im just now feeling like the inside is about 90% healed. Im not straining. The unfortunate issue is with leaking,you get irrigation. I was told to use baenoal , but ended up using A&D ointment and seemed to work. My issue was a few times i strained and had gotten a bit of constipation. Which caused myself to re aggravate the area. Hopefully have that under control now. I also noticed that after the banding everything was tight down there, as before any straining would cause a slight bulge (external). Was gone for the first few weeks. Then afterwards i notice a very slight area, same as where the banding was done that looks almost like a small thrombosis,that almost immediately disappears. Its a process, and everyone heals different. HEMORRHOIDS SUCK!

• Posted

Jnf, I forgot to ask.. do you know if you had the CRH O'Regan disposable banding done?

• Edited

Hi Jnf123! Just wondering, how did you know the hemorrhoids are dried out and have fallen off?

I did my second round of banding for two hemorrhoids and a day or two after the banding session, I saw one band after BM. Right now, 3 weeks (ish) after the second round of banding, I had some bleeding again (toilet paper + in the toilet bowl after BM) and stinging/burning sensation. I can't even tell if it's because it's finally fallen off or if it's still there and causing issues or if I have another fissure. Should I have been able to see it in the toilet if it'd fallen off!?! Hmmm....

So anyway I'd like to know what your experience was like! 😃 Thanks!!

• Edited

Well...i was neurotic... searching the bowl😆. The bands are so small if your not familiar, you'd think they were just another part of the bm. The stinging sensation is most likely from your wound healing. Remember, everyone heal different. i found if i didn't drink enough water,fiber or i strained...id pay the next day. Also , remember the anus has some of the most sensitive nerve endings. So i personally feel even after the banding, i still feel off sometimes...and im 4 months after

• Edited

hi just wondering if your problems have now resolved? i have leakage of clear fluid and one course of banding has not resolved it.

thanks

• Posted

how many weeks post banding are you?

mine didnt work.

had banding in jan but still have bleeding at least once a week after bm.

i dont really want to go through it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.