SVT seems to be back 6 years after ablation.

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.I had an ablation for svt in 2008 where the cardiologist found 2 extra pathways and it seemed to have done the trick until now.Over the last few months I noticed a return of my symptoms which started with the odd flutter but seems to have got quite a bit worse the last 3 weeks or so.When I had svt before I normally had small short fairly frequent short episodes with the odd long one which lasted several hours.This time I am experiencing many small ones and in quick succession so i might have a few seconds,then the rhythm corrects then flutters again.I can have dozens of episodes in the space of half an hour for 2 or 3 hours and then nothing for several hours.I am wondering if anyone has had a recurrence of svt but of a different type as there are quite a few out there.As far as I remember the original problem was in the left side of my heart and was not of a life threatening nature.Have any of you developed a different type of svt or arrhythmia when it has recurred?Very grateful for any replies.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I to had anablation done 15years ago for svt, however in hindsight I think symptoms were treated rather than the cause.Over the last 5 years I have being getting worse and now unable to do any real exercise.(like hill walking,cycling, kayaking). Started feeling sick when pushing myself then "fluttering" in the neck to now tight chest palpitations totaly knackered and really struggling some days at work.Sounds daft but feel I can hardly stand. 4 years ago started back on betablockers which helped for a while but still felt like had hit the wall on days out on the hill.Changed consultant AF was spoke  about- different meds again worked for a short spell then back to problems. Now off all meds and have finaly picked up rhythm abnormalites on a 3day ecg (1 of many ecg/cardio calls). Futher treadmill test showed up things in more detail. Consultant thinks it could be heart block, waiting to speciallist. What I think may have help was I got all the details of my previous SVT problems from my GP (and they were not typical) also chased up details of my EP/ablation . Hope to get sorted in the New Year.

keep an eye on things if they get worse see your GP

• Posted

Thanks for your response Jane.It is so hard trying to find any info regarding svt returning after ablation as pretty much everything I have read suggests this will not happen.I agree that a detailed report on the exact type of svt and location would be so helpful.I was told at the time if the ablation was unsuccessful I would be recommended for a pacemaker which does seem a bit extreme.I will be making an appointment with gp to be referred back to cardiology.......x
  • Posted

Hi, I was also wondering this. I had my ablation 2.5 years ago and about 6 months ago I had 2 episodes where my heart felt the same as pre surgery. It went away pretty quickly using the technique I used prior surgery.

Since then I have been put on 3 different types of medication and with horrible side effects. Now I cant even walk up a flight of stairs without feeling likes its racing, but not the same feeling as my old palpitations. Not sure if its because of the medication.

I saw a cardiologist and he seems to think I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia and not SVT. Waiting on tests to come. He said he doesnt think its the return of SVT as if its returned later than 6 months its VERY rare. I didnt believe that though. Are you on any medication for it at the moment?

• Posted

Hi,

I had an ablation for SVT in 2008 also which was the best thing I ever did. Yes, I do get some weird beats (ectopics mostly) and it does race but nothing like it use to. I feel I may be repeating myself responding to alot of posts, but a second ablation did not cure my ectoics.  I would give it some time.

• Posted

Hey Worried42, I had AVNRT and it came back about 7 years after ablation. It was the exact same thing, same spot and all, but for a few years before the AVNRT was diagnosed it felt like my heart was "jumpy." (My personal theory is that while these pathways are working on regenerating or whatever, it might feel a little different from the full-on SVT.)

For me, this year the AVNRT came back strongly enough so that they could ablate again. It's been about 2 weeks and so far so good. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

How are you doing now annabeth? Hope you are doing great with your second ablation for avnrt. My avnrt returned last week after 4 years since my ablation in 2012. I am still contemplating if i should go for the second ablation. Any feedback?
    • Posted

Hey! Well... actually, the second one doesn't seem to have *quite* worked either. Had one really brief episode about 2 months after, and longer more intense one about 6 months post-ablation. After a holter picked up v-tach, the cardiologists decided to monitor with an implanted loop recorder. I've got, suddenly, a lot of stuff going on - POTS, VVS, and now it looks like some sort of autoimmune thinigie (probably causing all the rest, yikes). I have no idea if the arrhythmias might have been a result of a flare, or still being in the scarring processes. but it seems likely. I haven't had an episode of SVT in about a year, though!

