Stapled Hemorroidectomy healing time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

The swelling and pain is awful, had internal and external removed. I've passed a lot of blood and blood clots the last two days, the surgeon says it's normal. The stitches hurt too!  I'm 13 days out.  I've had many surgeries, this one takes the cake, ugh.  I see as long as 8 weeks for healing.  Would like to hear from others who had this surgery.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Blossom. I'm on my 2nd week and feeling a big better after a week post op. But I'm having this tag that my surgeon says will shrink eventually.

Hence I feel like I'm having external hemorrhoid again and still painful.

Xx

• Posted

Hi P,

I have a couple pea-sized ones around stitches and they itch and hurt too!  I've read they often go away, I hope so.  I strained a couple days after taking psyllium, won't be doing that again!  Are you laying down mostly still?  I spend most of the day laying down, the swelling is awful, like I still have internal hemmies.

xx

• Posted

I was left a skin tag it shrunk a bit but still there not painful anymore healed after 10 to 11 weeks
    • Posted

Thanks, guys. It's kinda bothersome because the skin tag wasn't originally there after operation. After a few days, it came out very small and now I feel it has become bigger.

Read from other articles that even after a few months the tag is still there.

I actually won't mind if the tag will take time to shrink but I hope it will not be painful when touched asap. Thank God the stitches are not painful anymore.

Xx

• Posted

I'm not too worried about the skin tags personally, but the internal hemorrhoid I had removed, the swelling is awful, and I have a rectocele (rectal prolapse into vagina) and can feel how bad the swelling is, it's a real bummer.  I'm wondering how long it takes the swelling to go away and be healed, I'm due for the rectocele repair scheduled March 15, somehow I don't think I will be able to have that surgery that soon.

• Posted

I can feel the pain you are going through right now (physically and mentally). It feels like I cannot think of anything related to blood / wound / operation for now.

I hope and pray we all heal soon. Regarding your rectocele, I think by March 15 we have recuperated enough. Love lots.

• Posted

P,  thanks for your response, I pray I'm well enough by then to have the surgery, that in itself is very distressing, and the hemmy surgery making it much worse.  I have CNS issues now from medication I took for years, and my immune system is all messed up, so I know it will take me longer to heal.  Blessings and love, and yes prayers for all of us going through this literal hell on earth now sad

xx

• Posted

I got told 2wks healing... it's now coming up to 4 months and I'm still not right!!

The first few weeks are hell. Then there's a sudden leap of improvement. Then as you feel positive, you experience a set back. I'm not going to lie, for me it's been a real mental challenge, but you have to stay strong. This forum has been my life saver, as I think I would of got into a deep depression of worry and anxiety, as my surgeon told me nothing about the aftercare and what I would go through!!

You are still early days, so make sure you keep yourself clean down there, keep up with the fibre & drink plenty of water. Good luck x

• Posted

Carl, 

So sorry to hear you are still suffering.  What are your symptoms?  Do you feel like you are still swollen inside?  When do you feel like you turned a corner?  I so need this rectocele surgery sad

xx Blossom

• Posted

Hi Blossom, to be fair I feel great until I have a b/m. It's painful coming out (but getting easier). When I look, there's a bit inside that still looks quite red, as though it's not healed. I think this is a fissure and causing the problem when I go the loo. I'm not really sure what they can do to resolve it... if only I could put a plaster on it for a few weeks ha x

• Posted

Carl,  lol, funny!  Good to laugh about it as much as it still hurts now.  Tell me when you felt better, and if you can give detail from week 2 on by week it would be so appreciated!

Blossom xx

• Posted

I had my op early evening, I stayed in hospital over night and drove home the next morning. Pain was ok, 1st b/m was unbearable, it felt like glass with lemon juice and it burnt for hours afterwards - this is when I used the pain relief. Even farting was painful at this stage!!

I was traumatised when I first had a look (2nd wk), it looked like the surgeon had used a cookie cutter... in the shape of a gingerbread man!! Lol. Thankfully, it has healed to a nice circular shape... except for the tags Grrrrr

I could always feel it tender inside (still can a bit), but the pain was always ok. It was when I had a b/m and the feeling afterwards that took its toll. The pain afterwards could last hours, but thankfully that reduced & maybe took a month or so for there to be no pain afterwards. It's just getting the 💩 Out that's been the problem. I've stood up, sat down, squatted, manually pushed my cheeks together to get things moving and this has been quite recently!!

At one point I did think I had stenosis, as it felt like a bowling ball was trying to get out, but my 💩 was as thin as a pencil. That made me all anxious and panicking for my future of incontinence or always being in pain etc.

I did go back to work after 2 weeks, which I think was too early. I reckon I should of been off 3-4wks. The worst thing about work is that threat of needing the loo, as wiping was painful, even with moist wipes. I always needed the shower upto about 3 months. Although I still always jump in the shower to make sure it's clean... thankfully this is only once a day!

The road can seem never ending & it can feel like child birth every day when having a 💩. BUT things heal and with healing comes improvement.

As I say, this forum was a life saver, as other people were sharing their experiences, which were similar symptoms, so it took away some of the stress and worry X

• Posted

Wow your pain tolerance must be on another level. I had to stay 3 nights in the hospital given that I also have pain relievers. I can't even sit properly that time as I can definitely feel the stitches.

Hope everything goes well for us. Xx

• Posted

Yes I did have to sit sideways & probably sat like that for a week. 2nd week I could sit properly. Third week was healing up nice. I didn't have stitches, in the UK they leave the wounds open.

For most surgerys they say 6wks healing, so I was going off that in my head. Like I say, I think there's a part that just isn't healing (fissure), which causing the pain when having a 💩. So if it wasn't for that I think I'd be sorted (apart from those tags Grrrrr haha).

It's just an awful operation, if the difficulties after the operation had been explained to me, I would never of had it done. X

• Posted

Lol same. If I had known this would be the most painful operation (as per my surgeon), I don't think I'll go for it. And yes, those tags are just hope-crasher.

Probably I have to erase the 2-week recovery period my doctor said. It's definitely more than that. If I don't have a family who takes care of me I don't know how will I survive.

And yes, this forum helps me calm down a bit and share my frustrations. Thank God. Praying for everyone. Xx

• Posted

I agree, I've had many surgeries, joint, spine, etc, and this is much, much worse.  My surgery was outpatient, and I was glad, I do much better at home in pain than in the hospital.  I couldn't pee the first nite, finally got in the shower and peed standing up in agony, and had to do that all nite the first nite.  Once the packing came out that next day in the shower it was much more bearable.  I didn't poop for 3 days that was rough.  With my rectocele making it even harder to poop it's rough.

The stitches are the bain of my existence, they hurt when I fart, pee, sit, or poop, and the tissue there on anus where they are gets swollen the longer I'm up during the day.  I hope he will remove them today.  Part of one came out on day 7 which worried me, but it's looking better there now. 

I had a biopsy of a lymph node in peritoneal sac the same day as hemorrhoidectomy, and those 3 incisions were nothing compared to this.

Praying this swelling goes down quickly so I can have rectocele repair.  Prayers also for healing for all of us here.  Carl, you may have a fissure, try Marshmallow root & Slippery elm bark, they both should help soothe your colon/rectum.  Also Butcher's Broom & Mullein are good.  I take all of them.

Hugs & blessings, Blossom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.