I get the feeling that those of us that have to go for a second ablation are few and far between, but it seems like a lot of people have great luck. Wish you the best!

• Posted

Hi Annabeth, thanks for updating how you are after the second ablation. This is what scares me that my SVT can become worse or my heart problems multiply. I think i will try IV chelation therapy for 20-25 sessions from a naturopathic MD first and see if it can prevent my heart from going to SVT. My first ablation made me SVT free for 4 years, hope IV Chelation can do better. I will update everyone on how i do next time.

• Posted

Hi. I had an ablation about 3 yrs ago. Hated it. But svt stopped. Got lots of ectopic initially but these reduced over time to the odd bout now and then. I went for my follow up a few months later and cardiologist discharged me as is routine. 2 months later I had a svt. I've had a quite a few since then but usually lasting only 10 min or less. A couple have been long ones but nothing I worried about.

About 5 months ago I started getting ectopic quite frequently. Often proceeding a svt. Now I'm getting ectopic daily, often hours at a time.

Went to gp yesterday as starting to feel a tiny bit breathless and a little woozy at times. She's arranged for am ecg next week and waiting for holter monitor.

She suggested they may not all be svt but be heart trying to have one then been kicked back down. Said she will refer me back to cardiologist.

I'm just about to start a new job. So not a happy bunny.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. Helps when feeling a bit low.

• Posted

Hi yes we are on the sane boat. Im still having lots of ectopic beat or pvcs. I am a nurse and hooked up my self to the portable monitor in the hospital thats why im sure what it is. Sometimes i have couplets when i feel tired. Thinking more about it makes it even more frequent so i just tried to ignore it but hard. My last svt of 240 per minute was last january 2017. My skipped beats went away for 2 months then it came back again. I am now trying to take supplements to help quiet my heart like magnessium potassium CoQ10 stress B vitamins B complex plusvit C and zinc. I am also having accupuncture for it im on my 3rd session now and it seems to help every after i had an accupuncture but still too early to say. I will update you next when accupuncture works Hope the accupuncture can save me from another ablation.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine there is just no escape from these

blasted ectopics! I too am going to try the

supplements a lot of people seem to have

some degree of improvement, dont know if I can have another ablation as EP did RBBB damage doing the ablation although he said

I had recovered! I had breast cancer 5 years ago and wondered if the radiation had caused scar tissue I was also on PPIs for 5 years and heard this can cause your body to not absorb vitamins and mi nerals eg magnesium although bloods did not show this, I think I will also try acupuncture as I had it in the past and found it helped for back problems, the depression is the worst thing as I have gone from walking 5 miles a day last year to living on the settee as any movement brings them on even more! Any advice is very much appreciated Elaine, keep me posted on your progress.

Regards

Ingrid

• Posted

I agree Ingrid i guess we just have to learn to live with our pvcs. The more we think about it the more it will act up. Thumbs up on the accupuncture and i am also looking for a clinic in southern california about energy enhancement system. I would like to try it also but so hard to find a location nearby.
    • Posted

You are sure to have better luck than me I live in Northern Ireland so services like that would be impossible to find, but good luck with your search and let me know how if and when you have the treatment how you get on.

Ingrid

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I had SVT in 2006 and my 1st ablation did not quite do the trick but after a second one years later, I am SVT free and it is wonderful.  But 2 years later I started with the darn ectopics! I seem to manage them OK with diet etc.  So just maybe you need another ablation. It is worth it. Love this forum. Let me know what happens.

• Posted

Just so you all know,  SVT and heart block are not the same thing.  Heart block can happen if the area burned out during an ablation is too close to the channel through which the electrical signal must pass from one chamber of the heart to another; it can cause the heart to not pump properly, and can cause arrhythmias.  
    • Posted

No, it couldn't smile If Your EP had done ablation too close, You would have got the block instantly after surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.